As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Great Dalmuti

The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, OmeganautRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2006 in PAX Archive
I'm gonna try to remember to bring my Great Dalmuti card game this year.

Anyone interested in playing?

BLM - ACAB
The Geek on

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    I am.

A great game for a group.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • GrifmastaGrifmasta Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Never played.. but I'll p[lay any game...so I'm in also

Grifmasta on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    Back when I was in the dorms, I once played this with some friends for about 12 hours straight.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    The Geek wrote:
    Back when I was in the dorms, I once played this with some friends for about 12 hours straight.

We'd play it once in a while during a weekly game night thing.

When playing once, I read the rules and saw something about a 'Greater Revolution'. I brought it up and was like 'wow, this has never happened in all the games we've played.

The next round? Greater Revolution. :o In all the games that we've ever played, it's only happened twice.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited February 2006
    what are the basics of this game?

Grifmasta on
    edited February 2006
    Grifmasta wrote:

Cards are numbered 1-12

There are 12 of the 12s, 11 of the 11s, etc. Smaller number is better rank.

One person starts a trick, and lays down a number of cards of the same rank. Such as four 12s. The next person can either play the same amount of cards of equal or better rank, or choose to pass.

And so it goes around the table until there is one full circle of everyone passing. The person who laid down the best ranked group of cards wins that trick and starts the next trick.

For example, the first person lays down four 12s, the next lays down four 11s, the next passes, the next lays down four 9s, the next passes, the next also lays down four 9s, and the next lays down four 5s. It keeps going around with everyone passing because they cannot or choose not to play until it gets back to the person who played the 5s. That person can then choose to play on those cards, or end the trick. If he ends the trick, he gets to go first for the next trick.

The object of the game is to get rid of all your cards. The first person to do so gets the top seat in the next hand, and so on. Then you start a new hand. The top seat always starts the first trick of the next hand.

The game ends when you just don't feel like playing any more.

EDIT: There are more rules that deal with Revolutions(the top 2 seats switch with the bottom 2 seats), Tributes(the bottom 2 seats must give the top seats their 2 or 1 best cards), and wild cards(for playing during a trick, so you can play four 2s), but this covers the basics.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited February 2006
    I'll play it.. I like that type of game

Grifmasta on
  • flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    yeah im totally intrigued...

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2006
    The Geek wrote:
    Grifmasta wrote:

Cards are numbered 1-12

There are 12 of the 12s, 11 of the 11s, etc. Smaller number is better rank.

One person starts a trick, and lays down a number of cards of the same rank. Such as four 12s. The next person can either play the same amount of cards of equal or better rank, or choose to pass.

And so it goes around the table until there is one full circle of everyone passing. The person who laid down the best ranked group of cards wins that trick and starts the next trick.

For example, the first person lays down four 12s, the next lays down four 11s, the next passes, the next lays down four 9s, the next passes, the next also lays down four 9s, and the next lays down four 5s. It keeps going around with everyone passing because they cannot or choose not to play until it gets back to the person who played the 5s. That person can then choose to play on those cards, or end the trick. If he ends the trick, he gets to go first for the next trick.

The object of the game is to get rid of all your cards. The first person to do so gets the top seat in the next hand, and so on. Then you start a new hand. The top seat always starts the first trick of the next hand.

The game ends when you just don't feel like playing any more.

EDIT: There are more rules that deal with Revolutions(the top 2 seats switch with the bottom 2 seats), Tributes(the bottom 2 seats must give the top seats their 2 or 1 best cards), and wild cards(for playing during a trick, so you can play four 2s), but this covers the basics.

so...it's rich man poor man

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
    edited February 2006
    Yeah, I've heard of it called a couple other things and played with a few decks of standard playing cards.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Beige ATMBeige ATM Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Isn't it effectively completely pre-determined? I can see a very rare situation where a player would be able to choose what to play (4 6s or 4 5s, for example), but wouldn't the advantage always be with playing the higher rank?

Beige ATM on
    And if the music stops... there's only the sound of the rain
    All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain
    And if love remains, though everything is lost,
    We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost.

Rush - "Bravado"
  • jandrewsjandrews Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    I've played it before, it's hella fun...but when we play it we call it "Asshole" :P
    Top two are Pres and Vice Pres bottom two are vice ass and ass...good times, especially with a few dozen brew.

jandrews on
    edited March 2006
    Beige ATM wrote:
    Isn't it effectively completely pre-determined? I can see a very rare situation where a player would be able to choose what to play (4 6s or 4 5s, for example), but wouldn't the advantage always be with playing the higher rank?

But if you play all of your higher ranks right away, you'll never get rid of your lower ranks and thus lose the hand.

There is a lot of strategy involved. You need to know what to play when, and when to hold back.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • jandrewsjandrews Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Yeah, there's nothing worse then wasting all your good cards early then having to pass on everything else :(

jandrews on
  • NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    i might play.

Nephirij on
  • Beige ATMBeige ATM Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Fair enough ;)

Beige ATM on
    And if the music stops... there's only the sound of the rain
    All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain
    And if love remains, though everything is lost,
    We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost.

Rush - "Bravado"
  • groovegroove Enforcer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I'll bring my deck, you know I'm down!

groove on
    [E]
    axlky.jpg