Options

[OOC] Exalted: 100 Kingdoms, 100 Woes (battle in the underworld ooo wee ooo)

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    well yeah

but when i'm trying to recruit new people who are worried about the complexities of the system and you start telling them Exalted is always 100% complicated, it might scare off the prospects.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    yeah, the group it looks like i'm working with will be fresh blood, so i don't think the game will be deadly for quite a long while :P

it's going to be pretty loose. which brings me to my next question, who has the book?

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    not me, this would be contingent upon you using the exaltered/lite thing that was freely available.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    well you need the core book to use that anyway, and I'm not using Exaltered. no rules for other exalted makes Arc an angry frog

I'll figure something out

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    well, shit

this'd be my only reason to buy the core book so i'll have to think that over.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I should have the book by Friday, it might be earlier but Friday for sures.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    well, if anyone has the book at the moment and wants to start rolling up a character/discussing concepts, feel free to go ahead.

also don't worry about niche protection or considering group roles or anything like that. we don't need a striker, controller, leader and defender. :P

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Arcanis won't let me use my cheering bard.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    well, you know, I'm allergic to lame

so sorry, it's a health concern ok

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was trying to think up a way to make combat faster in core, anything I could think of was potentially unbalancing, and I've never played Exalted, so it's difficult for me to judge how much a change would affect things.

My main thought was to require declaring (and possibly rolling) defensive charms in advance, so the attacker would have all the information needed to figure out how much damage they would do. I couldn't really see how this would work with some charms like perfect defenses though. And of course defensive charms would have to have their prices adjusted.

I have a couple big assignments due tomorrow... I'll try to come up with a character sheet over the weekend. I was thinking of doing a Night Caste assassin.

Papillon on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Papillon wrote: »
    My main thought was to require declaring (and possibly rolling) defensive charms in advance, so the attacker would have all the information needed to figure out how much damage they would do. I couldn't really see how this would work with some charms like perfect defenses though. And of course defensive charms would have to have their prices adjusted.

If you do this, then Exalted combat changes from favoring a defender to STARKLY favoring an offensive opponent, because the defender has to blow Essence every round, where the attacker doesn't if he doesn't think he'll hit. So it'll speed up combat, sure, but it'll hurt defensive warriors who can normally see an attack roll and thus know whether they have to boost their DV's or not before doing so.

Basically, you'd be totally reversing the combat style of Exalted. Which if that's the intent, cool... but it'll very dramatically change the balancing.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Basically, you'd be totally reversing the combat style of Exalted. Which if that's the intent, cool... but it'll very dramatically change the balancing.

I did say I couldn't come up with anything that didn't unbalance the game :)

Papillon on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am also interested in playering in teh Exalted. :P

I have the book so no problems there.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I am going to make an Abyssal guys

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I thought your campaign idea was killing all of the Abyssals.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, Abyssals don't really work together very well.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    yeah, I don't care what you guys end up playing. I do encourage you guys to connect with each other in some way though (kind of like a six degrees of separation thing)

otherwise if we end up with a mixed exalt party (which I'm fine with) I don't want to do SO YOU ALL START IN A TAVERN...

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Is there a good place to read up on the various nations/peoples of Creation? I wouldn't mind starting on a backstory but the wiki really only gave a summary of past events, and not much on what was around/happening NOW other than the scarlet empress disappearing.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Where will the characters be starting?

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    that's a very good question papillon. Horseshoe's character hails from the north, and that's all I have so far. it really doesn't matter too much to me where y'all start, so if you have someplace in particular you'd like to explore say the word.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    LeshanLeshan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm definitely interested in joining an Exalted game. I was thinking of a Lunar No Moon sorceress who hails from the north. I'll put together a character in a bit and post it in a bit to see if you'll ok it Arcanis.

Leshan on
    Character Sheet for Silver Squadron game: Kalen
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I guess I'll post character sheet when I've got it all worked out with Arcanis.

But so far what I've got is a Twilight Caste mystic/prophet/sorcerer type of guy... as far as personality goes, kind of a space case.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    GraycoinGraycoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I haven't looked into the setting of Exalted so much really, so I don't have much in the way of setting suggestions so far. I'll be sure to look into that, but uh, quick question concerning character concepts. You said this would be more combat oriented if you ran it; does that mean castes like the Eclipse caste are going to be less useful, or?

I may just roll up a Twilight anyway, but it does kind of depend on what the group ends up coagulating into. ;-)

Edit: just saw that Horseshoe's thinking of a Twilight...I could easily pick something else, unless we manage to differentiate our Twilights? I think it is easy to make two of the same caste decently distinct, isn't it?

Graycoin on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Graycoin wrote: »
    I haven't looked into the setting of Exalted so much really, so I don't have much in the way of setting suggestions so far. I'll be sure to look into that, but uh, quick question concerning character concepts. You said this would be more combat oriented if you ran it; does that mean castes like the Eclipse caste are going to be less useful, or?

I may just roll up a Twilight anyway, but it does kind of depend on what the group ends up coagulating into. ;-)

Edit: just saw that Horseshoe's thinking of a Twilight...I could easily pick something else, unless we manage to differentiate our Twilights? I think it is easy to make two of the same caste decently distinct, isn't it?

Just because you're Eclipse Caste doesn't mean you're useless in a fight. It doesn't even mean you can't fight as well as a Dawn Caste.

It just means that your natural Caste Abilities fall into different areas. Favored Abilities, however, work eXACTLY like Caste Abilities, so drop one into a combat stat you like and another into Dodge or Resistance or something, and you'll be perfectly fine.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    My character's a Twilight, but when I'm a player I just don't care about that shit.

There's certain things he can do better than others, but it has little effect on the type of dude he is or his background or whatever. Really, my concept for him is prophet/mystic, which as spelled out is a "Zenith" thing. But I don't care about that (Zeniths sound pretty gay to me anyways) because apparently I can build a dude however I want.

Mechanically, he's a Twilight Caste with terrestrial circle, some combat charms, and so many dots filled in on this or that.

But as to his role in things otherwise who the hell cares? In a lot of ways, his character concept resembles a Sidereal more than a Solar. Who knows, maybe I'll end up playing him that way once I have it figured out.

All the sheet does is tell you how to roll the dice.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    well being a zenith means you have a big circle on your forehead.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    which one uses their fingers to make a big L on their forehead

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Core-book has been gotten. I've started to read through it, but damn that is a lot of information.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    which one uses their fingers to make a big L on their forehead

That'd be the Dragon-bloods.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ok, I haven't gotten too far into the mechanics portion but I have the starting of his background.
    He was a member of Cherak's military, specifically part of a unit who's task was defense against the undead whom plague the area. During one mission his unit was overwhelmed and were suffering heavy casualties when a sudden power flowed through him. He quickly dispatched the remaining undead only to be met with stares of horror from his fellow soldiers, for they recognized what he had become. Quiet murmurs began as the soldiers wondered what they should do and he fled into the wilderness, unwilling to fight his former friends.

A few nights later he approached Cherak by cover of night intending to steal in and escape with his wife and child only to find that a wyld hunt had been formed by the local chapterhouse. They had burnt his home to the ground along with his family in their zeal to find him. With nothing left he fled...

Does anyone see anything wrong or problematic with what I have so far? I'll probably fill in a bit more of the prelude after I read more of the book and the afterwards when we decide where we are starting.

Last Son on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Then there's the Twilight caste.

Who's symbol is basically :D

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Or the night caste, looks like somebody forgot to use a coaster :P

edit: so far as location goes, I'm fine with working in the north. It'd be different if nothing else. No real ideas as far as a character but I was thinking of some ideas for a guy from the west (Yarr? I think not. but the temptation is there). but I don't know yet.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm thinking a Dusk caste Abyssal who has escaped her Deathlord -- she's on the run, and doing what she can to help the world (although it's in her nature, as an abyssal, to cause suffering and grief regardless of her intent.)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm thinking a Dusk caste Abyssal who has escaped her Deathlord -- she's on the run, and doing what she can to help the world (although it's in her nature, as an abyssal, to cause suffering and grief regardless of her intent.)

The best part about being an Abyssal on the run is that if you do things that normal people do(like using a real name, or sleeping under the same roof with living people, or saving people from death) you gain Resonance which then bleeds off to kill more people, or at high levels, create shadowlands.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Whoah, really?

Awesome, I need to get my hands on these rules.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh yeah. It's called Resonance, and it's the Abyssals version of Limit, basically.

Except if you want you can drain it off at any time by making a huge bloody mess.

And if you don't then it just makes a bloodier mess.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What book is this in

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh yes, are there naming conventions anywhere for the various regions, or should I just wing it and come up with something?

Also, how important is having one of the perfect defense skills? I don't really want to get dodge, but the parry skill has like 4 pre-reqs in addition to costing an additional mote.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What book is this in

Oh, that's from 1E Abyssals.

Which is a fantastic book(sort of,) if you want to run around and look for it... but 2E is coming out shortly so it's not really worth it at this point.

Rainfall on