Options

Aspect Scaling and Brightness issues with my Gateway monitor. Please help.

DrezDrez Registered User regular
Okay, so, I have a Gateway FPD2185W. It's a 21" Gateway monitor with the following inputs:

- VGA
- DVI
- Composite
- Component

It has four aspect scaling modes. 1:1, Zoom, Wide, and Panoramic. It supports "up to 1080i" and the max PC resolution is 1680x1050.

I have my PC hooked up via VGA. All is fine on that front.

Until today I had my PS3 and Xbox 360 connected to the monitor via component through a pelican A/V switcher. This worked fine and scaling was, more or less, on the money. I just set them both to 1080i and my monitor to 1:1, though occasionally the monitor would stretch the display to fill every pixel for some reason and the only way to fix it would be to unplug the power cable from the monitor and plug it back in. 480i and 480p did not scale correctly and 720p is way, way too jaggy, so I just used 1080i. The only scaling issue I had was with PS2 games in the PS3. I still haven't figured that out and I'm too tired to discuss it right now...one problem at a time.

The main problem with using component on this monitor is the gamma/brightness. It fucking blows. With brightness set to 100, it's almost impossible to see shit. Like yesterday when I turned Condemned 2 on and it asks you to set your gamma? Well it gives you a black display with white eyes and tells you to adjust the gamma until you can "barely see the eyes" - a fairly standard gamma test in many games. I couldn't even make out eye shapes until I turned the in-game gamma up to 75 (from the default of 50). And that's with my brightness turned all the way up on the monitor itself with 100 in each color for the color/gamma settings!

Anyway, I'm not trying to fix that little problem. I googled it and that's a known issue with the monitor. Gamma via component sucks. No workaround. This means I cannot watch Blu Ray films or HD-DVDs through component as it's just too dark.

Soooooo I decided to get an HDMI-to-DVI cable today. Gamma is fantastic but I'm having trouble with aspect scaling now, of course! And I cannot find any concrete information.

With the Xbox 360, I am given multiple resolutions. At 1280x720 which is a true 16x9 resolution, the monitor stretches the display to fill the entire screen no matter which aspect scaling mode I set it to.

1360x768, however, which is damn close to 16x9 but not actually 16x9, gives me more or less the correct display. With 1:1 it centers the display in a small box, but with "zoom" it gives the correct ratio I believe with the minor discrepancy between 1360x768 and 16x9. So that's fine, but I'm curious as to why this resolution would not override aspect scaling but the others will? Isn't that weird?

The other problem is that the PS3 only offers 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i (not resolutions like the Xbox 360) and no matter what the monitor only seems to stretch the display to fit the entire screen. 1:1 does, roughly, diddly-squat.

Any clues?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on