As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So, how about that half-life 2?

RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
It's a pretty cool game, right?
That's why i'm trying to play Episode one. Except I can't. I just finished HL2 (late to the party woo) and installed episode one, yet am encountering every error ever when i try to play it. At first i was getting what is apparently a common error that no one knows how to fix properly, some message like IDirectDrive9::present() or whatnot. So, I reinstall directx, and restart my computer. That usually works. I start up episode one, start a new game, but instead of making it through most of the opening sequence, like it usually does, it fucking BLUESCREENS ME. So, I shutdown my computer, restart it to another goddamn error message telling me drive 5 cannot be found yada yada, and I come to the pennies arcade to ask for assistance.

So uh.
what do i do?

TL: DR
Half life 2 works fine, episode one is far far from fine

RubberAC on

• Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Have you tried forcing DX8 mode? To do this, type -dxlevel 81 in Startup Options. It won't be quite as pretty, but it might make it run.

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yeah i tried that originally, but i'm thinking maybe the crash then was because i had been fucking with the resolution settings. I always forget my computer isn't actually awesome.

RubberAC on
  • wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, I shutdown my computer, restart it to another goddamn error message telling me drive 5 cannot be found yada yada
    What's the actual error?

And standard "update graphics drivers", "update windows", etc. etc. thing goes here.

If you've got TF2, Portal, or HL2:Ep2, then try one of them out. How do they run? A newer version of source was used for HL2:Ep1, and then an even newer version was used for the rest of the games. Some compatibility thing might've changed when they switched to a new engine.

wabbiteh on
    edited March 2008
    I can actually play Portal and TF2 pretty steadily.
    Portal actually ran without a hitch
    I can't remember the error screen
    is there a way i can find it

RubberAC on
    edited March 2008
    So apparently reinstalling directx has fucked me over
    because now i get 5 seconds in and get bluescreened, but just a plain blue screen
    no DELETING MEMORY or anything, like im used to

RubberAC on
    edited March 2008
    Well. I solved the problem.
    By switching to the computer that can't handle Tf2 or Portal
    ugh, so ridiculous

RubberAC on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If your computer bluescreens when you reinstall DirectX I think it has some problems deep within it that go beyond "I can't run Episode 1."

TychoCelchuuu on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Different problem here, same game. Well, Episode 1.

I just started the chapter Urban Flight, but Alyx won't move out of the elevator. I tried running out and moving through the game but she just gets left behind. Also tried using the console to create a new Alyx, but she just stands there too, runs backwards if I move towards her. How can I fix this?

KalTorak on
    edited March 2008
    If your computer bluescreens when you reinstall DirectX I think it has some problems deep within it that go beyond "I can't run Episode 1."

hahaha trust me, I know.
    As far as i can see this doesn't really have a solution aside from " reinstall game, reinstall directx, etc, see what happens"

blarg

RubberAC on