As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PSP Game Suggestion Thread #9001

KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
Let's make this one quick. Couldn't find a good thread for a list of games.

Getting some oral surgery (:winky:) done Wednesday, looking to pick up something to play while I'm doing this supposed recovering the dentist feller spoke to me of.

Planning on getting Dungeon Explorer (don't try to talk me out of it, man), but I have a feeling it won't be in stock, so I'd like ideas on nice used games I could get in case they don't have it.

Games I own: Patapon, Disgaea, MHF2, Parappa, MGS: PO.

Is Metal Gear Acid any good? I could probably pick that up cheap with one or two other used games based on the price.

Really, just name me good games that I could pick up cheap. I'll do some research via youtube and whatnot to see if they're worth the time.

Also, which is the better of the two PSP GTAs?

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
Kaseius on

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 are dirt cheap nowadays; weren't my cup of tea, but I've heard to just go ahead and get the second one since it has a ton of gameplay refinements.

Many of the launch titles are cheap and awesome: I saw Wipeout Pure for $6.99 used, and Hot Shots Golf can be had for about $12.99 or so. Lumines I and/or II should be cheap, but many places had them jacked up since the original was useful for homebrew back in the day.

If you can find it, the Gradius Collection is also around $12 or $13, and I believe the first Syphon Filter (Dark Mirror) is only $20 new. And I think Jeanne D'Arc is only $25 or $30 new.

EDIT: And for new non-cheap titles: God of War: Chains of Olympus looks fantastic, and FF7: Crisis Core drops next week.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Are there any good dungeon crawler type games besides Dungeon Explorer, or even RPGs?

Kaseius on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Your lack of FFT disturbs me, as that's the only PSP game I own. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    RPG wise, If you can find a copy, Brave Story is quite good. I enjoyed that one alot.

Also, if you are a Strat-RPG fan, Wild Arms XF just came out this past week, and while I havent played alot in it yet, It is appearing to be pretty good so far.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

I know, I should get it, but I've already got Disgaea and I already played FFT on the PS1. :(

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Kaseius wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I know, I should get it, but I've already got Disgaea and I already played FFT on the PS1. :(

No excuse! :) This one is completely redone. Better dialog, shaper graphics, and better cut scenes. But yeah... Do what you want with it. Rent it, maybe?

urahonky on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Puzzle Quest

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    If you can find it, the Gradius Collection is also around $12 or $13, and I believe the first Syphon Filter (Dark Mirror) is only $20 new. And I think Jeanne D'Arc is only $25 or $30 new.

Jeanne d'Arc is an excellent game.

If you like platformers and enjoy the art and music style of Patapon, get Loco Roco.

If you like quirky Japanese RPGs, try Riviera: the Promised Land -- although the PSP port (of the GBA port of the WonderSwan Color original) eats batteries kind of fast because it loads too often, it's a fun game with unique mechanics.

I enjoyed a puzzle-platformer called Exit, in which you have to rescue people from disaster scenes in a time limit. It's heavy on memorization though, as you have to execute your plan fast and precisely but also carefully and deliberately so you don't die.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Are there any good dungeon crawler type games besides Dungeon Explorer, or even RPGs?

The PSP Dungeon Siege is really good, especially if you liked the two Dungeon Siege games on the PC.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Couple Final Fantasy Tactics with the (fourth? fifth?) remake of FF1 and those will keep you occupied for a loooong time. Don't even touch FF2, it's terrible.

Do get Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2; they're like $7 and $10 now. There's no reason not to get them.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Is Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth any good?

Kaseius on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wild Arms XF is definitely worth getting. Love the gameplay, hex based is definitely awesome, though it takes getting used to. Also, the game does not rely on grinding, but rather on strategy and planning. Story is kinda mehh, but the gameplay is excellent. I'm really disappointed there's no thread about it here.

Also, Metal Gear Acid 2 is going for $10 used, and is worth every penny. The game is deep and addictive, if you're into card games.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Puzzle Quest

Kenninator on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Also, for a more traditional rpg experience, Brave Story: New Traveller is a decent game to pick up, though its a bit pricey still.

lostwords on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Metal Gear Acid 1&2 were both a lot of fun, if you like card based/turn based gameplay you'll love them

Jeanne D'Arc, Final Fantasy Tactics and Valkyrie Profile are all great titles as well RPG wise, Brave Story isn't bad either. Puzzle Quest is excellent, but the companion are bugged and don't work correctly.

As was said earlier, Crisis Core and God of War are due out next week and I've heard good things about each.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    Wild Arms XF is definitely worth getting. Love the gameplay, hex based is definitely awesome, though it takes getting used to. Also, the game does not rely on grinding, but rather on strategy and planning. Story is kinda mehh, but the gameplay is excellent. I'm really disappointed there's no thread about it here.

Also, Metal Gear Acid 2 is going for $10 used, and is worth every penny. The game is deep and addictive, if you're into card games.

Hmm.. I might try picking up WAXF and MGA2 then.. the reviews on WAXF didn't seem so hot but it seemed like his complaints were that either it was too hard or he sucked at it.

Looks like it might come down to these choices then:

Dungeon Siege + MGA2

WAXF

FFT

Valkyrie Profile + MGA2

That is, unless I take one of my 360 games in to broaden spending options.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    GTA Vice is the better of the 2 GTAs, to answer your original Q.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    lostwords wrote: »

Hmm.. I might try picking up WAXF and MGA2 then.. the reviews on WAXF didn't seem so hot but it seemed like his complaints were that either it was too hard or he sucked at it.

Yeah, that seems to be a common complaint, but thats what makes it awesome. Every mission isn't "kill all the bad guys, use the same dudes over and over". There is a wide variety of mission types (the usual kill all dudes, survive, sneaking, puzzle solving, bodyguarding, etc etc), the game forces you to think about a strategy for each map by studying the map and enemies, and changing your character's classes is a must. A few of the missions are really tough, but that makes beating them all the more rewarding.

lostwords on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you like SRPG's, there's no reason why you shouldn't own FFT and Jeanne d'Arc. They're both fantastic.

There's also Killzone: Liberation (which I have to recommend every time someone asks about PSP games). Instead of halfassing a FPS on the PSP, they made it a third person shooter with a top-down isometric camera. Here's an example screen. It's probably the best western game I've played on the PSP.

MGA and MGA2 are both good games but they can get annoying at times. The biggest annoyance I had was just the cards, I hate it when developers introduce them as a random element. If you can get over that though, they're both pretty good.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If you like SRPG's, there's no reason why you shouldn't own FFT and Jeanne d'Arc. They're both fantastic.

There's also Killzone: Liberation (which I have to recommend every time someone asks about PSP games). Instead of halfassing a FPS on the PSP, they made it a third person shooter with a top-down isometric camera. Here's an example screen. It's probably the best western game I've played on the PSP.

MGA and MGA2 are both good games but they can get annoying at times. The biggest annoyance I had was just the cards, I hate it when developers introduce them as a random element. If you can get over that though, they're both pretty good.

Oh yeah, I really, really liked the demo for Killzone.. about how long is the game itself?

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Kaseius wrote:
    Valkyrie Profile + MGA2

This.

These two will last you for ages.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

Oh yeah, I really, really liked the demo for Killzone.. about how long is the game itself?

With the patch and DLC (which is free btw), single player campaign should be around 5-6 hours long but there's a ton of other stuff to do too (unlock weapons, unlock abilities, unlock multiplayer skins, co-op mode and online play). In total, I've apparently played it for around 25 hours (which really surprised me), all of which was spent playing single player and co-op (I'm not much of an online player).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Please get MGA2, it's so much better than the first, and you can unlock my card with TheSpaniard in the password screen. The game is only like 15 bucks new now.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Please get MGA2, it's so much better than the first, and you can unlock my card with TheSpaniard in the password screen. The game is only like 15 bucks new now.

I always put a copy of your card in my decks for you Spaniard. That and its kinda nifty.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Well, I got it.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    and you can unlock my card with TheSpaniard in the password screen.

...and what a card

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Get Hot Shots.

Seriously

GET HOT SHOTS.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As my PSP was my first playstation console...

Me+My Katamari, Killzone: Liberation, Metal Gear Acid, Wipeout: Pure/Pulse, FFT, Daxter...
    They may not be console versions, but for someone like myself who is new to all the PS franchises they're darn good playing. For this reason I often clash with many review sites; they seem to want everything on the PSP to be "the PS2 version but smaller resolution." The DS seems to have escaped this by being something completely different that you can't really port console games to. Having never owned a PS2, lacking joysticks for katamari or missing jak really doesn't factor in for me, so I'm perfectly happy with what's here.

If you're into the rhythm games, DJ MAX 1 and 2 are well worth it. I got bored halfway through Valkyrie Profile, but that probably just says more about my attention span than anything else.
    (That game is seriously the most depressing thing I've ever played, though. "I'm dying and losing the one I love!" 'Oh, don't worry, you can fight in my magical zombie army and everything will be ok.' "You mean I'll be reunited with my lost lover?!" 'No, not really. You'll still die, you just get to be cannon fodder for a while until I ship you off to corporate.')
    Killzone isn't terribly long, but can be a touch difficult at times. Downloadable bonus missions and online multiplayer stretch it some.
    No offense to the VP:Lenneth and MGA crowds, but if you want something to last you a while... FFT can be a 300+ hour sink even if you aren't the "100% completion is mandatory" type.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Has anyone tried Coded Arms: Contagion? Please tell me it's better than the first one.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Final Fantasy Tactics used to be my favorite game of all time.

Now it's War of the Lions. The changes they've made and all of the new content make it completely worth a purchase, even if you have the PS1 original. There is absolutely no reason to not own this game if you have a PSP. If not for some slight slowdown problems, it would be pretty much perfect.

And though they've already been discussed in this thread, I'd like to put in some strong recommendations for Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and the Metal Gear Acid series. And if you don't mind importing, you should also go for Tales of Eternia (there's a region-free English version out in... Australia? Or perhaps the UK? Both?), which is sometimes called the best of the Tales seres and certainly makes for a great portable experience.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Final Fantasy Tactics used to be my favorite game of all time.

Now it's War of the Lions. The changes they've made and all of the new content make it completely worth a purchase, even if you have the PS1 original. There is absolutely no reason to not own this game if you have a PSP. If not for some slight slowdown problems, it would be pretty much perfect.

Agreed. The slowdown is annoying, but the fact that the dialog is redone makes it so awesome. Seriously, I've played through FFT on the PSX at least 5 or 6 times, and memorized everything they said. War of the Lions comes in and SMASHES that to pieces and sprinkles a ton of awesome on the top of it.

Or something.

Anyway, the rewriting makes the game so much better than the original.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh, and I totally forgot about Mega Man Powered Up, which is most definitely among the best games on the system.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Throw in Maverick Hunter X while we're on the subject of Capcom. It's harder than the SNES original (if you played it to death like I did as a kid) and beating it with both X and Vile on Hard will suck up a decent amount of time.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    And though we're deviating farther and farther from the RPG flavoring the OP seemed concerned with, I'd also pretty strongly recommend Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles.

Man, the PSP has so many incredible games. Any hate that the system gets these days is almost completely unfounded.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    geestackgeestack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    RPG wise, If you can find a copy, Brave Story is quite good. I enjoyed that one alot.

Stepping in a little late, but yeah, if you want an RPG, this is probably the best traditional RPG on the platform. The battles, although random, are really fast paced and fun, the art and graphics are really some of the most vibrant and pleasant the system has to offer. I put in about 40 hours into it, and that was just the main storyline. Some people say the story is a little lightweight, but I enjoyed it.

It may be blasphemy to some, but I actually enjoyed this game more than Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2, and in some ways Brave Story kind of apes it a little, but it was a much more pleasant experience for me.

Off the topic of RPGs, I would actually suggest both Syphon Filter games. The first one, Dark Mirror, is greatest hits, so it's only like $19.99. The second one, Logan's Shadow, is way better, but full price. I believe the Playstation PC store has demos for both, so you should check them out if you get a chance.
    Zeromus wrote: »
    And though we're deviating farther and farther from the RPG flavoring the OP seemed concerned with, I'd also pretty strongly recommend Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles.

Man, the PSP has so many incredible games. Any hate that the system gets these days is almost completely unfounded.

Totally agree. Out of all the consoles, PSP is the one I frequent the most these days.

geestack on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tales of Eternia is a good RPG as well.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Alright, so now I'm playing MGA2, and I don't understand how equipment works. I got it to somehow work on the tutorial level, but that's about it. :(

Kaseius on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    61R8MXB1QNL._AA280_.jpg

There is no better game.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've only got MGA1, so this might have changed some, but here's how equipment works.

"Equip" style weapons-
    To use these you must equip a weapon and then load it with ammo.
    You do this by equipping a base gun to one of your open equipment slots and then 'loading' it by equipping a second "equip-style" weapon that uses the same ammo on the same equipment spot. Please note, this requires multiple cards. They're almost like energy cards in a pokemon deck or something, if that makes sense.

So a simple process of firing, say, an AK74 involves the following.

1- Your turn starts; you have an AK74 card in your hand. We'll say that for now you only have one AK74 card in your hand.
    2- You select this card and "equip" it to one of your open equipment slots. (Or just replace one of the pieces of equipment you already have.)
    3- You move, draw more cards, roundhouse kick someone, whatever. Your turn ends. The AK74 you equipped remains equipped.
    4- Your turn rolls around again. Some cards fly on screen, and behold! a second AK74 card! Since we already have an AK74 equipped, this one will be used as the 'loading' card. Basically it is an ammo card. To fire the AK74 you equipped, simply select the second one in your hand and 'equip' it over top of the first one. Since you've now loaded the gun it can be fired, and will go straight to target select. usually equip-style guns have a "grid square" target system instead of just "pick which guy/camera you wanna hit", which can make equip-style guns more effective at spray+pray area attacks (some of them have multi-tile shot spreads).
    5- Fire, by selecting the grid square you want to target / don't fire, hit the cancel button to return to the previous screen- equipped gun remains equipped, ammo gun goes back to your hand.
    6- Assuming you fired, the 'ammo' AK74 card disapears, but the 'Equipped' AK74 is still equipped. This means that had you drawn two more AK74 cards instead of just one you could load and fire the second one as well (as long as you have enough actions left.)

So that's basic firing.
    Advantages to 'equip-style' weapons:

Any card that uses the same ammo type can be used as ammo for an equipped gun- i.e. if you have an MP5 (takes 9mm ammo) equipped and you have a 9mm pistol in your hand, you can use the pistol as ammo for the MP5.

Whatever the 'equipped' card is determines what is fired. Say you have a silenced, laser-scoped, hand-aligned, custom-paintjob pwn FNP90 equipped and you draw a regular FNP90 and decide to use it as ammo: Since the pwn P90 is the one 'equipped', the game uses the pwn gun's stats when you take the shot instead of just using regular P90 stats.

Equipped guns can 'counter.' When you are hit by an opponent you usually just sit there and take it; however, if you have a gun equipped when you're hit there is a chance you'll whip it out and fire back. You don't need ammo for it, but if you do counter that gun becomes unequipped and is sent to the (invisible) discard pile. I'm not sure, but i think you might have to be fired on by an equipped gun to counter with one.

I like getting 3-4 each of USP, USP-laser sighted, and Single Action Army revolvers - all .45 caliber. Since they're so ammo-interchangeable I'm almost never without a weapon- be advised, though.
    Should you decide to go all- or mostly- 'equip-style' weapon cards you'll more likely than not run into a few turns where you cannot load the gun you have equipped or don't have the right ammo type. for this reason i usually pack a SOCOM or FAMAS or two for instant gratification.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The regular handgun cards are quite useful early on though, the ones where they do a set amount of damage rather than requiring you to equip and load them. I used those till the enemy started wearing armour that makes them do pretty much nothing.

Kelor on