As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Changing Majors?

kathoskathos Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm a politics student, hating it. Thinking of changing my major to marketing... any comments or suggestions? I really really really hate politics, it's boring (and I was forced into it) and it's dull, there's only about 200 people in my major so far (near a thousand take the courses in my major, but only because it's on their list of classes to take, they're all people from the Journalism majors), and an alarming rate either dropping out or completely failling since the classes are so shit.

So... what do I do now? Asking mom and dad is 100% fail since dad's a double doctorate in chem/bio and mom's a masters in comm, so I have to go to uni, but politics sucks.

Brlito.png
kathos on

• DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Make sure you're going to enjoy marketing before switching to it. You don't want to take a semester or two of a marketing major to realize you hate it too and end up switching again to something else.

There's nothing wrong with switching majors, but you want to try to identify something you'll actually enjoy/stick with, not just something that sounds nice in theory and not something that's just "better than what I'm majoring in now." Go down that road and you'll switch 6 times and waste an extra year(s) just trying to graduate.

Daenris on
  • descoladadescolada Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not aware if there are any major differences at a Canadian school, but I'd imagine that marketing would fall under the umbrella of the school of business. Since politics is almost certainly not part of it, that complicates the transfer process. Switching departments is one thing, but switching colleges can be stupid complicated, especially if the new college is one with higher admissions standards. Getting information from advisors in both schools is probably a good idea.

Also, even if you think your parents won't approve, you should probably speak with them about it. It's not like they won't know eventually, and it'll definitely be a lot worse if they find out years later that you're graduating with a completely different degree. Assuming you can get them to say anything other than "go to hell," I'm sure they'd have some great advice.

descolada on