As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

High resolution webcam client.

MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My friend is starting to get into the WoW TCG and would like to play a few games against me. Problem is we're about 1000 miles apart. My idea is to use webcams focused on each player's card field and ventrilo to communicate. I have MSN messenger but I really doubt it'd be high enough resolution to be functional in this respect.
What webcam software would be high enough resolution to be used in this way?
Or.
Is there another way to accomplish this without the cams?

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
301787-1.png
Muriden on

• Options
    SikarianSikarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think its not really the software thats going to limit you, its going to be the webcam that will. You might want to look into getting an actual DV camera setup, feeding through firewire to the macine...then get some kind of software to stream that to him through something like Shoutcast.

Sikarian on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sikarian wrote: »
    I think its not really the software thats going to limit you, its going to be the webcam that will. You might want to look into getting an actual DV camera setup, feeding through firewire to the macine...then get some kind of software to stream that to him through something like Shoutcast.

Well it would need to be two way though. We'd both need to see eachother's card field.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    SikarianSikarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You could both get the same equipment and stream to each other.

Heres a few webcams I've found with high resolution
    This one pushes out 1280x1024 @ $49.99

1280x960 ones

1024x768

Most of these should do, the 1024x768's might be a tad on the low side.

Even if MSN Messenger won't display the high resolution, it'll show it in that tiny box but the picture should be good quality. Worst case scenario, theres plenty of webcam streaming software available if you google a bit, and you both could set that up.

Heck with a little bit of HTML-fu you could display each others stream on the same website, and watch each other play.

Sikarian on