As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arthur C. Clarke's Final Odyssey

FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Arthur C. Clarke died today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23697230/

He was pretty doggone old, but it sucks regardless.

FunkyWaltDogg on

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A visionary man, and an inspiration.

He will be missed.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

:(

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Goodbye, Arthur. Your books have done more to inspire me and millions of others than you can imagine. Your legacy is safe, my friend.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    For reference:
    CNN wrote:
    (CNN) -- Author Arthur C. Clarke, whose science fiction and non-fiction works ranged from the script for "2001: A Space Odyssey" to an early proposal for communications satellites, has died at age 90, associates have said.
    art.clarke.obit.gi.jpg

Visionary author Arthur C. Clarke had fans around the world.

Clarke had been wheelchair-bound for several years with complications stemming from a youthful bout with polio and had suffered from back trouble recently, said Scott Chase, the secretary of the nonprofit Arthur C. Clarke Foundation.

He died early Wednesday -- Tuesday afternoon ET -- at a hospital in Colombo, Sri Lanka, where he had lived since the 1950s, Chase said.

"He had been taken to hospital in what we had hoped was one of the slings and arrows of being 90, but in this case it was his final visit," he said.

In a videotaped 90th birthday message to fans, Clarke said he still hoped to see some sign of intelligent life beyond Earth, more work on alternatives to fossil fuels -- and "closer to home," an end to the 25-year civil war in Sri Lanka between the government and ethnic Tamil separatists.

"I dearly wish to see lasting peace established in Sri Lanka as soon as possible," he said. "But I'm aware that peace cannot just be wished -- it requires a great deal of hard work, courage and persistence."

Clarke and director Stanley Kubrick shared an Academy Award nomination for best adapted screenplay for "2001." The film grew out of Clarke's 1951 short story, "The Sentinel," about an alien transmitter left on the moon that ceases broadcasting when humans arrive.

As a Royal Air Force officer during World War II, Clarke took part in the early development of radar. In a paper written for the radio journal "Wireless World" in 1945, he suggested that artificial satellites hovering above fixed spot above Earth could be used to relay telecommunications signals across the globe.

He is widely credited with introducing the idea of the communications satellite, the first of which were launched in the early 1960s. But he never patented the idea, prompting a 1965 essay that he subtitled, "How I Lost a Billion Dollars in My Spare Time."

His best-known works, such as "2001" or the 1953 novel "Childhood's End," combined the hard science he learned studying physics and mathematics with insights into how future discoveries would change humanity. David Eicher, editor of Astronomy magazine, told CNN that Clarke's writings were influential in shaping public interest in space exploration during the 1950s and '60s.

"He was very interested in technology and also in humanity's history and what lay out in the cosmos," Eicher said. His works combined those "big-picture" themes with "compelling stories that were more interesting and more complex than another science fiction writers were doing," he said.

Tedson Meyers, the chairman of the Clarke Foundation, said the organization is now dedicated to reproducing the combination of imagination and knowledge that he credited the author with inspiring.

"The question for us is, how does human imagination bring about such talent on both sides of the brain?" he asked. "How do you find the next Arthur Clarke?"

Clarke was knighted in 1998. He wrote dozens of novels and collections of short stories and more than 30 non-fiction works during his career, and served as a television commentator during several of the Apollo moon missions.

Though humans have not returned to the moon since 1972, Clarke said he was confident that a "Golden Age" of space travel was just beginning.

"After half a century of government-sponsored efforts, we are now witnessing the emergence of commercial space flight," he said in his December birthday message.

"Over the next 50 years, thousands of people will travel to Earth orbit -- and then, to the moon and beyond. Space travel and space tourism will one day become almost as commonplace as flying to exotic destinations on our own planet."

I've never read any of his works, but I'm still saddened by his departure. I hope he is right that the Golden Age of space travel is just beginning.

ege02 on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gad. My last communication with him was emailing him to replace the autographed copy of 2001 (lost it in Katrina) he'd sent me for my 13th birthday.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The videotaped message in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qLdeEjdbWE

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to remember my own name @ 90.

zeeny on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    My favorite thing about him was his shirt that said "I invented the satellite and all I got was this lousy shirt".

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    zeeny wrote: »

:cry:

So now the last of the big 3 is gone. I don't think we'll ever see their like again.

xraydog on
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I remember reading 2001 when I was 14 and having it completely blow my mind.

He'll be missed.

darthmix on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wow that sucks. Is it bad that I didn't even know he was still alive?

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Cryztal_FlameCryztal_Flame Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, I was all over the literature forum looking for this. "Did this REALLY pass the entire Penny Arcade forum by?", never thought to look in here. First time I've ever gotten misty about a celebrity dying.

Cryztal_Flame on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    :cry:

moniker on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    He was pretty doggone old, but it sucks regardless.

I haven't had the chance to get into his works, but this is the important part.

It's sad when good people die, but it's incredibly sad when they don't get a chance to live first, so I'm glad he got in an incredibly accomplished life. Best kind of death to have.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Say hi to Dave, Arthur.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And be sure to give Carl Sagan a status report. Earth is still a rotting shithole, but less of one.

MKR on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You will be missed, Sir Arthur. Godspeed you glorious erudite.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    And be sure to give Carl Sagan a status report. Earth is still a rotting shithole, but less of one.

Wasn't Sagan a huge atheist?

The best thing that could come of this is that maybe, maybe this will spur the development of the last two Odyssey films.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Octoparrot wrote: »

The best thing that could come of this is that maybe, maybe this will spur the development of the last two Odyssey films.

If there is some sort of afterlife where good people go, they're in it.

MKR on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

One of his books (not the Odyssey series) is not only in pre-development, but in pre-development with Morgan Freeman signed on.

moniker on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    moniker wrote: »

One of his books (not the Odyssey series) is not only in pre-development, but in pre-development with Morgan Freeman signed on.

Rendezvous with Rama. Better than 2061 or 3001, I say. I'm really looking forward to it.

Clarke is a titan among men. A visionary with very few peers. The modern world would likely not be here if it were not for visionaries like Clarke. Not to mention his incredible science fiction work.

Godspeed, Sir Arthur C. Clarke. You're walking the true Stairway of the Gods now.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    He was the one who wrote "The Nine Billion Names of God"? Interesting. I remember someone telling me the basics of that story and it freaked me right the hell out. It still does, actually.

Clarke, you were worthy. If there were any sort of justice on this earth, your entire body would be shot out into space.

I think some Clarke books are in my near future.

Gim on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mogwai just switched their MySpace profile picture to a picture of the Star Child.

Gim on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    :( x2001

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    First Terry Pratchett gets Alzheimer's, then Gygax goes, now Clarke... :(

If Alan Moore gets hit by a bus I'm giving up on nerdhood and taking up football.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gim wrote: »
    He was the one who wrote "The Nine Billion Names of God"? Interesting. I remember someone telling me the basics of that story and it freaked me right the hell out. It still does, actually.

Clarke, you were worthy. If there were any sort of justice on this earth, your entire body would be shot out into space.

Wikipedia has a link to The Nine Billion Names of God. It's short and very good. And the end somehow seems fitting today.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gim wrote: »

Wikipedia has a link to The Nine Billion Names of God. It's short and very good. And the end somehow seems fitting today.

That's a fantastic short story.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I hope not. I like Clarke's work, and loved 2001 and 2010, but personal found the last two Odyssey books lacking. And 3001 really can't be made into a movie. It will just leave the average audience scratching their heads, and they would probably change it so much that it would be 3001 in name only.

2001 was mind-blowing though. The proverbial "good science fiction novel" that seems like it might be dense at first, but then you read the whole thing in one sitting because you can't put it down.

I still need to read the Rama series. And I guess Stephen Baxter is going to have to finish the Time Odyssey series on his own.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dalboz wrote: »
    I still need to read the Rama series.
    Yes you do.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    unilateralunilateral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    He was an answer today on Jeopardy...which is pretty crazy since Jeopardy is filmed in advance I believe.

unilateral on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I hope not. I like Clarke's work, and loved 2001 and 2010, but personal found the last two Odyssey books lacking. And 3001 really can't be made into a movie. It will just leave the average audience scratching their heads, and they would probably change it so much that it would be 3001 in name only.

As much as I loved Heywood Floyd as a character, 2061 was just so 'meh' that I couldn't fathom picking up 3001. Actually, 2061 was pretty good, but the ending was 'meh'. It was the excerpt I read in Playboy of 3001 that made me want to pass on it. The sky elevators were a cool idea, but after reading the wiki about the general plot I grimaced and had to take a pass.

Nine Billion Names of God remains one of my favorite short stories of all time.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Sentinel is pretty good too. There's a really good spoken audio version in 7 parts on Youtube. Here's part 1... http://youtube.com/watch?v=kyiUNEaGJfE

Never mind the picture, I don't know who that is just listen to the audio.

xraydog on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When I got home yesterday my roommate said "Hey <tof> your dad died. I mean, your dad called, to tell you Arthur C. Clarke died."

I was like D:D:D:D:
    Almost dropped my fucking supper.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll confess I never really got into Clarke's work, but there's no denying the man's work was part of the very foundation of the Science Fiction genre. Suffice it to say I have a tremendous respect for both the man and his work, his death is a tremendous loss. Still, I wish him well on his final journey and hope that his legacies will stand the test of time.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    Yes you do.
    Just the first one, really.
    darleysam wrote: »
    That's a fantastic short story.
    I really like The Star.

But Songs of Distant Earth is probably my favorite novel by Clarke.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rest in peace sir. May your spirit travel the cosmos for eternity.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    BrynjBrynj Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    Yes you do.
    Just the first one, really.

Agreed.

The sequels were not written by Clarke, but Gentry Lee. Clarke just read and gave some ideas during their creation. Not bad, not good either. Though the 2nd made a decent adventure game for the PC. Hopefully, this increased awareness will get the movie out of development hell.

I was shocked when I heard because just a few weeks ago I found a compilation of his books that I bought as a kid and had just reread Rama and 'The City and the Stars'.

No more Clarke, Heinlein, Asimov.... sucks.

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Brynj wrote: »

Bradbury is still around, but he is getting up there in years.

I didn't know Clarke was suffering from post-polio syndrome. Same thing that took Robert Anton Wilson.

These last couple of years have really sucked for us losing great writers.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    seriously we're going to run out of hard science fiction authors here soon

where are all the young science fiction writers. we need some fresh blood.

ye shall be missed, mr. clarke. i'd only read 2001 and 2010, but 2010... man. that shit literally blew my mind, and i'd read a lot of scifi at that point in time.

fuck... the ending. amazing. dude was a creative genius.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just noticed his collected short stories on Amazon. That shit is like 1000 pages. So bought.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Brynj wrote: »

Bradbury is still around, but he is getting up there in years.

Bradbury is dedicated to removing all highways and replacing them with social get together spaces.

I am not shitting you. He despises highways.

FyreWulff on