As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Look at this Metroid 2 remake

harvestharvest By birthright,a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wkr8samEBQ

Here's the creator's blog:

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

In the blog there's a link to a tech demo so you can try it out a little bit.

I really really hope he manages to complete this project without getting a cease-and-desist from Nintendo. I've wanted a Metroid 2 remake since I first heard about the GBA, and if everything turns out in our favor it looks like we'll have one soon enough.

Sorry for the sparse information in this post, I'm going back to read the blog now because I'm so pumped.

B6yM5w2.gif
harvest on

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fucking Ice beam too, shit yeah.

Khavall on
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This looks amazing

Also, METROID METAL
    I've been listening to this for years, not just great video game music, but some very talented instrumentals.

Smashism on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This might make me play it, finally. My Game Boy cart is untouched after maybe two plays.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Because it's fucking scary or why?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's so beautiful, I want it, I want it bad!

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I saw this before.

Nintendo - buy this guy and get this on Wiiware, I would happily pay good monies to play the only Metroid game I have never played and am otherwise never likely to play.

LewieP on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Somebody else said this on ArsTech, but this shit ought to be released as WiiWare. There isn't a snowball's chance in Hell of that ever happening, but it'd be nice.

[Edit] Fuck, beat'd.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    harvest wrote: »

Probably because the DS doesn't support old GBC/GBB&W games.

Daedalus on
    edited March 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Ah yes, there is that. Myself, I didn't play it a second time because I was too freaked out.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

I'm really happy that I still have my old brick gameboy. That thing is a fucking tank.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is like... ZeroMission-ified Metroid II.

Basically something we've all been asking for since Zero Mission showed us that modern remakes of classic Metroids can be truly awesome.

Now if only Nintendo could either get off their ass, or pay this guy to publish this game on WiiWare.

slash000 on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just tried out the tech demo today. It's so cool, but I can just not get a hang of keyboard controls. Maybe playing with a controller would be better, if it supports that.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That thing is a fucking tank.

gameboy775375px4.jpg

LewieP on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Japan hates Metroid, this is a fact

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • uk3uk3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seems like the guy's putting a lot of effort in to this Cease and Desist Letter, I mean, game.

This game.

uk3 on
    uk3blood.jpg
    edited March 2008
    uk3 wrote: »
    Seems like the guy's putting a lot of effort in to this Cease and Desist Letter, I mean, game.

This game.

His first blog post he says he lives in Argentina. I wonder what kind of legal pressure N can put on him there?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

This game.

Unfortunately, so true.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Metroid 2 is a very good game that would have been 5x better if it had a map system. This is why I hope this game gets finished.

Food on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have yet to play Metroid 2. But goddamn, if there is ever a remake that is similar to Zero Mission (my favorite GBA game) I am all over that.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited March 2008
    Food wrote: »
    Metroid 2 is a very good game that would have been 5x better if it had a map system. This is why I hope this game gets finished.

Yeah it's an awesome game.

I think that a less limited color pallette or graphics tiles (which were due to the oGB) would have gone a long way to making it better to navigate.

I don't think it needs a map so much as a better way of distinguishing areas. It's almost like the easiest way to do so is by using the music. Or just recognizing places.

Still, I don't think the map is a requirement per se but it couldn't hurt. Especially if it were optional.

slash000 on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Maybe it's just me but I kind of liked getting lost. Of course, it's been forever since I've played Metroid II. So the question becomes, dig it out and play now or wait for this project to finish?

Cervetus on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

This game.

His first blog post he says he lives in Argentina. I wonder what kind of legal pressure N can put on him there?

Well with Reggie being President of Earth probably quite a lot.

The_Scarab on
    edited March 2008
    Cervetus wrote: »

Maybe it's just me but I kind of liked getting lost. Of course, it's been forever since I've played Metroid II. So the question becomes, dig it out and play now or wait for this project to get Cease-and-Desist-ordered by Nintendo and not come out anyway?

:P

Play Metroid II on a Super Gameboy or Gameboy player or something that lets it use the Super Gameboy pallette, which is actually more than 4 colors, and really makes it more interesting to play. Plus bigger screen.

slash000 on
    edited March 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Maybe it's just me but I kind of liked getting lost. Of course, it's been forever since I've played Metroid II. So the question becomes, dig it out and play now or wait for this project to get Cease-and-Desist-ordered by Nintendo and not come out anyway?

Play Metroid II on a Super Gameboy or Gameboy player or something that lets it use the Super Gameboy pallette, which is actually more than 4 colors, and really makes it more interesting to play. Plus bigger screen.

I don't know, considering the kinds of illegal crap I can find on the internet I think a guy from Argentina could pull this off.

Cervetus on
  • Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Neat that they Zero Missioned it. It seems that they've added a bunch of stuff too. Just do not put fucking shinespark puzzles in there. The ones where I had to hold a charge for several rooms killed any incentive to get 100% in both Fusion and Zero mission.

Tonberry King on
    edited March 2008

I don't know, considering the kinds of illegal crap I can find on the internet I think a guy from Argentina could pull this off.

Hopefully. But I can't even think of an instance where a pure remake, one that was actually good and worthwhile, was actually completed and released before the relative company was able to cease/desist them.

The Chrono Trigger one, the SNES-like OOT Zelda game, the various DBZ games, I don't know. Every time something looks promising, it gets smashed.

But hopefully this Argentinian gets away. :D

slash000 on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Actually, when NP did an article on Super Metroid, they said that the franchise was more popular in the US. Then again, it was initially an NDS game there.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited March 2008

Hopefully. But I can't even think of an instance where a pure remake, one that was actually good and worthwhile, was actually completed and released before the relative company was able to cease/desist them.

The Chrono Trigger one, the SNES-like OOT Zelda game, the various DBZ games, I don't know. Every time something looks promising, it gets smashed.

Well there are projects like Zelda Classic http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/downloads.php that have done very well and haven't been shut down. Sometimes Nintendo is tolerant I guess, I dunno.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited March 2008

Actually, when NP did an article on Super Metroid, they said that the franchise was more popular in the US. Then again, it was initially an NDS game there.

Wha?

Anyway, the Metroid games have always sold orders of magnitude better in the USA than in Japan.

Nintendo even went so far as to let their American second parties develop the games (Prime games anyway) and the games get released in the USA a long, long time before Japan gets it.

slash000 on
    edited March 2008

Isn't there a fan-translated Mother available on the intertubes? It seems Nintendo lets people get away with doing things to franchises they hate.

Cervetus on
    edited March 2008
    There's a dump of the prototype English Mother cart available. Nintendo had at least a few completed prototype carts produced but it was never published. And by prototype I mean entirely finished game in English and everything.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Wha?

Anyway, the Metroid games have always sold orders of magnitude better in the USA than in Japan.

Nintendo even went so far as to let their American second parties develop the games (Prime games anyway) and the games get released in the USA a long, long time before Japan gets it.

Oops, I meant FDS - Famicom Disc System.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited March 2008

Well there are projects like Zelda Classic http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/downloads.php that have done very well and haven't been shut down. Sometimes Nintendo is tolerant I guess, I dunno.

That's true. Unfortunately they smashed Ocarina of Time 2D, which looked great.

Maybe because it ripped most of its stuff from LTTP.

slash000 on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That's fucking incredible. Too bad Nintendo will squash it.

SirUltimos on
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not a huge fan of Zero Mission. But a huge fan of Metroid II. So im kinda torn. Maybe i can pretend its more like Fusion and just enjoy it.

Talkc on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    As much as I love the Metroid series, the first NES Metroid is pretty shitty.

Echo on
    edited March 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    As much as I love the Metroid series, the first NES Metroid is pretty shitty.

It hasn't aged well, but if you get a map from the Gaming Atlas, then it's a heck of a lot more fun than playing without. The reason being is that a lot of crucial paths you have to take to proceed are hidden by a completely camoflauged tile in a totally random corridor. But with a Map, you can tell at least which corridors to shoot about in to find the proper pathway.

For its time, Metroid was pretty incredible though.

Today, it's really only fun if you have a map or already know where the paths are.

Zero Mission, however, is one of my favorite GBA games.

slash000 on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Did... did he just say "Prince of Persia sucks"?

subedii on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No, Metroid is pretty shitty even WITH a map. You barely get any health, it's incredibly difficult to actually move around, hitting enemies is way too difficult, plus there's the "what's going on where am I everything looks the EXACT same." Zero Mission is awesome, but the original Metroid is virtually unplayable now.

Metroid II is actually still playable. I randomly came across one in an EB Games and bought it for a few bucks and played through and beat it. It's actually not such a big deal that there isn't a map because of the way the game is sectioned off: you can't progress to the next area without killing all the metroids in your current area, so this way there isn't the endless wandering through identical halls. Plus the controls are about a million times better than Metroid. It definitely isn't great by todays standards, but it was fun enough that I took the few hours to beat it.

Of course, I would still love a remake of it.

Lemming on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The metroids seriously scared me in this game, especially the later ones. I always dreaded seeing one fly towards me whenever I explored a new room.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507