Options

Transfering Files Over a LAN Network

FlayFlay Registered User regular
I'm looking to transfer a large file between two computers linked up to the same router. Normally I'd use MSN messenger (a bit of a cop-out, I know) but for some reason, the transfer speed seems to be going at regular internet speeds.

Could anybody recommend a free, simple piece of file transferring software I can use to quickly transfer this file? Alternatively, could someone please explain what might be causing the slow transfer rates over MSN when previously it was transfering files at a regular LAN rate?

Flay on

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The xcopy command in windows has a network resumable mode.

EDIT: So does copy - http://www.ss64.com/nt/copy.html

Use this: copy file1 \\dest\destdir /Z /B

(/B is binary mode, don't know if it's useful)

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I should have mentioned that I'm fairly technologically inept. Sorry to have to ask, but could you explain that a bit further?

Flay on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    *How* technologically inept? If they're both running Windows XP I'd personally set up Windows File Sharing. Have you tried that? And would you like me (or us) to (try to) explain it to you?

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You don't need to worry about it, I've found a solution (if a rudimentary one) to the problem.

Although... It could be helpful to know in the future. Yes, both computers are running XP, how do I set up file sharing?

Flay on
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This should work if you don't have some really esoteric setup.

I assume you've done this for both computers, when you set up the network: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/homenet.mspx. (Not sure how you'd have internet access through a router if you didn't...)

For file sharing, the only thing you have to do is make sure that the workgroup is the same for both computers. To check, you can Right click on my computer -> properties -> computer name -> Change... -> set workgroup to whatever.

Now that that's done, you can right click on any folder you want in windows, select Sharing and Security..., check 'share this folder on the network', and voila, it's shared. Use the start menu -> my network places to access folders shared over the network.

EDIT: Oh, and don't do a silly thing that I see a lot of people do, and share out your entire system drive (usually C:). It's a security risk.

EDIT EDIT: If the "Sharing and security..." option isn't there when you right click on folders or there isn't a simple 'share this folder on the network' checkbox, then you might need to turn on simple file sharing. Open some folder in windows and.... Select "tools" from the menu -> Folder Options... -> View tab -> scroll down to the bottom of the check list, and check "Use simple file sharing (recommended)".

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If they're on a network, just log into the other one and get the file with a copy paste

go to run, and type \\(computer IP or name\C$

then browse the c drive till you find the file, right click, select copy, then right click your desktop, select paste.

edit: this won't work with firewall on, and to find the IP, go to your network display, double click your network connection, and left click the tab that shows summary, it will have the IP info there.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MSN isn't used to copy files over the network, it goes through the intertrons. Always.

LaCabra on