Options

Switching to Mac... Considerations?

stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
Well, my wife and I have decided that it's finally come time to put one or more of our PC's to rest. Rather than just line up and get (or build) another PC, we're very strongly considering a MAC. Probably an iMac, but I wouldn't completely rule out a MacBook. This is kind of a big leap for me - I'm a professional Windows/Citrix admin by trade - I know my PC's and Windows inside and out, and know close to nothing about the Mac.

So - what's important to look at? We'll probably be picking up Office 2008 for Mac at her college library, so an office productivity suite really doesn't need to be considered. We've got a digital camera that we primarily use on vacations and when we've got a good home-improvement project going on, so managing those photos and such would be cool. I'm a guitarist and I've had lots of fun multi-tracking over the years, so GarageBand looks like fun to dabble with. No music gadgets to speak of (I know, I know, welcome to the late 20th century already...), so those won't really play into any decisions at this point.

Anyway - for a basic, home productivity and schoolwork type of setup, what should I be looking for? Conventional wisdom in PC's has always been more/bigger is better, since the software gets greedier every year or so - is the same the case with the Mac? Is a 2.4 or 2.8Ghz CPU noticibly better than a 2.0? Will one option be OK now, and leave me grumbling 24 months down the road? Is 1GB of RAM sufficient, or do I really need to spring for 2 or 4?

What kinds of stuff am I likely to find on a Mac that I never even thought of, that's going to make me look back and say "Man, I should have added X when I bought the thing!"

This is one of those fun times where I know that I don't even know what I don't know. So help me out!!! ;)

stratslinger on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you're getting Office, you're pretty set in the purchasing of softwware, as combined with iLife, you've got it all.

Same with Wintels, speed is important, but you'll get more ROI on more RAM. Please do not buy extrra from Apple. Get it from a 3rd-party and save yourself $$$. The OEM stuff is fine, just tends to be marked up a lot. So yes, I'd go with at least 2, maybe 3-4 if it's not $texas.

Office and browsing is very similer to Windows, with a few differneces. Nothing you won't be able to work out. The iLife set is really the biggest selling point with iMoive/Photo/DVD, and GarageBand. iPhoto overall is an incredible pic organizer; as an editor...not so much.

So overall, just shop for the best you can at your budget, and you'll be fine. I'm sure you've heard Apple fans bitching about sudden price drops/spec bumps, so be prepared.

Someone else here can maybe add when's the best time to buy Apple?

Are you going to use Backdoor (whatever it's called) to run XP/Vista too?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, my wife and I have decided that it's finally come time to put one or more of our PC's to rest. Rather than just line up and get (or build) another PC, we're very strongly considering a MAC. Probably an iMac, but I wouldn't completely rule out a MacBook. This is kind of a big leap for me - I'm a professional Windows/Citrix admin by trade - I know my PC's and Windows inside and out, and know close to nothing about the Mac.
    It's striking at first. I don't have your level of expertise with Windows but had used it for about 13 years prior to switching in February 2007. The first weekend was excruciating. The best piece of advice I can offer, in general, is that you need to stop overthinking everything. That little task you're doing that you know took three clicks in Windows? It probably takes one or two clicks in OS X, is right in front of you and is going to make you feel retarded when you figure it out. It's humbling at first. After that first rough weekend, it took me about two weeks to "convert" in my head to OS X shortcuts and behaviors.
    So - what's important to look at? We'll probably be picking up Office 2008 for Mac at her college library, so an office productivity suite really doesn't need to be considered. We've got a digital camera that we primarily use on vacations and when we've got a good home-improvement project going on, so managing those photos and such would be cool. I'm a guitarist and I've had lots of fun multi-tracking over the years, so GarageBand looks like fun to dabble with. No music gadgets to speak of (I know, I know, welcome to the late 20th century already...), so those won't really play into any decisions at this point.
    For a new user, Office 2008 is absolutely the way to go. Less impact (having to figure out how iWork works, at first for a switcher, can be jarring) and you don't have to worry about compatibility and such. Since I know someone will come in and note it, Excel 2008 for Mac lacks VBA support. If this is important, say so and someone will explain the possible solutions.

iPhoto is exactly what you need to organize vacation photos and things from your home improvement project (well, photos at least). I have no experience with GarageBand (I have stupid fingers, to quote the Robot Devil) so someone else will have to weigh in.

In the future when you consider a media player, remember that iPod is the only device that's going to painlessly work right on a Mac. This usually isn't a big deal for people to think about.
    Anyway - for a basic, home productivity and schoolwork type of setup, what should I be looking for? Conventional wisdom in PC's has always been more/bigger is better, since the software gets greedier every year or so - is the same the case with the Mac? Is a 2.4 or 2.8Ghz CPU noticibly better than a 2.0? Will one option be OK now, and leave me grumbling 24 months down the road? Is 1GB of RAM sufficient, or do I really need to spring for 2 or 4?
    Well, as with everything, it depends! If you don't plan on doing any powerful stuff such as heavy gaming, DVD archiving (such as with HandBrake) or heavy Photoshopping, I think a MacBook would work fine for you. This is not to say that a MacBook can't handle DVD archiving, Photoshopping or the lot. It just means it's going to run a bit more poorly due to the lack of a dedicated graphics card and a slower processor. Are you comfortable with a laptop as your primary machine? I have a desktop for my power apps and an Air for internet browsing, note taking and paper writing. For processor power, the jump for 2.0 to 2.8 is noticeable, but you should look at the price for the jump from 2.0 to 2.4. Are they asking $225 for that upgrade? I'd pass, personally. Spring for 2GB of RAM. Do any of the Macs even let you get just 1GB now? I'm not sure. Stick with whatever the default is on whatever machine you end up with If you want to do more RAM, buy it from a 3rd party such as Crucial or Newegg. You'll save a couple hundred bucks and it's dead-simple to install (RAM is the one hardware item that is easily extensible on Macs).
    What kinds of stuff am I likely to find on a Mac that I never even thought of, that's going to make me look back and say "Man, I should have added X when I bought the thing!"
    It's hard to remember. When I bought my iMac last year, I bought damn near everything at the same time. Office 2004, Parallels (to virtualize Windows within OS X), an iPod, AppleCare... I was pretty well set. Like I said when I started out, don't overthink things. If it seems like there is no way to do something, an indie software developer probably makes a program for you. Just ask over in the Mac thread and someone will be sure to help.
    This is one of those fun times where I know that I don't even know what I don't know. So help me out!!! ;)
    Good luck!

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Parallels? Not sure. If I find I really need to run XP (or Vista, if I ever get _that_ masochistic) on the thing, I'll consider it. But I think I'd prefer to keep this box all Mac, and eventually we'll get around to upgrading our second PC to a more up-to-date PC for any Windows requirements we still have.

That is, unless we become hardcore Mac zealots, which I can't completely rule out.

Any significant differences (other than the bare-assed obvious) between the iMac and any of the MacBook models?

stratslinger on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Someone else here can maybe add when's the best time to buy Apple?
    This year, Apple has gotten really erratic with product bumps. No one knows when they're coming anymore. The laptops just got a bump, so within the next two months is the time to buy. For an iMac, if you don't buy it by the end of April(ish), I would wait until the summer. They're about due for a bump in speed (not a major redesign or major upgrade).

MacRumors runs a Buyer's Guide for all Apple products that might help you determine your time frame but remember, Apple has been all over the place this year. It's harder to predict upgrades now.

Satan. on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Office and browsing is very similer to Windows, with a few differneces. Nothing you won't be able to work out. The iLife set is really the biggest selling point with iMoive/Photo/DVD, and GarageBand. iPhoto overall is an incredible pic organizer; as an editor...not so much.
    Beware iPhoto. It has a tendency (at least the last version I used) to move things around and "organize" for you, much like iTunes wants to do. If you only use it and never browse through your folders for a photo (which is sorta the idea with a lot of Mac stuff) its fine. If you do occasionally like to dig through a folder or two for something, it can be a pain in the ass. I always wished that Google would release Picasa for Macs. Alas, it still hasn't come out.

Anyway, if you're adjustable to new metaphors, and not real picky about how your file system works, it would probably be fine. I haven't seen anyone find any good cheap fast alternatives.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Don't be a "wait for the next" release guy. Nobody knows when it'll be. Just get one. They're all stellar products and will work for years and years to come. I know plenty of people who have the old G4s and G5 ibooks and iMacs and they still work wonderfully.

I switched to Mac about 1.5 years ago, and I put windows on my macbook just in case. I never boot into Windows. OS X can do everything.

Macbooks are excellent machines if you don't need to run games. They are superbly fast, even for programming which I use mine for and I have databases running on it.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    Beware iPhoto. It has a tendency (at least the last version I used) to move things around and "organize" for you, much like iTunes wants to do. If you only use it and never browse through your folders for a photo (which is sorta the idea with a lot of Mac stuff) its fine. If you do occasionally like to dig through a folder or two for something, it can be a pain in the ass. I always wished that Google would release Picasa for Macs. Alas, it still hasn't come out.

Anyway, if you're adjustable to new metaphors, and not real picky about how your file system works, it would probably be fine. I haven't seen anyone find any good cheap fast alternatives.

iPhoto 08 doesn't even show you the folders, it just shows one nice file. You can right/ctrl click and select "show package contents" if you need to.

However, I've never understood this obsession with having to see things in the hierarchal folder. The reason I like iTunes and iPhoto is that you don't have to do that. If you want a copy of a photo, just find it in iPhoto, and either drag it to the desktop or use one of the many export options. After getting used to this you will wonder why you ever put up with mucking about in the folder structure.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    typhoontyphoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

typhoon on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    typhoon wrote: »
    Satan. wrote: »
    Do any of the Macs even let you get just 1GB now? I'm not sure. Stick with whatever the default is on whatever machine you end up with
    Uh, yeah. The Bastard Minis, the lowest-end MacBook, and all of the iMacs except the top-end 24-incher still come with 1 GB standard. This is the company that still sells $1100 computers that can't burn DVDs. They hang on to these lame upsells until it's way past embarrassing.

But yeah, get lots of memory third-party. Memory is crazy cheap right now; I would get 4 GB and set yourself for a while.
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    Anyway, if you're adjustable to new metaphors, and not real picky about how your file system works, it would probably be fine.
    Honestly, just let iPhoto and iTunes do their thing with your files and give yourself that much less to worry about. I know it takes some adjusting moving to a new workflow, but let this sort of thing go as soon as you can; it's worth it. Make your computer handle tedious shit for you. Don't let it give you more tedious shit, like file system layouts that you have to manage. Keep that bitch in line.

I have to agree there. Often people cry out: "OMG IT IS REORGANIZING MY FILEZ!!1". Well, you can turn this behavior off, if you want to (at least in iTunes) - but its nice not to have to care anymore. I know where my files are and that I can change/export/save/manage the information in other ways if I really want to.

Yesterday I found a new function for my iPod touch - storing maps. I just created an album in iPhoto in order to store maps. Of course they are not transfered in high resolution, but its nice to have a "where do I have to go next" info in my pocket. (especially in Paris)
    Uh, yeah. The Bastard Minis, the lowest-end MacBook, and all of the iMacs except the top-end 24-incher still come with 1 GB standard. This is the company that still sells $1100 computers that can't burn DVDs. They hang on to these lame upsells until it's way past embarrassing.

I have to agree there. At least they can't "upsell" the amount of vRAM in the low end models, because each of them includes the horrible Intel GMA. (except iMacs, but this line isn't a low end anymore) - Oh, I forgot the Apple TV nobody wants includes a dedicated graphic chip for some reason.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This thread is lacking in not saying that you NEED AS MUCH RAM AS YOU CAN. OS X eats the stuff up. You'll see way more improvement from RAM than an extra .4Ghz

Lewisham on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    All the claims of wanting as much ram as possible are not lies. You really want the ram.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Any significant differences (other than the bare-assed obvious) between the iMac and any of the MacBook models?

Graphics is the biggest one, in my opinion. Other than that, the Hard Drive in the iMac is upgradable, and is faster, IIRC than the Macbook. The screen resolution on the MacBook is a bit too small for me (my wife has one).

Like others said, definitely put more RAM in it. My MacBook Pro has 2GB and I still have huge swap files lying around.

Apple's Time Capsule router is a great investment, IMO. OS X automatically backs up your stuff to a drive, and a time capsule is an 802.11n router with a HD built in that your Mac will find as soon as it joins the network and gets to backing up.

Also, be sure and buy a multibutton mouse if you aren't planning on using the one that was connected to your PC. I very much don't like the Mighty Mouse (although some people like it just fine).

Garageband is way fun, and the iMac has digital audio in, but the MacBook does not, if that matters to you at all. OS X has built in MIDI drivers as well if you have a MIDI controller.

Honestly, whichever one you wind up with, odds are you'll buy the other in time :lol: The iMac is great because the 24" is a great deal and the screen is HUGE, also you can play games on it pretty well. The MacBook has great portability and speed, and it's a little tank in terms of quality. They're both great to have around if you eventually decide to go all Mac.

Just another note : there is some amazing Mac software out there. There's a thread here dedicated to it, I think.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    All the claims of wanting as much ram as possible are not lies. You really want the ram.

I went with 2gb on my macbook just for web browsing, telnetting and the occasional small coding project as 512mb was not cutting it. Since graduating I really only use mine for traveling and others have given some really good advice so I'll not pile on with anything more than yummy, yummy ram.

Ok, so more reading makes OSX seem like the most bloated RAM hog on the planet. In my experience it's on par with a default XP install as far as speed and use of system resources go, so I don't know if it's the intel/motorola changeover code, but programs themselves seem to eat more than on Windows. 2gb seems plenty though and it's super cheap at this point so it's not quite as big of a deal as the repeated warnings may make it sound.

theantipop on
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Things to get used to:
    • While Windows and OSX have their similarities don't expect every single behavior to be exactly the same. For instance on Windows drag & drop is spotty to non-existent in many applications while on the Mac it is damn near ubiquitous. Shortcut keys are also typically well thought out in Mac apps not to mention more ergonomic to use. Copy is cmd+C which is simple to hit with your thumb an index finger versus pinky and index finger for ctrl+C on Windows.
    • There's no alert balloons/messages and very few "wizards" in the UI. The OS doesn't pop up a balloon every time it does something like a toddler trying to show off. It tends to just do what you want without bothering you about the details. Most configuration interfaces present themselves directly rather than make you walk through a wizard. These interfaces tend to be pretty straightforward but some of the terminology might differ from what you're used to on Windows. You'll figure it out pretty quick.
    • Don't try to end run around things like iTunes and iPhoto, if you're going to use them accept that they are library managers and will handle the back end organization as they damn well please. If you want fine grained control over pictures in folders don't use iPhoto, the same goes for music and iTunes. They likely do a better job organizing than you because they maintain a ton of metadata about files. Smart searches are your bestest friend when you've got a lot of photos or music. Without Smart Albums in iPhoto I'd never navigate through my 12k picture library.
    • There's a very strong Mac freeware/shareware community. There's apps to cover a whole spectrum of tasks. Check through Apple's downloads page or somewhere like macupdates.com or versiontracker.com if you're looking for something. Also every other blogger on the planet has a "Top X Mac Apps" list which can also point you to some good finds. There's also a pretty strong FOSS community producing insanely good apps like Adium, Colloquy, and Vienna.
    • Spend some time going though MacOS' built-in applications. Outside of iLife there's some damn good applications that ship on every Mac sold. Address Book is highly useful and is programatically accessible to any application on the system. If you don't need the customization or multi-service support of Adium iChat makes a great IM client. Its video/audio conferencing is probably the best of any free IM client out there and more powerful than some professional clients.
    • Use Time Machine. However you want to connect a drive to your Mac do so and use Time Machine. It is the simplest backup system you're going to find. It is dead simple to restore a lost/changed file from your backup and has a pretty sweet interface. It runs in the background and you really don't have to worry about it.
    • Learn to use and love Spotlight. Spotlight isn't just for finding files by their name or contents but also by their metadata.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    OK - thanks for the tons of input. A lot of this sounds really good, and I'm definitely taking it all to heart.

I've got a possible problem though, and it may be a deal-breaker. The wife was talking to her boss (who's actually the guy who put the Mac idea into her head in the first place). His son just did a big PowerPoint presentation for school. They saved it, from Office 2008 for Mac, as an Office 2000 or Office 2003 doc (whichever was required for the kid's class - the guy's at least savvy enough to understand Office version compatibility). The kid brought the presentation to class and was entirely unable to get it to work from the PC at his school. From the sounds of it, the presentation was fairly complex - lots of pictures and (probably more importantly) sound. I honestly don't have a full picture of what he embedded into this presentation, only that it didn't work on the PC at school.

This Mac is likely to be my wife's primary workspace for her college coursework. Presentation, Spreadsheets, and the ubiquitous Word Doc are all required at one time or another. This still being a mostly Windows world, if her work on the Mac can't easily be turned in to or presented to her professors and classmates, the Mac itself would be useless as a tool.

So - how big a concern should this be? Are incompatibility issues like her boss' son ran into common? Did he just overdo the "special effects" in his presentation, or are there real issues with porting Office documents from Mac to Windows? (If it matters, she'd be copying the presentation onto a USB thumb drive)

Now, I know that all this could be 100% avoided by using Parallels and just running Office from a Windows session - but I think that's going to complicate the use of the computer for my wife, which will lead to her not using it and me grumbling about it.

stratslinger on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    OK - thanks for the tons of input. A lot of this sounds really good, and I'm definitely taking it all to heart.

I've got a possible problem though, and it may be a deal-breaker. The wife was talking to her boss (who's actually the guy who put the Mac idea into her head in the first place). His son just did a big PowerPoint presentation for school. They saved it, from Office 2008 for Mac, as an Office 2000 or Office 2003 doc (whichever was required for the kid's class - the guy's at least savvy enough to understand Office version compatibility). The kid brought the presentation to class and was entirely unable to get it to work from the PC at his school. From the sounds of it, the presentation was fairly complex - lots of pictures and (probably more importantly) sound. I honestly don't have a full picture of what he embedded into this presentation, only that it didn't work on the PC at school.

This Mac is likely to be my wife's primary workspace for her college coursework. Presentation, Spreadsheets, and the ubiquitous Word Doc are all required at one time or another. This still being a mostly Windows world, if her work on the Mac can't easily be turned in to or presented to her professors and classmates, the Mac itself would be useless as a tool.

So - how big a concern should this be? Are incompatibility issues like her boss' son ran into common? Did he just overdo the "special effects" in his presentation, or are there real issues with porting Office documents from Mac to Windows? (If it matters, she'd be copying the presentation onto a USB thumb drive)

Now, I know that all this could be 100% avoided by using Parallels and just running Office from a Windows session - but I think that's going to complicate the use of the computer for my wife, which will lead to her not using it and me grumbling about it.

No, this is not common, not at all. In fact, I'd want to know more about the Powerpoint file, because that just doesn't sound right. Powerpoint should still be able to open the damn thing. In 2.5 years I've never had a single compatibility issue with a windows file, either to the Mac or from the Mac.

Your only compatibility issue is going to be Excel spreadsheets that use Macros. If you need Macros on the mac, you should get the older version of Office (2004). it will run in Rosetta (read: the Power PC emulation layer), and will be a little slower than a native app, but it will work fine. Office 2008 for mac doesn't support Visual Basic Macros... (and by all accounts, it seems Office 2008 is slower native than 2004 was in Rosetta!)

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The bigger problem is that the kid had a bunch of extra stuff and then saved it down. That's probably the problem, and would happen if he did the same thing on Windows.

I create presentations for my masters classes and I work on a mac, but the classes are invariably using a windows computer for the projector hookup. So as a backup I just print it as a PDF. It's not as sexy, but make it fullscreen and it's perfect as a backup replacement.

However, if your wife uses .mov for video and .wav for audio, she won't have any problems. She should use Windows fonts, like Arial and Times, instead of the abundance of fonts available on a Mac, but that's true for *anything*, not just OSs.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    That powerpoint thing seems strange, but as always, when exporting an important document from one filetype to another, you should really make sure the damn thing works first.

She can do all of her work on a Mac, just set up a shared folder called "PC Dropbox" or something on your existing PC. OS X will automatically detect the PC (as long as you tell it what the Workgroup is called) and mount the drive once she clicks on it in Finder.

Then she can just drag the file over and open it in Windows to make sure no weird issues occured. This isn't so much an OS X thing as a software thing in general, because if she's going to be making Powerpoint presentations in Office 2008 and exporting to Office 2003, there's always a possibility of some weird issue popping up, from formatting to images to whatever.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You'll never regret buying a Mac, jump on in. As stated above, do get as much RAM as you can afford though, but not from Apple. I bought a MacBook here in Hong Kong recently (3 days before the speedbump dammit), and I got 4 gigs of RAM at less than a quarter the price that Apple wanted to charge for it. Buy it third party, and don't be afraid to install it yourself as it is the simplest hardware upgrade imaginable. (On the MacBook that is, can't speak for the iMac.) I was helping a friend and fellow switcher to set up a Windows partition recently, and I got to compare his 1 gig of RAM to my 4 gigs, and the difference on otherwise identical machines was night and day.

If your existing PC is a desktop, then going for a MacBook would be my suggestion. Seriously, sexiest damn laptops on the market, you'll want to take it everywhere with you. So comfortable to just surf the 'net with the two-fingered scrolling on the trackpad. I swear, with that feature and the keyboard shortcuts, I only ever use a mouse for gaming.

One last thing, do not under any circumstances buy an Apple Mighty Mouse. I love Apple products, but that thing is a retarded abortion of overdesign and underperformance. Seriously, it is not possible to use the left and right buttons at the same time, the entire body needs to be depressed to work the main buttons, and the nipple wheel clogs up with crap and becomes unusable. Only Apple product I ever regret buying.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    typhoon wrote: »
    This is the company that still sells $1100 computers that can't burn DVDs. They hang on to these lame upsells until it's way past embarrassing.

Wha... huh? Are you trolling here or what?

Satan. on
  • Options
    NovaRevNovaRev Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, it's true. The $1100 Macbook only has a combo drive and cannot burn DVDs.

NovaRev on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    NovaRev wrote: »
    Well, it's true. The $1100 Macbook only has a combo drive and cannot burn DVDs.
    I've never been aware of someone buying the lowest MacBook or hell, even acknowledging it exists.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Really? It's a pretty attractive option for college students who just want a laptop for the basics that they'll need, especially with the student discount. I think they even give away an iPod with it on occasion, which sweetens the deal.

Still though, the point is that it does exist and it's a $1000+ computer that cannot burn DVDs, which is a bit silly at this point.

NovaRev on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    - We have a Mac Thread in Moes if you have any questions when you actually have the Mac

- Get to know and love iLife. And download and play with iWork - it does thing s very differently to Office but in many respects is better. The only real problem is compatibility (I export everything as PDF to get round this)

- As many people have said, get used to iPhoto an iTunes (hell, alot of Mac apps) handling where to store files and let them. Once you get used to it it really is like using a computer somebody has actually bothered thinking about, and you'll wonder how or why you ever bothered dicking about with clever folder trees.

- The Mighty Mouse is pure shit. Luckily just about every mouse ever works in OS X without installing the Lolitech / whoever shiteware (do not install this shit)

- If you get stuck, stop trying to do it the Windows way and think abut it logically. Tha answer is probably the one that makes the most sense.

- Similarly, if you want to start getting quicker, do whatever you think wil work quicker. Chances are it will work (for example, opening a file - just drag it onto an application. Or saving an image from Safari - just drag the image onto your desktop)

-Again, as many have said, use OS X features like Spotlight, Time Machine and Expose. Expose in particular (if you bind it to a spare mouse button especially) you will wonder how you ever lived without, and will be trying to use it within Windows I guarantee you.

- And please post any questions in the Mac Thread. We really lovely lovely people, and never mind answering questions.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Really? It's a pretty attractive option for college students who just want a laptop for the basics that they'll need, especially with the student discount. I think they even give away an iPod with it on occasion, which sweetens the deal.

Still though, the point is that it does exist and it's a $1000+ computer that cannot burn DVDs, which is a bit silly at this point.

Your argument is weak: you're saying students buy what they need, and they get a free iPod too. But for some reason, they should also have some feature that they never use in that laptop too. O_o

I can count on one hand the number of DVDs I've burnt in my life. 3 of those were purely data.

Buying the base anything is silly. But buying what you need is fine, and if it works for people to have the base model, so be it. If we want to complain about upselling, let's talk about the price difference between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro for the people that just need any graphics chip whatsoever.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For all your free Mac software needs:

http://www.opensourcemac.org/

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh and keyboard shortcuts. I LOVE them on the Mac. Never learned them on Windows as they were different in every app I ever used. On a Mac, those commands will be the same in just about every app you ever use. You learn 10 basic commands, and it feels like you have learned a hundred because you use them so much.

Make sure the first thing you turn on is Hot Corners though. So many times now I have had to help someone new with their Mac (user error, not hardware) and I feel lost without being able to flick the pointer into the corner to expose all the running application windows. Still can't believe it is never turned on in shop display models, as the first thing I show any potential Mac owner is a combination of Spaces and Expose with lots of apps open. It just blows their mind to see how easily I can flick around to find the things that I want. Pure eye candy, but so incredibly functional too.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh and keyboard shortcuts. I LOVE them on the Mac. Never learned them on Windows as they were different in every app I ever used. On a Mac, those commands will be the same in just about every app you ever use. You learn 10 basic commands, and it feels like you have learned a hundred because you use them so much.

Make sure the first thing you turn on is Hot Corners though. So many times now I have had to help someone new with their Mac (user error, not hardware) and I feel lost without being able to flick the pointer into the corner to expose all the running application windows. Still can't believe it is never turned on in shop display models, as the first thing I show any potential Mac owner is a combination of Spaces and Expose with lots of apps open. It just blows their mind to see how easily I can flick around to find the things that I want. Pure eye candy, but so incredibly functional too.
    On that, I really wish that newer Macs (ones shipping with Leopard) had a dedicated Spaces key like they do for Expose (F3 on my Air).

Satan. on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

On that, I really wish that newer Macs (ones shipping with Leopard) had a dedicated Spaces key like they do for Expose (F3 on my Air).

You know you can set that in the spaces panel of the system preferences, right? You can also set it so you can switch directly to particular spaces with control + space#, or however else you want to do it. I use that all the time and it's great.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Smasher wrote: »

You know you can set that in the spaces panel of the system preferences, right? You can also set it so you can switch directly to particular spaces with control + space#, or however else you want to do it. I use that all the time and it's great.
    Yes, but I'm talking about how the Air (and other laptops, new iMac keyboards) have a F-key with a picture on it for Expose. All of my keys are occupied by functions needed for the laptop. I'm suggesting that Apple add in one of these keys for Spaces.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I agree. On this Macbook, you have:

Bight up
    Bright down
    Expose
    Dashboard
    F5
    F6
    Rewind
    Play/Pause
    Fast Forward
    Mute
    Volume Down
    Volume Up
    Eject

May as well use F5 or F6 to fire a spaces command, and put a nice logo on it.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Out of curiosity Satan, what do you have mapped to F5 and F6?

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Regarding mouse drivers: I actually recommend the Microsoft mouse driver for my intellimouse. I don't know if it works with other mice, but it has an option to use the acceleration curves from Windows instead of the native OS X curves. This little thing was key for my switching processes.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008

On the Air, it goes like this:

Brightness Up
    Brightness Down
    Expose
    Dashboard
    Keyboard Brightness Down
    Keyboard Brightness Up
    Rewind
    Play / Pause
    Fast Forward
    Mute
    Volume Down
    Volume Up
    Eject (not an F-key)

I don't actually use F5/6, so I could map one there. Just would be nice if Apple decided Spaces was important enough to have its own key, like Expose and Dashboard.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »

Your argument is weak: you're saying students buy what they need, and they get a free iPod too. But for some reason, they should also have some feature that they never use in that laptop too. O_o

I was just saying that the $1100 Macbook does, in fact, exist and is a viable machine for some people. Saying, "Oh, no one should buy that one or even acknowledge that it exists," does not dismiss the issue. Instead, it validates that you think that the product is not worth buying without the features in the upsell. DVD burning is basically an expected feature even in laptops that cost well below $1000 now, which is where typhoon's complaint originates from. Not everyone needs DVD burning and that's fine, but I don't think his comment was really that unreasonable. Anyway, I think we have both made our points, so I am going to drop this now because I don't want to de-rail any further.

And yes, I would love to see a Macbook with a dedicated GPU in it. Or maybe a 13" Pro. I like the form factor of 13" laptops, but I also like to have dedicated GPUs in them.

NovaRev on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »

I was just saying that the $1100 Macbook does, in fact, exist and is a viable machine for some people. Saying, "Oh, no one should buy that one or even acknowledge that it exists," does not dismiss the issue.

Sorry, I didn't realize we were being so pedantic over here. I expect shit like this from D&D, but not here. So, to clarify:

For the subset of Mac users that I know and have personally conversed with, I have not come across one that has complained about 1) the lack of DVD burning on the lowest end Mac laptop and/or 2) owns the lowest end Mac laptop. This subset of users should not be considered representative of the entire population of the internet nor popular (or any) opinion on Apple products.

Christ I hate the internet sometimes. People love shoving words down your throat. I feel like I should have a damn disclaimer in my sig.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I don't actually use F5/6, so I could map one there. Just would be nice if Apple decided Spaces was important enough to have its own key, like Expose and Dashboard.

I don't have Leopard yet so I don't know how spaces interact with them, but after getting used to Hot corners, I don't see how anyone can use the keyboard to invoke Dashboard or Expose, even on a desktop....Seriously,, they are the best thing since slice bread.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I really like to use modifier keys along with hot corners. It's too easy to accidentally invoke the upper left corner when going for the apple menu. Now I use cmd + upper left/lower left.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I don't have Leopard yet so I don't know how spaces interact with them, but after getting used to Hot corners, I don't see how anyone can use the keyboard to invoke Dashboard or Expose, even on a desktop....Seriously,, they are the best thing since slice bread.
    People who use keyboard shortcuts would love dedicated keys. I can say the same thing and say "I don't see how anyone can use the hot corners to invoke X and Y". I have my upper right hot corner to shut off my screen on both of my systems and Spaces on the lower left on my Air for lack of a dedicated key.

Satan. on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Your only compatibility issue is going to be Excel spreadsheets that use Macros. If you need Macros on the mac, you should get the older version of Office (2004). it will run in Rosetta (read: the Power PC emulation layer), and will be a little slower than a native app, but it will work fine. Office 2008 for mac doesn't support Visual Basic Macros... (and by all accounts, it seems Office 2008 is slower native than 2004 was in Rosetta!)

Darn, is this true? I was thinking of upgrading my copy of excel just because the lag is so annoying (having to wait half a second for clicks to register is not very efficient). I might have to consider running it on my xp virtual machine and see if it works better.

More on topic: as one who has switched over to os x, I can say the transition has gone quite well. I still use windows, but only for the few programs that I need that aren't available in OS X. In general I like the way they've implemented some features (expose and quick look come to mind). They might look flashy, but they're real time savers. Expose works so well, I no longer care that I have less desktop space than I used to (even a single monitor is comfortable for me), and I haven't even bothered trying out spaces yet either.

Also, I have to add another vote for getting more RAM, it really helps the performance. But don't get it from Apple- they charge something like $400 for an extra 2G on the MBP, but if buy your memory from crucial instead (which is probably not the cheapest place to begin with), you can get the whole 4G for $100. Apple doesn't really have an excuse here- even if you're afraid of screwing up, you can afford to screw up 8 times and still come out ahead (because you can sell your old RAM).

0blique on