Options

The move from DX9 to DX10

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
My games don't look as good as I thought they would, and I want to move from DX9 to DX10. This means I have to upgrade to Vista as well, and I'm a little worried about the performance hit I might take. So I have two questions:
  • If I run games like Crysis on high settings in Windows XP SP2, will I be able to use the same settings on Vista?

• I only have 2 gigs of RAM on this machine, so will I have to turn down some settings since Vista requires more than XP?

I have an Nvidia 8800GT, a Core 2 Duo E8650 (3.0ghz) and 2GB of RAM.

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    #1. there generally IS a performance hit on vista compared to XP.

#2. there will be an additional performance hit for turning on DX10 features.

#3. not many games utilize DX10 features, even fewer do in a substantial noticeable way

#4. how are you running Crysis on "high" with only an 8800 GT? which settings are high? one of them? all of them?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you're going to take the cost of Vista just for DX10, I don't think it's worth it, really. At least, not in the current batch of games I've played, and it doesn't look like it's going to change in the future. I was in the pro-DX10 camp before, but the whole thing was just a disappointing wash.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, Crysis is set to high. No AA, but everything else is on high. How hard is that to believe? Also, I already have a copy of Vista that I bought OEM but due to hardware issues I didn't end up installing.

The reason I want to make the switch is because of games like The Witcher and Hellgate: London which should look a lot better than they do max settings.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, Crysis is set to high. No AA, but everything else is on high. How hard is that to believe? Also, I already have a copy of Vista that I bought OEM but due to hardware issues I didn't end up installing.

The reason I want to make the switch is because of games like The Witcher and Hellgate: London which should look a lot better than they do max settings.

I was going to say, I have Crysis at similar setting at 1280x720 with a steady 30fps.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I forgot to ask at what resolution. If it's something like 1280x 720... @ 30 fps. er yeah I suppose that's possible

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    I forgot to ask at what resolution. If it's something like 1280x 720... @ 30 fps. er yeah I suppose that's possible

The sacrifice of owning a 24" monitor (1920x1200).

The Vista performance hit compared to XP isn't that drastic really. It's around 5-10 FPS less, depending on the game and how high your frame rate was in XP.

There used to be a bigger gap when Vista was released, but that was because of less fleshed out drivers. Some people actually still have problems with excessive frame rate loss, but those may be special circumstances with certain hardware combinations.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am no longer upgrading my current PC. I am going to be saving up and doing another major build. Maybe 8gigs DDR3 ram, 2 10,000RPM RaptorX's in Raid-0 Config, and of course an 9800GX2 and Vista.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I dont know if that is a joke or what, but 8 gigs of ram will give you no gameplay improvements over 2 or 4, most people can't recognize any appreciable difference in performance between RAID 0 and regular, and a raptor vs a standard drive. It also won't increase your FPS at all.

and a GX2 is a stupid purchase when you could get 2 8800 GT's and run them in SLI, and also pocket the $200 you save.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    I dont know if that is a joke or what, but 8 gigs of ram will give you no gameplay improvements over 2 or 4, most people can't recognize any appreciable difference in performance between RAID 0 and regular, and a raptor vs a standard drive. It also won't increase your FPS at all.

and a GX2 is a stupid purchase when you could get 2 8800 GT's and run them in SLI, and also pocket the $200 you save.

No no no, I already have my OCed E6400, 2gig DRR2, 8800GT computer ready to go, Runs UT3 great at 1680x1050, 60fps, high graphics.

I meant for like, next gen PC. Games like Project Offset and shit. Like, at least around 2010.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You won't want Vista, then; Windows 7 is [strike]getting rushed out the door[/strike] coming out in 2010.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hopefully it won't be fubared when it hits.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    You won't want Vista, then; Windows 7 is [strike]getting rushed out the door[/strike] coming out in 2010.

Yeah, but won't there be a performance hit when going from Vista to Windows7?

Lawl.

Lucky Cynic on