As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Great D&D Programming Project

124»

• Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Daenris wrote: »
    Well, as far as I know, Hasbro can claim copyright for the look of the game (i.e. the board layout), but can't actually copyright the rules themselves.

You are right. Some game mechanics can be patented*, but actual rules can't be copyrighted / patented.

* For example, Richard Garfield (of MTG fame) did patent tapping, and few other CCG mechanics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collectible_card_game#Patent

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Daenris wrote: »
    However, personally I'd say there's not a lot of point to making an online Scrabble-type game as Scrabulous is pretty huge to fill that niche (at least as long as they don't get taken down legally).

Not everyone uses FaceBook.

As far as legalities go, my lawyer friend said that (a) copyrights apply to deriviative works as well, and (b) basically if they want to, they can find the premise to sue, and pointed out that even if we're in the right, Hasboro has more resources than we do when it comes to taking it to trial.

Now, we come to a problem. I'd really love to separate out discussions of each facet of this project so they don't get all confused in a single thread. However, having multiple threads clutter up D&D is obviously not going to fly either. How does everyone feel about a pro-board or something dedicated to this project?

Nerissa on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That would be excellent.

jothki on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We could maybe get the mods to create a subforum here, like they did for Moe's tavern or for Elki's Debate Competition.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm pretty sure you don't have to play on Facebook, you can just sign up at http://www.scrabulous.com/ and play there.

As to the legalities, like I said I'm not sure, but from everything I've read it basically says Hasbro has no copyright on the rules of Scrabble. So you could make a game with a board that you place letters on to spell words and get points. But personally, I think it's not worth the trouble to even bother. There's something else out there, and as you say Hasbro has much deeper pockets so if they really want to they could make you hurt.

It would make more sense to not even have to worry about legalities -- at least at this stage -- and work on public domain or original games.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    We could maybe get the mods to create a subforum here, like they did for Moe's tavern or for Elki's Debate Competition.

CT has already denied my request for a sub-forum. :(

Nerissa on
  • Options
    XenosX_XenosX_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would like to get in on Art/Sound Effects as well as Ideas. I have a great deal of experience with audio software and music, if need be there for that. I also do a large amount of logo art, especially stuff like ambigrams or stylistic/thematic logos. Regular visual art is there also.

As for ideas, I really like the suggestion of an 'Apples to Apples' style card game, but I think that we should really be looking at an interface for card games in general, using player defined rules. This allows not only traditional games, but also player created games, which would certainly be welcome.

XenosX_ on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »

Well then, we really don't have a choice.

We'll have to staged an armed revolution and take over the forums. Let the threads run red with blood and the tubes get clogged with their dead!

Or we can make a pro-board. Hum, I guess we do have a choice after all.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »

Well then, we really don't have a choice.

We'll have to staged an armed revolution and take over the forums. Let the threads run red with blood and the tubes get clogged with their dead!

Or we can make a pro-board. Hum, I guess we do have a choice after all.

Well, I wasn't going to be the one to suggest mail-bombing CT until he agreed to our demands... ;-)

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    OK, proboard it is...

http://gamesproject.proboards83.com/index.cgi

For now, it's as open as I dared make it. You can register and post right away, you don't need to get authorized. For that matter, I've got guests allowed to post for now too. If / when we start getting spam or trolls, I'll tighten things up a bit.

I expect this thread to die off, so if you're at all interested in working on this project, or even just have some ideas to contribute, please stop over there and check things out.

Nerissa on