As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Just got a WII...

gvandalegvandale Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
So I am out of town in the wonderful city of Tulsa, OK and I went to Target to get my fiance some accessory for her IPOD, and lo and behold I see a pile of WII's sitting there! I snagged one and didn't get any games or anything, as I'm pretty unsure as to get...

On my XBOX 360, I have the standard games (halo, COD4, burnout, mass effect, assassin's creed, etc)

I'm interested in the mario games (paper & galaxy) and that game by the killer7 people...but what else is out there that is really good (not interested in metroid for some reason)...

How's that resident evil game?

Also, how big of a SD card will work in the WII??

Current Game(s) List: Disgaea 4 (PS3) & Dead Island (XBox 360)
PSN Id: gvandale
Xbox Live: Darth Vandale
gvandale on

• CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Zack & Wiki should be mandatory for any Wii owner - it's amazingly good.

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is also awesome in every way, and can be got pretty cheaply too.

Edit: In answer to your Resi question; Resident Evil 4 is far and away the best version of one of the best games ever made, whilst Umbrella Chronicles is a pretty solid light gun game, it's not amazingly brilliant but it is good fun.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • gvandalegvandale Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Zack & Wiki should be mandatory for any Wii owner - it's amazingly good.

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is also awesome in every way, and can be got pretty cheaply too.

Edit: In answer to your Resi question; Resident Evil 4 is far and away the best version of one of the best games ever made, whilst Umbrella Chronicles is a pretty solid light gun game, it's not amazingly brilliant but it is good fun.

I never played nights on saturn (i got a ps, my brother got the saturn...SUCKER!), but I might check it out. What is Zack & Wiki like?

I have limited game time, I work from home & on the road 3-4 days a week, so I get VERY limited game time.

gvandale on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is the best port ever. Get it.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the new party game.

My 2 GB SD card reads just fine in my Wii, don't know if a 4 GB would show up or not.

DarkPrimus on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Zelda: Twilight Princess is good, but there's no reason to get it if you've already played it on GameCube.
    The only excuse for not getting Super Smash Bros. Brawl is that it isn't out yet.

Peewi on
  • unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is outstanding. It is a must have for the Wii and as for SD cards, I think that Nintendo does not recommend any SD card over 2 GB. I recommend taking a look through the booklets that come with the Wii for more info or check the website.

unknownsome1 on
  • KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No More Heroes. Seriously. Best single player game I've played in a while.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mario Galaxy is important, Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario was just mind bending fun, Resident Evil Umbrella Chroniles is great if you have someone to play with (And the zapper), Zelda Twilight Princess... Super Smash Brothers.... Probably one or two more I'm forgetting....

As for the SD card, personally I haven't needed one yet so I dunno....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    RE4Wii gets a recommendation for sure. Take a great (if not the greatest) 3rd person shooter-adventure game and make it both cost less and better? Yes please!

If you want to try an really interesting FPS-platformer, Metroid Prime 3 is phenomenal. Makes beautiful use of the Wii remote, is completely gorgeous,

Brawl is practically a requirement if you have any attachment whatsoever to any classic Nintendo/NES characters (minus Mega Man T_T) or were a die hard Sonic fan and want to finally beat down Mario. Hell it's just a good game with a retarded amount of content.

No More Heroes is semi-frantic action game that is silly, trippy, a little bit abstract, and rather fun. Makes excellent use of the Wii remote. It has good level design and basic mechanics which keep the action fresh while it keeps coming at a rate that just stays this side of the manageable/unmanageable border. You play as a body-building jock of an anime fan with nothing really going for him ... who wins a real light saber from an online auction and thereafter becomes a assassin, ranked in the worldwide list of top assassins. Something of a spiritual cousin to God Hand, minus the "WTF? I don't get these controls!" God Hand initially has.

Twilight Princess gets a rent before you buy from me, unless you've never played a Zelda game in the past decade. I felt there wasn't anything there prior games hadn't done before and better. It's really more of a GameCube game with Wii functionality tacked on (tacked on well, but still tacked on). In my book TP was meant entirely to appease the mass of people who have been frothing for another Ocarina of Time for nearly ten years.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Go man up, return that sissy Wii and buy a PS Triple. Wii's are for waggle fags.
    Serious. You can shoot people and stuff in Resistance. Or teabag nubs in Killzone Deuce.

Excitetruck is the best two player racing game ever. Way better than Motorstorm.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mario Galaxy, Zak and Wiki, No More Heroes and Metroid Prime 3 are the best games on the system.
    (Speaking from a PAL perspective, where we don't have Brawl)
    I'd urge you to reconsider on Metroid.

Xagarath on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You work from home and you have very little game time? If I worked from home, I'd have very little work time.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Brawl, Galaxy for the for sure ones. I also recomend Super Paper Mario, MP3C, and Twilight Princess.

Xtarath on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No More Heroes is great, it's funny and very stylish also very fun.

RE4 is a must have, as mentioned before

Smash Bros. Brawl is also a must have

Super Mario galaxy if you're into that platforming stuff.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    -RE4
    -Smash Bros. Brawl
    -Super Mario galaxy
    -No More Heroes (I don't own this one, but people tell me its great.)
    -Zelda: Twilight Princess
    -Metroid Prime 3
    -Excitetruck
    -Mercury Meltdown Revolution (Hey, I thought it was decent)

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Excitetruck is indeed one of the most underrated titles in recent memory.

Cowbomb: Where can Nights be gotten cheaply?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Herby wrote: »
    Excitetruck is indeed one of the most underrated titles in recent memory.

Cowbomb: Where can Nights be gotten cheaply?

Sorry, that was my bad - you can get it for £20 in quite a few places in the UK (I got mine from Morrisons), but I forgot that doesn't really help US folk like the OP....

(The game's so good that it's easily worth full retail anyway)

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Here is the list that often I post on other forums when more casual gamers are asking what to buy for the system. Descriptions can be little shallow for your tastes, but I think it is still good summary (links go to Youtube videos):

Battalion Wars II : Cutesy real-time action strategy game, where you control army and try to survive through various missions. Has online mode.
    Bully: Scholarship Edition: Port of last generation's most underappreciated sandbox game. Extra content, faster loading times, better textures, and good implementation of wiimote make this must buy if you haven't played it before.
    Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree: Simple game that tests your brains. Suitable for all ages. Not budget priced, but can be found for discount prices nearly anywhere.
    Elebits: Cutesy little game where you run around your home searching for Elebits, ubercute creatures that generate electricity. You also have beam gun that is used to lift and open various things. Gun's power grows as you get more Elebits. Not budget priced, but can be found for discount prices nearly anywhere.
    Endless Ocean: Diving game. You dive around great sea, searching for various fishes, places and treasures. Non-violent and there is no way to die. Depending on who you ask, this is either world's most relaxing or world's most boring game ever. Budget priced.
    Excite Truck: Funky racing game where you drive around with huge truck. Game's gimmick is that you need to get certain amount of start to progress into next race, and stars can be gained by doing various tricks. Multiplayer aspect is little poor (only two players, no CPU opponents). Honestly speaking, I can only recommended this game without reservation for those gamers who want to improve their scores.
    Dragon Quest Swords Do you remember old NES game Punch-Out? This is basically mix between JRPG and Punch-Out. Little short, but Square-Enix has added additional content to US version. Silly fun, and solid rental title.
    Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn One of the greatest strategy RPGs ever created. Little ugly looking, but has great mechanics, and great character interaction. Very long game (50+ hours), and challenging.
    Geometry Wars: Galaxies Remake of classic Xbox Live Arcade shoot em up title. Budget priced.
    Ghost Squad: Fun little light-gun game for Wii. First game to have calibration system, that guarantees that Wiimote works like light-gun. Budget priced.
    Godfather: Blackhand Edition: Average GTA-clone with truly magnificient wiimote controls.
    Guitar Hero 3: Not much to say. Little poorer graphics than PS3 / X360 version has, no buyable songs. But has cheaper price, rumbling guitar, and free online mode.
    Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core One of the greatest games 2D-fighting ever made. Requires Classic Controller.
    House of the Dead Returns: Port of two legendary lightgun games, House of the Dead 2 and 3. Has calibration system that guarantees that Wiimote works like light-gun. Budget priced.
    Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: If you haven't played 3D-Zeldas before, you are for treat. One of the highest rated games of this generation.
    Mario & Sonic at Olympics Games: Fun Track'n Field style game. Features 20 Olympic events that range from fencing to 100 meter dash. Great with friends.
    Mario Strikers Charged: Funny and chaotic sports game that doesn't really have that much to do with soccer. Great multiplayer game, has online.
    Mercury Meltdown Revolution: Great puzzlegame where you try to navigate blob of mercury through maze. Budget priced in USA. 20 dollars. Sadistically hard on higher levels.
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Very good First Person Shooter Adventure for Wii, and second-best FPS controls on the Wii. Easily one of the best games on the system, especially if you haven't played two first Metroid Prime games.
    NIGHTS: Journey to Dreams: Sequel to cult classic. Has some pretty bad platforming sequences and poor cutscenes, but when you are flying, game is pure magic.
    No More Heroes: Quirky hack n' slash game from Grasshopper Manufacture. You are Travis Touchdown, dude who has bought lightsaber from online auction and now wants to be world's greatest hitman. Depending from who you ask, this is best thing since sliced bread, or real bore.
    Rayman: Raving Rabbids: Funny minigame compilation. For multiplayer.
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Port of classic PS2 / Gamecube game. Has excellent wiimote controls, additional extras from PS2 version, uses Gamecube versions engine, has true widescreen, and has budget price (30 dollars). Highest rated game of last generation.
    Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles : Residen Evil themed lightgun shooter for Wii.
    SEGA Superstar Tennis: SEGA mascot's play tennis. Made by Sumo Digital, team behind Virtua Tennis 3.
    Super Mario Galaxy Well, it is a Mario platformer. Furthermore, it is also second highest rated game on Gamerankings ever.
    SEGA Bass Fishing: Remake of SEGA's arcade fishing game. Budget priced.
    Super Paper Mario Funny, and simple platformer RPG. Not recommended if you get tired reading.
    Super Smash Bros Brawl: Multiplayer fighting game with Nintendo characters.
    Sonic and the Secret of Rings: Pretty decent racing game that gets better more you progress into it, but it isn't certainly for everybody.
    Trauma Center: Under the Knife : Port of DS game. You are Dr. Styles, surgeon who tries to save lifes. Rather hard. Sequel, Trauma Center: The New Blood came out this holiday, so you can except this game's price to get lower.
    Zach & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure Funny point n' click game from Capcom. One of Wii's best. Budget priced.
    WarioWare: Smooth Moves Odd minigame compilation. Really short, and only recommended for multiplayer action.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Here's what you NEED--

Mario Galaxy
    Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
    Smash Brothers Brawl

You can pretty much just buy these three games without knowing anything about them because they are pure fucking gold and you'd have to be dead inside not to have fun playing them.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    elkatas wrote: »
    Here is the list that often I post on other forums when more casual gamers are asking what to buy for the system. Descriptions can be little shallow for your tastes, but I think it is still good summary (links go to Youtube videos):

Your list is good.

But it's not "Under the Knife," it's "Second Opinion" - and it's not a port, it's a significantly changed remake of the first with better graphics, sounds, suprisingly good and refreshing Wii controls, new challenges and surgeries, altered surgeries, extra ones, new tools, the ability to change difficulty mid-game, and a new character.

Oh, and GeoWars Galaxies is NOT a simple "remake" of Geowars RE on the Xbox.

Galaxies is a huge game with a ton of new content, far, far more than Retro Evolved ever had. Each level of Galaxies contains about as much content as Retro Evolved did in its entirety, and that doesn't even include the gameplay enhancements - of which include new enemies and world effects as well as the Drones and drone behaviors and ability to upgrade/teach the drones new things. PLUS it has an excellent 2 player mode, and online leaderboards. Top it off with the fact that it includes Retro Evolved in the package, with online leaderboards as well. Works great with classic Controller, and Wii Remote controls are excellent too once you get used to them. Highly recommended.

slash000 on
    edited March 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    *Passionate description of GeoWars*

Yes, I know this perfectly, but like I said, these descriptions were mostly meant for people that don't game much. Same goes for Trauma Center. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Get Brawl, immediately. I hate myself for not getting a job just for it.

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
    edited March 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    *Passionate description of GeoWars*

Yes, I know this perfectly, but like I said, these descriptions were mostly meant for people that don't game much. Same goes for Trauma Center. :)

Ah, okay. Fair enough.

BTW, you've inspired me to make my own comprehensive "Wii Recommendation" list that I'm saving to my webspace so that I can copy and paste it into recommendation threads whenever I need to.

Saves time, since these types of threads pop up periodically. :^:

slash000 on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    elkatas, the videos I clicked on did not work
    to the original poster, I had a lot of fun with Wii Sports for a long time. NMH is crazy awesome and my favorite game in a long time, but it is not for everyone. Super Mario Galaxy is fun.

DouglasDanger on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sonic and the Secret of Rings: Pretty decent racing game that gets better more you progress into it, but it isn't certainly for everybody.

Definitely not for everybody. I actually bought it not having played a Sonic game since back in the early Genesis days (yes, I had been under a rock, apparently) so I had no idea what I was getting into. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Trauma Center: Under the Knife : Port of DS game. You are Dr. Styles, surgeon who tries to save lifes. Rather hard. Sequel, Trauma Center: The New Blood came out this holiday, so you can except this game's price to get lower.

At least until it becomes "rare" and people start paying $50 for used copies.

Anyway, the "must have" titles to me are Mario Galaxies, Resident Evil 4, and Metroid Prime 3. Yes, I know you said you weren't interested, but you should get it anyway. Plus this is for anybody else that might be in your shoes and reading this thread.

Do you have friends? Do they like to play videogames? Are you willing to shell out for additional controllers (GameCube controllers will do)? If you answered yes, yes, and yes then Smash Brothers Brawl is also a must-have. If you answered yes, yes and no then get your head out of your ass. ;-)

So you have three or four must-haves, depending. You should pick up at least two of these, and eventually you should plan on getting them all.

Now, column B. You've got Sonic, Zack and Wiki, Trauma Center, Geometry Wars, and NiGHTS. Look into them all, and figure out one or two that you think you'll like most. Get those. My picks? Sonic and Geometry Wars. But it's all up to you on those. These are all games that I highly recommend, and which most here would also recommend (except maybe Sonic), but if you were to miss any individual one of them it'd be no big loss.

Stick to these two lists, and you will probably be quite happy.

mcdermott on
    edited March 2008
    elkatas, the videos I clicked on did not work

Oh dear... time to search for new videos. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    You work from home and you have very little game time? If I worked from home, I'd have very little work time.

This man speaks the truth. My lunchtime is always much longer then normal if I'm playing COD 4 sabotage.

cliffski on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think everyone would agree with Mario Galaxy and Brawl. After that a tiny bit of opinion gets into it (like excitetruck, RE4, and zack and wiki), then more opinions differentiate (geowars, zelda)

yeah, I'm putting game suggestions into tiers.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    gvandale wrote: »
    So I am out of town in the wonderful city of Tulsa, OK and I went to Target to get my fiance some accessory for her IPOD, and lo and behold I see a pile of WII's sitting there! I snagged one and didn't get any games or anything, as I'm pretty unsure as to get...

On my XBOX 360, I have the standard games (halo, COD4, burnout, mass effect, assassin's creed, etc)

I'm interested in the mario games (paper & galaxy) and that game by the killer7 people...but what else is out there that is really good (not interested in metroid for some reason)...

How's that resident evil game?

Also, how big of a SD card will work in the WII??

AGH. I have been desperately searching for two weeks now. I have Smash Bros and Zach and Wiki in my house and they are speaking to me in the night, telling me how incompetent I am and how they're bleeding inside from not being played. If I don't find one this week I'm going to have to crack open my skull and liberate my frontal lobe.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just realized no one's addressed the SD card size. Up to 2GB is a safe bet, but you can get up to 4GB cards to work so long as they're not "SDHC".

SDHC is essentially SD 2.0 and Wii doesn't support it, not yet anyway. Since the main difference is the file system/addressing on the card, it's theoretically possible for a Wii system update to add compatability.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There may be some 8GB SD cards that work with Wii as well, so long as they are not SDHC.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • gvandalegvandale Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well I grabbed a 2gb SD card since everyone / everywhere said that was about the safest "max" size. I also was able to nab a used RE4:Wii Edition and a Classic Controller both for about $30 total.

I think I might get a mario game (galaxy or paper).

gvandale on
  • shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you have to choose between Mario Galaxy and Super Paper Mario, go with Galaxy. Unless you profoundly hated Mario64, and somehow deeply loved the other Paper Mario games.

Super Paper Mario is fun, but it's mostly puzzle solving, as the platforming is only a minor challenge. It's funny, it's got lots of fun stuff to do, but a "proper" Mario game it isn't.

Mario Galaxy is so good I'm pacing myself so I don't beat it too fast. I don't want it to be over.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Get Mario Galaxy if you like fun games. Get Paper Mario if you like reading.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
    edited March 2008
    Super Paper Mario is not what it sounds like; and what it sounds like is a platformer with cool puzzle elements.

What it actually happens to be is an RPG, an RPG that threw out turn based combat in favor of platforming-style combat.

Me? I really don't like traditional RPGs at all, mostly because I find the combat boring, repetitive, and time consuming. Super Paper Mario was exactly the kind of RPG that I can enjoy, because it takes my 'favorite' parts of RPGs - the story, the characters, etc - and takes away the 'bad' parts and makes them interesting.

Just don't go in expecting a platformer. Expect it to be an RPG driven by story and by solving puzzles. The cool thing about the puzzles is that they combine aspects of 2D gameplay and 3D gameplay, so they're often pretty fun. There are some duds, of course, but every game has its occasional fault. So yeah, it has a lot of text, but I enjoy the humor of the game.

Mario Galaxy appeals to a far wider range of people because it's platforming bliss. The story is merely a framework for nothing but nonstop awesome gameplay.

slash000 on