Options

A quick CS question

ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
I just picked up a laptop for my dad to take away with him as he works away alot, it was a bargin but obviously not top of the line (he already has a very high specced sony that he wont take away for fear of breaking it O_o).

Anyway it's mainly for office/dvds and the like but he asked about playing Counter Strike Source on it so I installed it for him and it gets about 9fps constant unless your looking directly at the floor, then it might manage about 30fps. The graphics card is a crappy Intel 945 GMA, so I kinda figured I would'nt be seeing stella frame rates, but not that low! The thing that really bothers me is that I get the same fps if I set everything to the lowest possible settings (like 640x480 low everything) or high (1280x800 highest everything), no change! I would expect a small improvment at the least.

Should I expect such crap results or am I missing something? Unfortunatly it's running Vista. So that could be the issue as well. Anybody have the same graphics card and experience the same/better results?

Its a HP 530 with an Intel Core 2 duo running at 2.16ghz (2.17 reported actualy) 2gb ram. The only other game I have close to hand is CS 1.6 and that runs smooth as silk, but then it is a million years old.

ginguskahn360.png
ginguskahn on

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Force it to run in Dx7 mode, you should see a massive performance bump

Rook on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Thanks, I tried that, I got 25fps in the stress test instead of 11fps, but I only saw a small jump in fps while indoors on dust, up about 5fps.

At the spawn its still unplayable. Excuse any ignroance on my part, its been many years since I played CS seriously so Im well out of touch.

Apparently I am boned because Source is not on http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel945gm/sb/CS-021400.htm this list.

Are there any good bots I can add to CS 1.6 easily?

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think Counter Strike: Condition Zero is basically 1.6 with good bots. Otherwise zbot for 1.6? It's been a while since I've played with any though.

I am kinda surprised/disappointed that Source is still unplayable :(

Rook on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    I think Counter Strike: Condition Zero is basically 1.6 with good bots. Otherwise zbot for 1.6? It's been a while since I've played with any though.

I am kinda surprised/disappointed that Source is still unplayable :(

Yeah its pretty BS, apparently Doom 3, FEAR and other games on the list run just fine. Ah well, I will try and get zbot later, he dosen't have internet while he's away so he needs bots to practice on. Thanks again.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png