As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Look at me still [chat]ing when there's SCIENCE to do!

• Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    I did that last year. I gave up meat on every day of the week except on Fridays. If I could eat meat in front of a Catholic, it was double points. If that Catholic happened to be a vegetarian, it was triple points.

I don't think I ever found a vegetarian Catholic.
    Doing things for the explicit purpose of offending people you disagree with is a pretty ass-hole-y thing to do.
    Yes...

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You guys do know that no catholic has done that whole "no meat on a Friday" thing in the last half a century, right?

Tav on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I made a point to eat beef at every meal on good friday.

And here I betray my ignorance of Christian Gospel. Why aren't you supposed to eat beef on Good Friday?
    Not supposed to eat any meat on Good Friday, or on any other day of lent, or any other Christian fasting day.

Oh.

Still, you would have gotten extra points if you made meat skewers and called it Jesus-kabob.

Edit: Wait a minute, they decided that "fasting" meant "not eating meat?" What sort of weakass nutrient-deprivation-n00b shit is that?

I wished lots of strangers a happy zombie-jesus yesterday.

I said that to my boyfriend, but he didn't get it :(

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I did that last year. I gave up meat on every day of the week except on Fridays. If I could eat meat in front of a Catholic, it was double points. If that Catholic happened to be a vegetarian, it was triple points.

Doing things for the explicit purpose of offending people you disagree with is a pretty ass-hole-y thing to do.

For any Catholic to get offended by that would be a stretch. Most people I eat with are tolerant, and know enough about me to not be offended.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

But religion is the root of all evil! Everything bad comes from religion!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    You guys do know that no catholic has done that whole "no meat on a Friday" thing in the last half a century, right?

Except during lent and good friday.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008

I like to inform people that Valentine is about werewolves, blood and fucking.

Echo on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Edit: Wait a minute, they decided that "fasting" meant "not eating meat?" What sort of weakass nutrient-deprivation-n00b shit is that?
    Nothing that comes from land animals. No meat, cheese, eggs, milk, etc. Nothing that's touched animal blood or grease either.

Fruits and veggies are ok, as are grains, fish and seafoods, and of course alcohol.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Well, I'm sure any two out of those three hold true for any given person.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I've never heard that one. Explain. Where do the werewolves come in?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Nothing that comes from land animals. No meat, cheese, eggs, milk, etc. Nothing that's touched animal blood or grease either.

Fruits and veggies are ok, as are grains, fish and seafoods, and of course alcohol.

Is this one of those archaic usages things like where "wine" means "grape juice?"

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I always knew you were into fucking werewolves Irene.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Is this one of those archaic usages things like where "wine" means "grape juice?"
    No, it's one of those things where an old pious guy at my church walks around with a bottle of wine refilling people's drinks as we eat lent food.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008

It used to be every friday, now it's only on Good-Friday.

Most Christians still eat meat on Good-Friday, anyway.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hey Richy, that quote you have in your sig from Mcdermott, the one about covering a rock with paper, I think that's actually from a Demetri Martin show or something.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008

It used to be way more than that. It used to be every Wednesday and Friday, 40 days before Easter, 40 days before Christmas, and on various Saints' holidays. It used to be somewhere between a third and half of the year were fast days.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008

No, it's one of those things where an old pious guy at my church walks around with a bottle of wine refilling people's drinks as we eat lent food.

No, I meant how "fasting" doesn't actually mean "don't eat food." Just like apparently some Bible scholars say that all the references to wine in the Bible are actually grape juice, and that's why good Christians still shouldn't drink alcohol, despite the Bible talking about wine a bunch.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hey Richy, that quote you have in your sig from Mcdermott, the one about covering a rock with paper, I think that's actually from a Demetri Martin show or something.
    Is it? He stole someone else's quote? That bastard.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008

It used to be way more than that. It used to be every Wednesday and Friday, 40 days before Easter, 40 days before Christmas, and on various Saints' holidays. It used to be somewhere between a third and half of the year were fast days.

I bet that was easier back when most people were peasants and couldn't afford meat all that much anyway. And the rich people could just buy indulgences from the church.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008

No, I meant how "fasting" doesn't actually mean "don't eat food." Just like apparently some Bible scholars say that all the references to wine in the Bible are actually grape juice, and that's why good Christians still shouldn't drink alcohol, despite the Bible talking about wine a bunch.
    Ah I see. Well then to answer your question, I have no idea where the tradition of what to eat/drink and not to eat/drink during fasts came from. To be honest, that's one Church tradition I don't quite obey :oops:

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I've never heard that one. Explain. Where do the werewolves come in?

From whatever pagan ritual Christianity hijacked and slapped the Valentine label on.

http://www.fatemag.com/issues/2000s/2006-02article2a.html has it in the headline, but doesn't have the whole article. Checked wikipedia briefly but couldn't find it there.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I bet that was easier back when most people were peasants and couldn't afford meat all that much anyway. And the rich people could just buy indulgences from the church.
    Indulgences are a purely Catholic concept while fasting is universal in Christianity. Plus, indulgences are a much more recent idea than fasting. So indulgences didn't influence the choice of fast days.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ah yes, Lupercalia. There's the werewolf connection.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wait... did you really just call me an asshole for mocking a ritual that you yourself don't even obey?

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wait... did you really just call me an asshole for mocking a ritual that you yourself don't even obey?
    No, I called you as asshole for deliberately trying to offend people who obey it.

When I'm with people from my Church who fast, I fast as well. I don't go out of my way to eat meat in front of them.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No, I called you as asshole for deliberately trying to offend people who obey it.

When I'm with people from my Church who fast, I fast as well. I don't go out of my way to eat meat in front of them.

I do that for vegetarians.

But they have to be cute.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

You don't have to obey it to respect the feelings of people who do.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Eh, I suppose I should clarify: It's not like I explicitly said to them, "I'm eating this meat today, I hope it offends you." I hardly see why I should conform to some eating standards when around someone who is doing them.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    In theory, by eating meat, you are helping them do the ritual to its fullest effect.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I don't go out of my way to pretend to hold to the traditions of other people's faiths, especially faiths that are routinely used as justification to cause actual harm to real people.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ALocksly wrote: »
    SCIENCE!

science

edit: sorry couldn't resist

SCIENCE!

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Are supernatural creatures considered furries?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I. Feel. Awful.

Guh. . .like a pile of sentient poo. I think my body is rebelling.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    boo [chat] name

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Tarranon sucks.

I worked in my SCIENCE! lab all easter. That gives me +100 heathen points!

[PS: I'm also Atheist now, in case anyone wonders as I had some rather large changes in life over my hiatus from the forum. So people are clear and are not zOMG]

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Dragons fucking.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Dragons fucking.

The horrible furry fanfic I read involved a dragon.

And a large stallion.

Yeah.

One day. One day.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When I'm rich I'm totally building a animatronic furry theme park

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    When I'm rich I'm totally building a animatronic furry theme park

With horse on dragon sex?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dragon on horse, silly.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.