Options

Drilling Through Tempered Ceramic

SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, for a little project I'm working on I need something that can drill through tempered ceramic. More specifically, the stuff that the first pentiums were made out of. (Yes, I am drilling holes in 15 year old chips)

None of the shit I have is getting the job done. Can you guys tell me what I need to buy to drill through this junk without cracking it? Is it even possible?

Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
kavinskysig.gif
Sushisource on

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What have you tried so far?

The only suggestion I can offer off hand is to start with the smallest drill bit you've got and drill progressivly larger holes until you get to the size you need.

see317 on
  • Options
    Victor15bVictor15b Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, for a little project I'm working on I need something that can drill through tempered ceramic. More specifically, the stuff that the first pentiums were made out of. (Yes, I am drilling holes in 15 year old chips)

None of the shit I have is getting the job done. Can you guys tell me what I need to buy to drill through this junk without cracking it? Is it even possible?

What all have you tried so far?

And when you say its not getting the job done, do you mean you can't drill through the ceramic, or are the chips cracking?

Victor15b on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You are going to need a diamond bit to do that. The best would be to use some water to cool down the ceramic to prevent it from chipping.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bingo. You'll need (ideally) a diamond drill bit, or failing that, a high quality carbide tip bit. Use a really slow drill speed (100-200 RPM I'd say), and definitely cool it with water, or even better, a cutting oil (though this may stain the ceramic, I don't know...) Oh, and don't apply -too- much pressure to the drill, obviously. Otherwise you'll possibly break the ceramic, or the drill will skip out of the hole and ruin the piece. But using too little pressure will just cause the bit to get hot without doing any work.

Step drilling is probably the best way to achieve a larger hole, too. If you're going any bigger than 1/4" or so though, it's going to take a long time and the results probably won't be so great.

I know they have diamond drilling kits for porcelain tiles and fixtures you can buy at plumbing stores and such. That might be a great route.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    The only way you're ever going to do this without shattering the thing is a diamond bit, and I'd recommend securing it with a vise. Use padding on the vice to absorb the intense rattling it's going to take, you don't want the ceramic rattling against bare metal. The suggestion to spray it with a cutting oil or water while drilling is a good one, too.

I think the major concern is going to be the vibration/shock it'll be absorbing. Tempered things like to shatter. Ceramics do absorb heat nicely though, so that's less of a worry if you ask me. But I've never had to do that.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    http://robertpeloschek.blogspot.com/2007/02/howto-make-cpu-keychain.html

This guy did it, and he also used a diamond drill bit.

it also took him 4 hours to drill the hole.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cycophant wrote: »
    I know they have diamond drilling kits for porcelain tiles and fixtures you can buy at plumbing stores and such. That might be a great route.

This was my thought as well, something like the bits at the top of this page.

I've used a similar thing for ceramic bathroom tiles, and I know my dad used one on granite floor tiles. I'm not certain how much harder tempered ceramic is going to be than either of those materials, though.

japan on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tempered ceramic is hard. Real hard. Hence the 'tempered' prefixing its name. This stuff isn't meant to be drilled through, so take it easy and step it from smallest to largest.

Also, I wouldn't stick it in a vise like previously suggested. The drill bit will tend to trail, especially since the human hand and arm isn't steady. The vise will also increase the likelihood of the chip shattering.

I would use a drill press and a clamp (c-clamp or a pony clamp) to put pressure on the top and bottom, against the drilling platform. This will minimize the chance of breakage.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Great suggestions guys, thanks. I'll be heading over to Home Depot soon. (They'll have this stuff, right?)

Thanks for the link FyreWolf, that is basically exactly what I'm doing.

I won't need to step up much, if at all, the hole only needs to be big enough to fit a little metal chain through.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Great suggestions guys, thanks. I'll be heading over to Home Depot soon. (They'll have this stuff, right?)

I won't need to step up much, if at all, the hole only needs to be big enough to fit a little metal chain through.

O_o

Are you making pentium bling?

Victor15b on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Tempered ceramic is hard. Real hard. Hence the 'tempered' prefixing its name. This stuff isn't meant to be drilled through, so take it easy and step it from smallest to largest.

Also, I wouldn't stick it in a vise like previously suggested. The drill bit will tend to trail, especially since the human hand and arm isn't steady. The vise will also increase the likelihood of the chip shattering.

I would use a drill press and a clamp (c-clamp or a pony clamp) to put pressure on the top and bottom, against the drilling platform. This will minimize the chance of breakage.

Lots of people have vises/can get vises for cheap. Drill presses, not so much. Though if you clamp it correctly, a drill press is absolutely the best way to do it.

And yeah, home depot will sell you a diamond tipped carbide bit. They're not "cheap" but they're definitely within the realm of sanity.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Victor15b wrote: »

O_o

Are you making pentium bling?

Makes a cooler keychain than whatever you're using, I bet.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    We're dying to know,

How'd it turn out?8-)

Victor15b on