As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Movie Release Awareness for April '08

GimGim a tall glass of waterRegistered User regular
edited April 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
What magical horrors will await you in the Enchanted Hallway of...

Movies for April 2008

April 4:
Leatherheads
Director: George Clooney
(imdb, wiki, apple trailer)
I loves me some George Clooney. I don't really cares for me any Renee Zellweger.

Shine a Light
Director: Martin Scorsese
Scorsese dons his Godard hat and films the Rolling Stones. I wonder why this was delayed for so long. It was filmed in 2006. It will be showing in IMAX theaters.

Nim's Island
Directors: Jennifer Flackett, Mark Levin

The Ruins
Director: Carter Smith
The plot of this sounds a little like The Care Bears Movie.

My Blueberry Nights [limited]
Director: Kar Wai Wong
(imdb, wiki)
Ooo, hot diggity. New Wong Kar Wai. And music by Ry Cooder.

The Grand
Director: Zak Penn
Looks to be something like a poker version of Best in Show and other such Christopher Guest comedies.

April 11:
Street Kings
Director: David Ayer
Keanu Reeves, Forest Whitaker, and Hugh Laurie walk into a movie...

The Visitor [limited]
Director: Thomas McCarthy
Thomas McCarthy also directed The Station Agent, so if you like small talky films, this might be up your alley.

Smart People
Director: Noam Murro

Prom Night
Director: Nelson McCormick
A remake of the 1980 film.

Young@Heart [limited]
Director: Stephen Walker
(imdb, apple trailer)
A documentary about a group of senior citizens who play modern and classic pop and rock songs.

April 18:
88 Minutes
Director: Jon Avnet
Again, here's another movie that was delayed. This was shot in 2005. The runtime is 108 minutes. Al Pacino stars.

The Forbidden Kingdom
Director: Rob Minkoff
Jackie Chan and Jet Li. The plot to this sounds a little like Teenage Ninja Turtles III.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Director: Nicholas Stoller
Kristen Bell.

Pathology
Director: Marc Schoelermann
(imdb, wiki)
Medical student kill for kicks. Remember Alyssa Milano? She's in this.

Where in the World Is Osama Bin Laden? [limited]
Director: Morgan Spurlock
Morgan Spurlock once again dons his "Well, at least I'm not as annoying as Michael Moore" hat and seems to be asking a decent enough question. Did anyone see his FX show? How was it? I never did see any of the episodes but was always a bit curious.

April 25:
Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
Directors: Jon Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg
Woo!

Deception
Director: Marcel Langenegger
(imdb, wiki)
Something about Ewan McGregor, Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, and a sex club.

Baby Mama
Director: Michael McCullers
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler read the news for 90 minutes. Or something about a baby. Either or.

Roman de gare [NYC]
Director: Claude Lelouch
(imdb, apple trailer)

Deal limited]
Director: Gil Cates Jr.
(imdb, wiki, [url=]apple trailer[/url])
If you didn't get enough gambling after 21 and The Grand, then let Burt Reynolds do his thing.

Then She Found Me [NYC]
Director: Helen Hunt
(imdb, wiki)
You know, I haven't heard a thing from Helen Hunt in a long ass time, and then bam, actor/director.

---

For more extensive releases from the US and other parts of the globe, feel free to dig through these links:
-Australia
-Canada
-Germany
-UK
-USA

---

I might see Leatherheads. I might see Harold & Kumar. If I hear good things, I'll eventually see My Blueberry Nights.

You?

Gim on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I probably won't see it in theatres, but I'll be damned if that "Shine a Light" trailer doesn't get me pumped up.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Harold and kumar and the osama hunt one look like the best bets for good movies.

edit: forgetting sara marshall might be alright too.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    About fucking time, Gim. I only demanded this like four hours ago. INSTANT GRATIFICATION NEXT TIME PLZ :P
    Gim wrote: »
    Leatherheads
    Director: George Clooney
    I loves me some George Clooney. I don't really cares for me any Renee Zellweger.
    Can't wait for this. Clooney + John Krasinski = <3. Though Renee Zellweger is going to suck some fun out of this one, I think it'll be good.
    Shine a Light
    Director: Martin Scorsese
    Scorsese dons his Godard hat and films the Rolling Stones. I wonder why this was delayed for so long. It was filmed in 2006. It will be showing in IMAX theaters.
    Scorsese. Rolling Stones. IMAX. Do we really need to say more?
    Street Kings
    What the fuck? Who casted this? How many bullets did it take to kill said unholy creature?
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall
    Director: Nicholas Stoller
    Kristen Bell.
    Well put, my friend.
    Where in the World Is Osama Bin Laden? [limited]
    Director: Morgan Spurlock
    Morgan Spurlock once again dons his "Well, at least I'm not as annoying as Michael Moore" hat and seems to be asking a decent enough question. Did anyone see his FX show? How was it? I never did see any of the episodes but was always a bit curious.
    I'm excited for this. Rumor had it that the second it was shown to studio heads, they were foaming to get a hold of it. If you really buy into rumor, they say he found bin Laden. Spurlock isn't a piece of shit like Moore though, I would like to think he would have given him up if only to see the US government finally stop chasing this ghost. I watched 30 Days when it was on (lasted two seasons, like 12 episodes) and it was really good. The very first episode is really moving. They (he and his fiance) try living on minimum wage for a month. Short answer: pretty fucked.
    Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
    Directors: Jon Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg
    Woo!
    I think I'm legally required to see this one.
    Baby Mama
    Director: Michael McCullers
    Tina Fey and Amy Poehler read the news for 90 minutes. Or something about a baby. Either or.
    SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD BEFORE IT SPAWNS MORE OF ITSELF

Satan. on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gim, don't make me hit you.

The Ruins is nothing like Turistas.

From what I heard, they butchered the book (which is the most disturbing book I have ever read) to make a generic horror.

The movie is about a group of tourists who get trapped on some ruins in Mexico. While the vines within the ruins try to kill them, their main problem is just general survival. They have little food and water and are trapped there for weeks, not to mention trying to keep someone with a horrible injury alive.

The only common theme between this and Turistas is that the characters are tourists in Mexico...and I am pretty sure that Turistas was supposed to be in South America, so really, the only common theme is olol tourists.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I probably won't see it in theatres, but I'll be damned if that "Shine a Light" trailer doesn't get me pumped up.

There are a couple of clips of it on Martin Scorsese's recently launched MySpace page that are kind of neat. For some reason, I still have more friends than he does.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Satan: Yeah, Spurlock is much more manageable than Moore. They do both play essentially the same game, though.

Spectre: Yep, white tourists in Spanish speaking countries is pretty much was I was seeing in both. See, I drew you into the process. Doesn't it feel good to contribute?

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    No, because that is not a good comparison!

Turistas was a slasher film that was too heavy-handed in its message.

The Ruins is a story about survival and a killer plant.

You change that little blurb, Gim. The Ruins is a great book and while the movie looks to be just a fluff version, I have been waiting for this movie since December.

Also, there are 4 Americans, 1 German (who speaks English and German), and 1 Greek (Who only speaks Greek and no one can undstand him.)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They're doing an advance screening of Shine a Light on Tuesday here; hopefully the line won't be ridiculous like it was for 21.

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Blurb changed.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Also, I saw a preview for Young @ Heart and it looks awesome.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Blurb changed.

Funny enough, I like your new blurb. :P

Also, if you are a horror fan, this month looks pretty weak. The Ruins will be the only decent horror fick you are going to see. Prom Night was pretty horrible when it first came out and this remake wasn't needed, nor will it be any good. That other one (With Milano) looks horrible as well.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I might have to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall just because they put a pearl necklace joke in the fucking trailer.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Street Kings
    What the fuck? Who casted this? How many bullets did it take to kill said unholy creature?

Are you kidding me? This looks hilarious.

Training Day? But with Keanu Reeves? And Hugh Lauri being a gritty cop or something for some reason?

So sold.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Also, I saw a preview for Young @ Heart and it looks awesome.

It sounds awesome. If there was any chance it would be playing around here, I would definitely see it.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    Street Kings

Training Day? But with Keanu Reeves? And Hugh Lauri being a gritty cop or something for some reason?

So sold.
    Did you just use Keanu Reeves as a positive?

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Street Kings

So sold.
    He is used as a positive when you go see an action crime drama that is absolutely hilarious-looking.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    These documentaries make me all sad.

Jesus fuck do I hate the Rolling Stones, they've been playing the same set for how many decades now? I don't understand the appeal of a concert documentary, even if it were for a band that I enjoyed.

Morgan Spurlock's movie is.. uh.. I don't really have the words here. I just don't know how this could be entertaining. I read a review that says not only does he not find anybody (I hope that's not shocking), he doesn't film anywhere slightly dangerous. So we'll basically get 90 minutes of Morgan Spurlock dicking around during interviews.

Young@Heart. I get the idea, but I don't know if I could sit through hours of this. The trailer was sappy enough. Old people weird me out.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    ConvaelConvael Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No, because that is not a good comparison!
    Turistas was a slasher film that was too heavy-handed in its message.
    Turistas had a message?

Convael on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i've been hearing that the spurlock movie kinda sucks, which is unfortunate because i really liked supersize me.

the harold and kumar sequel should kick some ass

but let's be real here, april is small potatoes compared to may, which should be INCREDIBLE

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

So sold.
    He is used as a positive when you go see an action crime drama that is absolutely hilarious-looking.

Spectre knows what's up. It's obviously not the reaction they're going for, but I didn't stop laughing through out the whole trailer, and when Hugh spoke I had to start the whole thing again because I missed everything that happened afterwards.

werehippy on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    whitey9 wrote: »
    These documentaries make me all sad.

Jesus fuck do I hate the Rolling Stones, they've been playing the same set for how many decades now? I don't understand the appeal of a concert documentary, even if it were for a band that I enjoyed.

Morgan Spurlock's movie is.. uh.. I don't really have the words here. I just don't know how this could be entertaining. I read a review that says not only does he not find anybody (I hope that's not shocking), he doesn't film anywhere slightly dangerous. So we'll basically get 90 minutes of Morgan Spurlock dicking around during interviews.

Young@Heart. I get the idea, but I don't know if I could sit through hours of this. The trailer was sappy enough. Old people weird me out.

A great concert movie was the Who's Quadrophenia Live from the 90's. Sure, past their prime, but hearing the entirety of the album performed with guest stars? Yes please.

I don't have as high of hopes for Shine a Light though, but at least it's free.

thanimations on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

There are a couple of clips of it on Martin Scorsese's recently launched MySpace page that are kind of neat. For some reason, I still have more friends than he does.

There's something surreal about Scorsese creating a MySpace page to promote himself.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm guessing someone is pointing a gun at him from behind the camera. But whatever, I always get a kick out of listening to him ramble on and on and on.

Gim on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hoz on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I totally didn't realize the Sarah Marshall thing was a Apatow and Co movie. Do Mila Kunis and Krisiten Bell have a 45 minute lesbian sex scene by any chance?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I totally didn't realize the Sarah Marshall thing was a Apatow and Co movie. Do Mila Kunis and Krisiten Bell have a 45 minute lesbian sex scene by any chance?

I'm off to bed now. I'll let you know in the morning.

Satan. on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    So going to watch The Forbidden Kingdom

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Also Street Kings

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Didn't Jet Li say that he wasn't going to be in epic movies anymore?

The Forbidden Kingdom seems epic.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I'm off to bed now. I'll let you know in the morning.

I don't remember this dream. But if it happened, it was totally hot.

Satan. on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2008
    What Dyna said.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Yeah, I think after Fearless he said no more martial arts movies, period. Guess that didn't last.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Baby Mama looks so fucking horrible, but John Hodgman is in it for some reason.

You still couldn't pay me to see it, but why, John, why?

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hugh Laurie sold me on the Street Kings.

reVerse on
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So Baby Mama is a practical joke, right?

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ruins_Smith.jpg

I wanted to pimp this movie a bit, since it comes out on Friday and will be the best horror movie that is released this month.

If you are even slightly interested, I would suggest that you read the book.

It is the scariest book I have ever read.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    i've been hearing that the spurlock movie kinda sucks, which is unfortunate because i really liked supersize me.

the harold and kumar sequel should kick some ass

but let's be real here, april is small potatoes compared to may, which should be INCREDIBLE

Spurlock will be on OSU's campus on 4/10 to speak. For any Columbus people, here's the link to more info: http://fye.osu.edu/speaker.html.

And more on topic, can't wait for Harold and Kumar. (White Castle's corporate headquarters is located in Columbus, OH!)

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    whitey9 wrote: »
    So Baby Mama is a practical joke, right?

loooks like a comedy to me.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I didn't stop laughing through out the whole trailer, and when Hugh spoke I had to start the whole thing again because I missed everything that happened afterwards.

See... I figure this is either a joke, or I apparently have no sense of humor, because the trailer wasn't really funny at all. It was more... "Oh fucking hell that looks stupid..." I couldn't find it funny unless they added more ridiculous to it. I don't blame the actors, though. They look fine, honestly. I'm peeved with the stupid fucking writing.

*Catches a guy*

Reeves: "What do they call you?"

Guy: "Quick."

Reeves: "Quick? Not quick enough." *badoom pish*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Get it?!

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Yeah, I think after Fearless he said no more martial arts movies, period. Guess that didn't last.

If you've seen Godfather III or Carlito's Way, then you kind of know how these things work. Once you get in the game, you just can't quit.

JamesKeenan on