As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unofficial PAX wiki

TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in PAX Archive
I'd like to announce the creation of the unofficial PAX wiki at http://pax.wikidot.com

Yesterday I was about to suggest a wiki with PAX information. A lot of useful information is scattered around these forums and I think it would be helpful to consolidate it.

But I decided if I want a wiki I shouldn't whine about it, I'm just as capable of starting an account at a wikifarm as the next guy. So that's exactly what I did. It's still very rough around the edges and it may be a little soon to unveil it publicly, but if anyone wants to help me populate it with content I'd appreciate it.

I'm going to try to lift and cite whatever useful information I can find, hopefully this will catch on.

PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
Transparent on

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ah, good idea! I like!

I guess it's a wiki so we can do whatever we want... but what do you think of adding a "transportation" section (to feature things like the CCST and the WCST), and a "related events" section (to feature things like the pre-pax dinner and the pre-pax tour group)?

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I have a section called travel, it's linked to in How do I get to PAX on the side, and Travel on the top. There are links to the trips on the bottom of that page, but I haven't created content yet (I'm focusing on food right now, I want that section to eventually be a downtown Seattle city guide).

Both of those things are certainly good things to have, I just haven't created the content yet. I've only been at it a day. Anyway, add away if there's stuff you want on there.

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    No worries! =) Heh, I'm a bit nervous adding to a Wiki. I've never actually done it, because I've always been afraid that what I'll add will be stupid/inappropriately placed and people will get upset as a result. =) I don't have the cajones to Wiki it up directly. ;)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ah, good idea! I like!

I guess it's a wiki so we can do whatever we want... but what do you think of adding a "transportation" section (to feature things like the CCST and the WCST), and a "related events" section (to feature things like the pre-pax dinner and the pre-pax tour group)?

Based on this, I added info on the supertrips, and an unofficial events section with placeholders for the events I know about (but no descriptions of the events, I'll do that next). It's still pretty far from what I want it to be, but I'll be too busy to do any updating for a few days.

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    n/p! I'll try to be brave and add some info after work today. ;)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm back at it again, and I've made updates I'm actually happy with today in
    http://pax.wikidot.com/convention-center
    and
    http://pax.wikidot.com/hotels

Transparent on
  • Options
    sstairsstair Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Doesn't seem like much of a wiki if it can't be edited by anyone but you.

sstair on
    Stair's Law: Never date a woman with more tattoos than you.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I was able to edit it! I think you just have to make an account with it. That's all I had to do.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I wish there wasn't a registration process, and I wish it explained how to register better when you hit the edit button.

Maybe there should be a note about needing to register to edit on the main page.

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Aye, that could be beneficial. I figured it out given a few minutes, but there was a short period of head-scratching before I noticed what was going on.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Minor thing: with the underline in place, I read "What special guests will be at PAX" as "What special quests will be at PAX".

Nothing big, but it did get my hopes up for a PAX ARG or something...

AltDelete on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, I just poked around the site settings and found that indeed there is an option to allow edits from anonymous users. That's turned on now. If vandalism becomes a problem I'll revert to needing a user name.

People who register can move and rename things.

I also have the option of turning on site forums (so there can be discuss this page threads for instance). They're not on because I thought they might be redundant, but I could easily be swayed.

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    AltDelete wrote: »
    Minor thing: with the underline in place, I read "What special guests will be at PAX" as "What special quests will be at PAX".

That would be fucking metal. There's enough time for someone to plan something like that still (it won't be me, I'm not that creative).

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I also have the option of turning on site forums (so there can be discuss this page threads for instance). They're not on because I thought they might be redundant, but I could easily be swayed.

I just found a great compromise, I added a module that allows people to add comments. That's set up now.

Transparent on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    AltDelete wrote: »

That would be fucking metal. There's enough time for someone to plan something like that still (it won't be me, I'm not that creative).

Well, last year, there was the Terradrive Live thing. They may be doing it again this year, but I haven't heard anything about it.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the infoz, I just shot terradrive an e-mail, I'll post what their response is.

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the infoz, I just shot terradrive an e-mail, I'll post what their response is.

They still haven't responded. It's probably still too early for that kind of announcement anyway.

Transparent on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I threw a stop gap page for the Pre-PAX Dinner in there. I put it at the top because, well, it is the oldest and largest local community-run event.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thank you. It's so old I thought it was official. I'm interested in attending, but I'm taking WCTT, and while the track record for that route improved dramatically when BNSF gave Amtrak priority over freight August of last year, I still don't want to count on it.

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's been a while since this thread was on the front page. The wiki has come a long way. But there's content I haven't been able to cull that I think would be super cool to have in one place, like links to the registration pages of all the stuff the vendors are running in the tabletop gaming area for instance.

So this is another call for the community to add content, this thing could be totally useful if it catches on.

Transparent on
This discussion has been closed.