As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dual-Booting Vista and Windows XP

GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I just got a new copy of Vista Ultimate from a Microsoft event, and thought I'd give it a shot. I want to dual-boot it next to my current XP install for now though. I've read that I should be able to use the diskpart utility to shrink my current partition so I can create a new one for Vista, but when I run diskpart it doesn't accept shrink as a command.

Anyone had this happen? Are there easy alternatives if I want to dual-boot?

Ganluan on

• embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Installing a second HD may be your best bet, if you can.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I believe there are some things to be careful about with dual booting XP and vista with XP installed first. Some people have run into problems, so if you aren't already familiar with dual booting and partitioning, I would not do this, as it can be trouble even in the best of times.

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.