As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Plok! It's like Rayman, only not at all! The End!

GilderGilder Aw snapMacaroni PartyRegistered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
PlokUS0000.jpg

Hey guys, let's play some Plok. What is Plok? Well you see, Plok is a a freaky yellow and red thing that throws out his arms and legs to beat stuff up. He also has a gigantic life bar with about 15 notches that translates to about 3-4 hits from anything. Also as this is a SNES game, he cannot swim.

Notable things about Plok: There are none, nobody has played this game. There's me and maybe 2 other people. However, I can say some cool stuff about it.

1. There's no water levels. At all. Plok cannot swim and that's that. He can't magically swim in one level and then can't the next, no he can't swim at all.

2. This game has some of the best diddling music in any platformer ever made on the SNES. It is completely awesome and I love all of it. I think it may be because Rare was involved with this game and their games have the best music.

3. This game gets pretty tough later on. Because of this, I never beat it as a child. However I have beaten it recently so I can confirm that it is possible.

4. FUCK THE LAST BOSS WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING PROGRAMMERS?! JESUS CHRIST IT IS STUPID!

Some of you may be saying, "But Gilder, you already did a video of Plok's first world. Why not just post that one?" To you I say that that video sucked just like all of my other early videos did and I don't know why you crazy people liked them. Good god. Also you may be saying "But I thought you quit doing videos." To that I say I did. And now I haven't. But after this, I probably will again. Hooray!

This thread is also all me baby, nobody's riding my coattails this time. It's an event not seen since Pink Panther. So with that, let's play some PLOK!

Videos!

Cotton Island! I am going to be sued by the Disney Corporation.

Garlen Beach, Sleepy Dale, and Plok's House! Plok is super racist against fleas.

Island on Parade! It's the 1920's or 1950's or whatever, I can never decide a time to stick with.

Penkinos! I found after recording this that Plok actually is the king of Akryllic. How bout that?

Venge Thicket and Dreamy Cove. I noticed a hut at the bottom of the beach on the world map. We never go there. Mysterious.

Womack Spider. This is the best video ever made and makes Casablanca wish it was a cinematic masterpiece such as this.

Creepy Crag and GoHome Cavern. Hey guys, have I put in enough effort yet? A hyuck hyuck hyuck. Part 1. Part 2.

Rockyfella. Blah blah, whatever.

Some Fleapit levels. Gimmicks ahoy! Part 1. Part 2.

More Fleapit levels. Can you say more vehicle levels? Plok sure can! Part 1. Part 2.

The End! Part 1. Part 2.

Note: I've been given mod permission to do threads like this in the past, I know what's what and all that jazz. You probably do not so ask a mod before you attempt your own.

Gilder on

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Everyone knows swimming levels are impossible without Blast Processing.

august on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ill be following this lets play, also i think the mods asked people not to ask them if they wanted to start lets plays.

Edit: I could read the ingame text easily

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looks awesome, time to put this on my PSP.

artoo on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Blue map wrote: »
    Ill be following this lets play, also i think the mods asked people not to ask them if they wanted to start lets plays.

That so? Maybe that was the thing that got edited out of the OP in my MM LP. If a mod wants to edit that out of this OP or wants me to remove it I'll be sure to do so but just in case, I'll keep it in.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    OH diddle.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ahahaha. "I've been diddled again!" Thats the best thing ever. Good to see you doing another LP Gilder!

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh hey. I watched your intermission video of Plok. Good to see you playing the whole game. I've seen this game before but never played it, always looked like fun though. I'll be keeping my eyes on this.
    Gilder wrote: »
    Blue map wrote: »

That so? Maybe that was the thing that got edited out of the OP in my MM LP. If a mod wants to edit that out of this OP or wants me to remove it I'll be sure to do so but just in case, I'll keep it in.

So wait...does that mean we don't have to ask mod permission anymore and we can just post new LP threads at will, or does it mean we're not supposed to do LPs at all? I would doubt and seriously hope against the latter, seeing as how you just made this thread and all.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    There's actually one more end-level comment that I find amusing as well but it's no diddle. It's just a simple GADZOOKS!

Gilder on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh wow Plok! I haven't played this since the year it came out LONG ago.

Wow that was long ago.

Now I feel old.

Damnit Gilder...

Polago on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh my God! You're back, Gilder! :D

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Has anyone found where these logs are coming from? IT IS A MYSTERY!

artoo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Gilder, I'm here to diddle with you. :twisted:

Wherein Shady rocks harder than Gilder! (Warp to a BETTA LEVEL!)

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is it just me or do most non-Super Mario World SNES platformers look really bland nowadays?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Gilder, I'm here to diddle with you. :twisted:

Wherein Shady rocks harder than Gilder! (Warp to a BETTA LEVEL!)

You know, I actually didn't know about that warp until I played through this time. The warp that's really hard is later on and it warps you to the last world. That one is really difficult because there's a bunch of walls blocking you and you have to throw grenades to get through. The thing is, you can't aim the grenades and they need to go to the lower ones. Plus if you miss even one jump, you're almost screwed because you're probably going to get trapped under the edge of the next piece of land.

That video isn't going in the OP though because this is MY show. Not yours. So get your own!

Gilder on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This game looks awesome.

However, I think that if I do play it by myself it won't be NEARLY as awesome without Gilder's wonderful voice.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If you do play it yourself though you'd be able to hear the awesome music.

Oh and because I am awful at recording sound, here is the awesome boss fight music. Seriously, it is the most awesome boss music I think I've heard in any platforming game. Also, I don't think I've said awesome enough in this post so let me say it again. Awesome.

Gilder on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You seriously have the best LP voice I've ever heard. I'm gonna go look up your other one snow.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Some of you may be saying, "But Gilder, you already did a video of Plok's first world. Why not just post that one?" To you I say that that video sucked just like all of my other early videos did and I don't know why you crazy people liked them. Good god.

Now now now, Lost Levels is a classic and will always be so.

Still, awesome that we're getting another Gilder LP. Missed ya, buddy.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wholeheartedly approve. I loved Plok (guess I'm one of those 2 other people, eh?), but never could get to those last few levels.
    And that soundtrack... <3<3<3 Tim Follin...

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PlokUS0000.jpg
    Notable things about Plok: There are none, nobody has played this game. There's me and maybe 2 other people. However, I can say some cool stuff about it.

I am one of those two other people. Fuck the final boss.

Kelor on
  • Options
    ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My God, just viewed the first video, and I have to say I absolutely love the narrator. What and excellent Let's Play! Really funny, I really enjoyed it! :lol: Also, the Boss music absolutely kicks ass.

Zilart on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Actually Plok is secretly famous (work that one out). I remember Plok being played on an australian kid's game show back in the day called "A*mazing". One of the rounds involved the kids playing a snes game against each other (or trying to get a high score) amongst other games they played Plok, DKC, Mario Kart, Bubsy and if I remember correctly the flyswatter game in Mario Paint.

Looking back now, the producers on that show must have been really lame and/or poor. Although I guess they did give away Gameboys if you found all they keys in the maze in the final round. I always laughed at the kids that missed a key or two, the look on their faces when they realised they weren't getting a gameboy was priceless. :lol:

Anyway, Plok. Can't wait to see more.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hell yea, another LP, thanks Gilder, you've saved me from boredom at work for countless hours :)

Snare on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This game looks pretty amazing. I'm going to try to track down a copy.

Gilder, you should make the game volume a bit louder in the next video.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah I tried, it's just hard to get game audio with the microphone I use. No recording program really cooperates with it and trying to record the game and my voice separately would probably cause desynching which is worse than having no audio at all. I'll try turning up the game volume a bit more though, I think I'm just out of practice with how loud I need to make it.

Gilder on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I played a lot of Plok when it came out, and just the other day was thinking of giving it another go. Loved the music, and the black and white level was so cool.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gilder is my bishie. <3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh shits. I thought I was the only one who remembered this game. The harmonica at the beginning was the coolest damn thing ever (as a child).

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Plok is a badass.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I vaguely remember renting this at some point, but I don't think I got very far.

Speaking of Gilder Let's Plays, we need like a dvd release of the Mario All-Stars videos or something. I'm sure Nintendo would approve.

Lars on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gilder's back, woot! Hee hee, diddle.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I remember as a kid I really wanted this game.

So one day we were in this game store and I had to make a choice between Plok or Phantasy Star 4.

I made the right decision.
    Phantasy Star 4, obviously. I mean, I'm not retarded or something.

But still. Plok is pretty awesome.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    PlokUS0000.jpg

I am probably the other guy, still have it (and the manual), but usually never got farther than 1 or 2 levels past the 4th boss.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PlokUS0000.jpg

What? No. NO. This is my cherished childhood memory, dammit, you can't have it! D:
    Yes, fuck the last boss and 2 of the levels leading up to it. Now I need to dig this game up again...

naengwen on
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    PlokUS0000.jpg

I am probably the other guy, still have it (and the manual), but usually never got farther than 1 or 2 levels past the 4th boss.
    I'm not sure where I fit in. I loved this game when I was younger.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    did·dle verb, -dled, -dling.
    –verb (used without object)
    1. Informal. to toy; fool (usually fol. by with): The kids have been diddling with the controls on the television set again.
    2. to waste time; dawdle (often fol. by around): You would be finished by now if you hadn't spent the morning diddling around.
    3. Informal. to move back and forth with short rapid motions.
    –verb (used with object)
    4. Informal. to move back and forth with short rapid motions; jiggle: Diddle the switch and see if the light comes on.
    5. Slang.
    a. to copulate with.
    b. to practice masturbation upon.

Trevor on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Total diddle job.

august on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Trevor wrote: »
    did·dle verb, -dled, -dling.
    –verb (used without object)
    1. Informal. to toy; fool (usually fol. by with): The kids have been diddling with the controls on the television set again.
    2. to waste time; dawdle (often fol. by around): You would be finished by now if you hadn't spent the morning diddling around.
    3. Informal. to move back and forth with short rapid motions.
    –verb (used with object)
    4. Informal. to move back and forth with short rapid motions; jiggle: Diddle the switch and see if the light comes on.
    5. Slang.
    a. to copulate with.
    b. to practice masturbation upon.

Heh, I only knew the meanings under 5, hence the giggling. Who knew diddle had clean meanings?

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I can't believe there's actually this "many" people who have played this game. I'm astounded. Also, nobody mention what makes the last boss so difficult if you're one of those that reached it. It needs to stay a surprise for those who have no idea what it could be and people might be too tempted to click a spoiler and find out.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I read on Wikipedia that it's a sleeper hit. No surprise a fair amount of people know about it.

Shady3011 on