As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Using monitor for PS3, but what about speakers?

XenoXeno Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I have a question. I will be getting a PS3 soon and will be using my samsung 226bw monitor to hook it up via a hdmi-dvi convertor. I will be using this.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10085237&catid=

My question is, what do I do about speakers? 2.1 speakers are fine, but I have absolutely no idea how to hook them up!! Going through a computer is not an option for me.

I know on the back of the PS3 is some input called digital out optical. I have absolutely no idea what that means. I would be willing to spend some money for some computer speakers I could use for the ps3.

Thanks a lot guys.

Xeno on

Posts

  • embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You can use the av cable that comes with the system. It has RCA out (white & red), which you should be able to convert to a stereo miniplug connection (if need be). Then you can use the typical 2.1 speakers. There's options when you set up the system to specify a different audio output, so it will let you output video to HDMI and audio to something else.

    The optical out comes out via an optical toslink connection (fiber optic). Your speakers would have to support that.

    embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

    I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    In order to use the surround sound (to use Dolby Digital) audio from the PS3, you'll have to use the optical cable. Most desktop speakers aren't equipped with anything but a 1/8" headphone jack, so make sure whatever you get has a little receiver included (this is what does the digital decoding). For example the Logitech Z-5500: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=us,en#

    There are probably less pricey options, just make sure what you get has "on board digital decoding" -- unless you want to use the Composite cable and only get stereo. In which case you can supply any desktop speaker set, but you'll probably need one of these adapters https://yourcablestore.3dcartstores.com/35mm-Stereo-Headphone-To-RCA-Adapter_p_17-121.html or one of these http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=Adpt-2RcfMsf&preadd=action

    Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fristle wrote: »
    In order to use the surround sound (to use Dolby Digital) audio from the PS3, you'll have to use the optical cable. Most desktop speakers aren't equipped with anything but a 1/8" headphone jack, so make sure whatever you get has a little receiver included (this is what does the digital decoding). For example the Logitech Z-5500: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=us,en#

    There are probably less pricey options, just make sure what you get has "on board digital decoding" -- unless you want to use the Composite cable and only get stereo. In which case you can supply any desktop speaker set, but you'll probably need one of these adapters https://yourcablestore.3dcartstores.com/35mm-Stereo-Headphone-To-RCA-Adapter_p_17-121.html or one of these http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=Adpt-2RcfMsf&preadd=action

    HAHA, yeah, those speakers are a BIT too much out of my price range. And stereo sound is still good right?
    embrik wrote: »
    You can use the av cable that comes with the system. It has RCA out (white & red), which you should be able to convert to a stereo miniplug connection (if need be). Then you can use the typical 2.1 speakers. There's options when you set up the system to specify a different audio output, so it will let you output video to HDMI and audio to something else.

    The optical out comes out via an optical toslink connection (fiber optic). Your speakers would have to support that.


    Ok, so I buy a simple set of 2.1 speakers. I then open the PS3, take out the included composite wires, plug them into the PS3, then I hook up the 2.1 speakers to the little adapter fristle posted, and on the other end, I plug in the composite wires from the PS3. Is that how it will go? Then I go into the PS3 menu and set video for HDMI and audio to rca or whatever?

    Sounds stupidly easy haha.

    So both the speakers AND the sub will work this way?

    Thanks guys btw, great help.

    Xeno on
  • FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Xeno wrote: »
    HAHA, yeah, those speakers are a BIT too much out of my price range. And stereo sound is still good right?

    Sure, analog stereo is fine, but surround can make action games a little more immersive.
    Ok, so I buy a simple set of 2.1 speakers. I then open the PS3, take out the included composite wires, plug them into the PS3, then I hook up the 2.1 speakers to the little adapter fristle posted, and on the other end, I plug in the composite wires from the PS3. Is that how it will go? Then I go into the PS3 menu and set video for HDMI and audio to rca or whatever?
    ...
    So both the speakers AND the sub will work this way?

    That's how it goes, yes. Set audio to "Stereo" (it may even be the default). The sub will work, yes.

    Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.