As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thief 4 - Probably in the works.

augustaugust where you come from is goneRegistered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
Looks like Eidos Montreal is working on both Deus Ex 3 and another game that starts with a T.

Facebook profile of one of the managers over there looks like EDIT: Basically her profile pic was the letter T in the Thief typeface but she took it down.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Also, it's nice that the ttlg people will give the NMA some competition. Which is what this great nation was founded on.

august on

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thief, where the rubber sap and a bow are the funnest weapons.
    Thief, who wears hard-soled shoes just for the challenge.

Thief - come back, we miss you.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2008
    i hope it is awesome

bongi on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I tried to play Thief (thieves?) 1&2, but they were too retrograde for my computer to actually run them, which was a shame... what did I miss? Never even heard of Thief 3 - I was probably too busy playing Counterstrike.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You missed awesome and the Thief games work on most modern systems although sometimes you have to fiddle with things.

august on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    I tried to play Thief (thieves?) 1&2, but they were too retrograde for my computer to actually run them, which was a shame... what did I miss? Never even heard of Thief 3 - I was probably too busy playing Counterstrike.
    You don't have to miss anything.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh, thanks for that Lork. My CDs are at home but now at least I know where to look =)

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When it came out, Thief was probably the most atmospheric game ever created. The distant shouts of the guards, the clacking of your boots underfoot, the sound of your own breathing - really, really incredible audio for a game at the time. It may not very well hold up nowadays, but I still enjoy Thief 2 whenever I stick it into my PC.

And some parts are scary as shit. (Assuming shit terrifies you.)

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    From what I've heard this week, I'm pretty sure Thief 4 is in the works.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    august wrote: »
    Also, it's nice that the ttlg people will give the NMA some competition. Which is what this great nation was founded on.

Yikes. Read through the thread there and most were bitching about Bioshock being commercialized garbage...

Clevinger on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thief is probably my favorite game series of all time. I generally can't stand other stealth games because of it - I couldn't get into MGS for the longest time because of it.

So, yeah, I'm excited, even if Eidos are retarded, and will probably market it as an Assassin's Creed clone. I hope this... Montreal thing doesn't mean they're going to use a new team. If they're developing Deus Ex 3 as well, they need to be fucking competent.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh fuck yes. I just recently started playing Thief 3 again, with high res texture packs installed.

Thief is the shit. All of them.

I hope they bring back the rope arrows if they do make a 4, though. They were sorely missed in 3. At least we got them in Dark Messiah. The AI could use some work, too. Thief 3 is way too easy, even on expert. I'm the type of person who usually plays games on normal, too.
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Thief is probably my favorite game series of all time. I generally can't stand other stealth games because of it - I couldn't get into MGS for the longest time because of it.

MGS isn't anything like Thief, though, I like them both. I liked Tenchu, too.

Hate Splinter Cell though. Linear trial and error is not my thing.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »

So, yeah, I'm excited, even if Eidos are retarded, and will probably market it as an Assassin's Creed clone. I hope this... Montreal thing doesn't mean they're going to use a new team. If they're developing Deus Ex 3 as well, they need to be fucking competent.

It's a new team making both.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A continuation of Thief and Deus Ex?

Can I get a hell yeah?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Can I get a hell yeah?

No, but you can get an "I hope it turns out okay."

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pancake wrote: »

Can I get a hell yeah?

Indeed.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Get the third game. It's the best of the series, and not coincidentally, it is the one with multiple paths and most freedom of how to do things.

Make sure you get the X-Box version though - the GC and PS2 versions were gimped and had more linear maps. It's backwards compatible with 360.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Get the third game. It's the best of the series, and not coincidentally, it is the one with multiple paths and most freedom of how to do things.

Make sure you get the X-Box version though - the GC and PS2 versions were gimped and had more linear maps. It's backwards compatible with 360.

The PC version is even better, even if it is filled with StarForce.

Clearer textures and higher resolutions and all that.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Can I get a hell yeah?

Also, The PC version of Chaos Theory is by far the best.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I can't imagine even a KBAM being better controls than the X-Box controller for Chaos Theory... especially since thumbstick is far superior for a game where you want to control how fast the character is moving.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I can't imagine even a KBAM being better controls than the X-Box controller for Chaos Theory... especially since thumbstick is far superior for a game where you want to control how fast the character is moving.

On the PC, movement speed is controlled with the mouse wheel. Scrolling up on the wheel incrimentally speeds you up until you reach maximum speed and then scrolling down will reduce your speed until you hit the minimum.

The only "problem" with it is that when you stop moving, you're still set to move at your previously set speed and so might take off running unintentionally.

Some people find this way of controlling your movement speed awkward, but I find it preferable to a thumbstick. It's actually more precise.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Well you could always use a gamepad on your pc.

august on
  • Options
    InsiderInsider Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thief games are some of the best ever made and I can't wait for Thief 4.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Oh, thanks for that Lork. My CDs are at home but now at least I know where to look =)

Play these. If I see you on tf2 and you haven't played them no ubers or healing until you've played them.

That's how good they are.

Although that's a bit of an empty threat since I'm on my way out to buy dmc4 which will keep me even further away from tf2. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    plz to take away everything they added to thief 3 for the xbox

Thief 1+2 are easily in my top 10 favorite games list, for those that make lists... i hope for one day a thief that is like thief 1+2 but also like assassins creed... so that you die easily if found by 5 guards etc etc

Barcardi on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JOIN US JOIN US JOIN US NOW

Barcardi on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Well you could always use a gamepad on your pc.

In the PC versions you just scroll the mouse wheel to control speed. It works really well.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm really glad these franchises are not dead.

I hope they will be improvements on the previous two titles.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Can I get a hell yeah?

Exactly.

Considering Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2? "I hope it turns out okay" is the best that can be said.

But hell, at least they're TRYING. It's better then nothing.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hi there, you just compared Thief 3 with Deus Ex 2. Don't do that.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    shryke wrote: »

Can I get a hell yeah?

Exactly.

Considering Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2? "I hope it turns out okay" is the best that can be said.

But hell, at least they're TRYING. It's better then nothing.

There's also the fact that both Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 are being worked on by new teams.

Thief 3 and DXIW? They all had quite a large number of the original people working on them and they turned out less than stellar in a lot of ways.

And if I remember right, these new teams actually are new. It's hard to judge how things might turn out when they're more or less unproven.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Both were sequels to awesome games. Both were developed simultaneously for the PC and the XBox. Both were a step down from the previous entries in the series.

One of the 2 was simply a larger step down.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Both were sequels to awesome games. Both were developed simultaneously for the PC and the XBox. Both were a step down from the previous entries in the series.

True, and they both used the same engine, too, I guess you could throw in. -_-

Thief 3 still managed to keep the core gameplay mechanics, story, and atmosphere intact, though, and up to par with previous entries.

Yeah, the level size nerf, and lack of rope arrows did suck, but I'd hardly consider lowering the game size so that it could be released on console the equivalent of the changes in Deus Ex 2. That game changed what was good about the first one, I don't think Thief 3 did at all.

Though, come to think of it, the level size nerf might have been intentional, given how huge Thief 2's were. They fit Morrowind on the xbox, afterall.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

On the PC, movement speed is controlled with the mouse wheel. Scrolling up on the wheel incrimentally speeds you up until you reach maximum speed and then scrolling down will reduce your speed until you hit the minimum.

The only "problem" with it is that when you stop moving, you're still set to move at your previously set speed and so might take off running unintentionally.

Some people find this way of controlling your movement speed awkward, but I find it preferable to a thumbstick. It's actually more precise.

Precision? In my PC controls? I refuse to believe it!

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Though, come to think of it, the level size nerf might have been intentional, given how huge Thief 2's were. They fit Morrowind on the xbox, afterall.

They've admitted that it was an engine limitation. While they were implementing the new features to UE2.5 that Ion Storm had been advertising so heavily, like the real-time lighting engine, they inadvertently neutered the engine.

It could no longer render water or support levels any larger than you see in Thief 3. They also had a lot of trouble getting rope arrows to work properly and they were removed because they didn't feel they worked well enough to be in the full retail game.

They weren't happy about it, but at that point, they had spent too much time working on the engine and were forced to use it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008

True, and they both used the same engine, too, I guess you could throw in. -_-

Thief 3 still managed to keep the core gameplay mechanics, story, and atmosphere intact, though, and up to par with previous entries.

Yeah, the level size nerf, and lack of rope arrows did suck, but I'd hardly consider lowering the game size so that it could be released on console the equivalent of the changes in Deus Ex 2. That game changed what was good about the first one, I don't think Thief 3 did at all.

What your saying does not compute. Smaller level sizes is one of the things that made Thief 3 suck. The huge, sprawling, non-linear levels were what MADE Thief.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It didn't really seem that way to me, but then again, I haven't played Thief or Thief 2 since they were relatively new games, so my perception may be off. I remember they were so much fun to play, and thief 3 seemed like more of the same, albeit with some features missing.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was just thinking about how awesome a Thief game in a post Assassin's Creed world would be the other night. Hopefully rope arrows will make a triumphant return.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Yikes. Read through the thread there and most were bitching about Bioshock being commercialized garbage...
    It just makes you realize that the PA Bioshock trolls aren't trying hard enough.
    Luckily however, the IW bitching is top grade.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Beck wrote: »
    I was just thinking about how awesome a Thief game in a post Assassin's Creed world would be the other night. Hopefully rope arrows will make a triumphant return.

There's already an awesome stealth game with rope arrows out, thats better than Assassin's Creed. And coincidentally has the best melee combat I've had the pleasure of seeing. Dark Messiah.

Thief's never been about combat though. I feel like I"m cheating if I kill anyone. And I technically am, since Thief/2's expert mode disallowed it, while 3's permits killing guards.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Clevinger wrote: »
    It just makes you realize that the PA Bioshock trolls aren't trying hard enough.
    Luckily however, the IW bitching is top grade.

I'll be honest, we take fucking PRIDE in our bitching about sequels to Deus Ex and Thief 2.

shryke on