As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ARGH! DVD drive won't read (some) DVDs!

DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
I am on Vista, and this is annoying me. My dvd drive refuses to recognize dvds, while it reads cds fine.

Nearest I can tell, the problem began after installing Exteel (thanks, "copy protection!"). Anyway, after installing that when the open beta came around, and subsequently being unable to play due to it's own copy protection not starting up, I decided to say screw it and go play something else. Around that time I picked up ArmA Gold and the IL-2 Collection. I go to install those, but my dvd drive just doesn't do anything. Double clicking on the drive just pops up a "please insert disc" message, and opens the tray. I popped STALKER back in (which I already had installed), and it reads fine. I noticed that both ArmA and IL-2 say on their boxes that they only support XP, so I figured it was just some Vista thing, and I set them aside not worrying too much about it.

Fast forward to more recently. I just picked up and installed an 8800GT, so I can join the modern era of PC gaming. Well wanting to get some games to take advantage of the hardware, I picked up UT3 and Crysis. So I go to install.

SAME. DAMN. THING.

The discs just sit in the drive, doing squat. Again I checked with some other games I already have installed, those discs read fine. As a test, I dug out Quake II. That starts up fine as well. Hmmm. I tried UT2 (not installed). Won't read. Oblivion (again, not installed), won't read. Morrowind? Yes read.

So, from what I can gather, my system won't read dvds of games I haven't installed yet, while it WILL read dvds from games I have, and all cds. I've tried giving System Restore a shot, but the thing blue screens mid-way through the process. Fortunately, the "undo failed system restore" option seemed to work ok. I've also checked the dvd drivers, and those are up to date.

I have a lot of stuff installed, and really REALLY don't want to reformat if I can avoid it. So if anyone can think of anything else I could try, I'd really appreciate it.

I just want to play some Crysis :cry:

Dartboy on

• Options
    focused7focused7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Had the exact same thing happen to me. The drive would recognize CDs but not DVDs. Probably just the drive starting to go out. I replaced mine and the new one works fine. Drives are pretty cheap these days. Probably be the first thing I'd recommend you to try.

focused7 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I suppose I could do that, it's just weird that it will read dvds for things I've already installed. I was wondering if there might be, I dunno, some registry thing that got corrupted or something.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've seen this happen a few times, usually means the drive is dying. However, since you said you installed stuff with copy-protection, that may also be at fault, and probably is. Search for a removal program for the specific type of copy-protection it was (starforce?).

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I just went and bought a new drive. That seems to have fixed it.

Dartboy on