As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The legacy of Disney [Nostalgia On]

Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
So my girlfriend and I were feeling a little nostalgic last weekend and decided to pop Disney's Hercules (on VHS!) in for a few giggles.

Over 10 years later, I was still impressed with the production values on display and the kiddie jokes still made me giggle with child-like abandon. I found myself remembering and singing along to all the corny songs.

That made me think back to the influence Disney cartoon movies had on me growing up and musing over the fact that, even as a teenager growing out of cartoons, Disney shows remained the exception. The almost-yearly new Disney movies were always a highlight of the year, not to mention great dating experiences for a young R.U. The theatre-loving friends of my youth and I would spend many a bus or car ride reciting scenes and songs from The Little Mermaid and The Lion King by heart, right up into my twenties. Heck, I remember a time where a buddy and I got drunk on a precarious bit of scaffolding overhanging a train track belting out Under the Sea as trains roared past below us.

Do you have any Disney-related memories to share? What are your thoughts on the Disney movies and how they treat their material? How do you feel about Disney's trend to "Disney-fy" stories, often grossly changing the themes and telling of the tales to make them more "happy"? What is your favorite Disney movie? You least favorite? How do you feel the Disney cartoons has impacted the animation and movie industries as a whole? Musical numbers, yay or nay?

Here is a list of all of Disney's "canon" (i.e. official theatrical releases). I must say, I was surprised at some of those on the list, as I didn't really feel some of these (i.e. Fun and Fancy Free and Melody Time) even counted.

Let's talk about cartoons!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
Romantic Undead on

• Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man there is too many to name! The shows probably had a bigger impact on me then the movies, Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Timon and Pumba etc. etc.

My most favourite Disney Movie? The Great Mouse Detective for sure. Damn you Ratigan!!

Also from what my mom tells me when I first saw Beauty and the Beast I bawled my eyes out at the part when you think Beast died. I don't remember any of it since I was so young at the time.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    Alice in Wonderland is my favorite, by far. I can't count the number of times I've seen that movie.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There are some good ones, I liked the rescuers, Fivel, and others that were sort of old world and animal oriented the most.

The fact that they are so ubiquitous while Grimm is almost unknown is kinda sad. Nobody understands why the slippers are made of glass in Cinderella, for instance. Which, I mean yeah, boo corporal punishment and all that, but goddamn if lopping off your toes and heel isn't a good visual for the extents to which people will go for fame and fortune and the foolishness of destroying yourself for that aim.

moniker on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    There are some good ones, I liked the rescuers, Fivel, and others that were sort of old world and animal oriented the most.

The fact that they are so ubiquitous while Grimm is almost unknown is kinda sad. Nobody understands why the slippers are made of glass in Cinderella, for instance. Which, I mean yeah, boo corporal punishment and all that, but goddamn if lopping off your toes and heel isn't a good visual for the extents to which people will go for fame and fortune and the foolishness of destroying yourself for that aim.

I do wish they kept the part about the wicked sisters getting their eyes pecked out by crows though

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    The Emperor's New Groove is so great.

The Little Mermaid or Aladdin are obviously the best though.

Medopine on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

That's not quite right.. Cinderella isn't a Grimm Brothers story; plus the slippers weren't originally glass anyway.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My most favourite Disney Movie? The Great Mouse Detective for sure. Damn you Ratigan!!

:^: I believe it was also the first Disney movie to use computer-generated graphics (during the clocktower scene).

The thing that always gets me about Disney movies is their ages. I mean, Snow White was made in the freakin' thirties, yet Beauty and the Beast is from the nineties. It blows my mind that they were making great movies for 60+ years, especially when I remember that I saw most of the 90s movies in the theater.

It also makes me even more sad to see the horrible state Disney's in now. They still make good things when they work with Pixar, but everything past The Emperor's New Groove just didn't impress me.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Woah... Fivel (An American Tale) is not a Disney Movie.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

That's not quite right.. Cinderella isn't a Grimm Brothers story; plus the slippers weren't originally glass anyway.

The Grimm brother wrote a version. It's a folk tale the origins aren't fully known

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of changes made to classic fairy tales, how do you guys feel about that? Should Disney have let things be and told the stories as they were originally intended, or was the "happyfying" of the tales a wise and generally innofensive approach?

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of changes made to classic fairy tales, how do you guys feel about that? Should Disney have let things be and told the stories as they were originally intended, or was the "happyfying" of the tales a wise and generally innofensive approach?

I don't see a problem with it. They're movies for kids after all.

Medopine on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

The Grimm brother wrote a version. It's a folk tale the origins aren't fully known

Yeah, but if you're going to complain about Disney changing a story, you can't point to an already changed version of the story and claim it's less culpable.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I seem to recall hearing that it was originally a French folk tale.
    Alice in Wonderland is my favorite, by far. I can't count the number of times I've seen that movie.

Can you stand on your head?

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Alice in Wonderland is actually quite different in book form. Quite.

Medopine on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I grew up watching Disney movies, although the only one I own now is Mulan. Nostalgia for me is Robin Hood, Great Mouse Detective, Beauty and the Beast. I never really got into the classics like Cinderella and Snow White.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Checking wikipedia the French version by Charles Perrulaut appears to be the first one that uses the glass slippers and fairy godmother and whatnot.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Daenris wrote: »

Woah... Fivel (An American Tale) is not a Disney Movie.

Huh, you're right. I didn't realize Spielberg did that. Still, the animal movies were awesome. Way better than most of the human ones, with Aladdin being the obvious exception.

moniker on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Nothing gets a film enthusiast's blood boiling like mentioning Disney :P

I loved me some Little Mermaid growing up.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    "I thought my life was bad, but that Oedipus guy, sheesh."
    Much love for Hercules, Aladdin, and Lion King. I still know all the songs from the Lion King.

I am actually going to Disney world this Thursday, so I expect to remember more than I do (Went last when I was 8).

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    The Emperor's New Groove is so great.

The Little Mermaid or Aladdin are obviously the best though.
    I'm pretty sure Medopine has not only won the thread but also established that we're also relatively close in age.

---

Aladdin is by far my favorite with me having the entire movie's scrip memorized as a child. The Little Mermaid was all sorts of crazy awesome in my childhood memories, and I didn't see The Emperor's New Groove until I was 18 and found it to be brilliant then. I'll also throw in an honorable mention for Hercules and An American Tail.

Edit: Though apparently that last one isn't Disney. Ah well.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yeah, but if you're going to complain about Disney changing a story, you can't point to an already changed version of the story and claim it's less culpable.

I didn't think there were many differences between Perrault's and Grimms'.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "It's a good thing you're not a big, fat guy, or this would be REALLY difficult!"

Emperor's New Groove was pretty great. :P

"A llama? He's supposed to be DEAD!" "Yeah.....weird."

Nova_C on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kilroy wrote: »

:^: I believe it was also the first Disney movie to use computer-generated graphics (during the clocktower scene).

According to Wikipedia, it was actually The Black Cauldron, though both are great Disney movies and I don't think I was previously aware that either used CGI.

Overall I liked a lot of Disney movies as a kid, but I feel like the newer ones have been going downhill, and I can't tell if this is actually true or if it's just the nostalgia talking. I mean looking at that list I'd be hard pressed to name a bad one before like the mid-90s (though a few from the 40s I don't recognize, so who knows). Since the mid-90s you have some good ones but mixed in with a bunch that are just kinda eh.

Daenris on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Be Prepared is the best Disney Song.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    NOT DISNEY:

Fern Gully
    An American Tail
    The Brave Little Toaster

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "I thought my life was bad, but that Oedipus guy, sheesh."
    Much love for Hercules, Aladdin, and Lion King. I still know all the songs from the Lion King.

I am actually going to Disney world this Thursday, so I expect to remember more than I do (Went last when I was 8).

I'm pretty sure Florida State Law requires you to go on the Dumbo ride at least once when there. And if not, it should.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    But those are three great fucking movies.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008

Never read the book. I found a translation once, when I was a kid, but it was too expensive. :(

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It is all about The Lion King.

Strongly based on Hamlet? Check. Jeremy Irons? Check. Elton John and Tim Rice Soundtrack? Check.
    I'm neglecting the Kimba the White Lion business. That's not cool, Disney

I must admit, I am upset by the DVD version not being the original theatrical cut. That's something that annoys me more on the Aladdin DVD though, where they've changed one of the lines in the opening song.

area on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The Brave Little Toaster

This movie is the reason why I never throw anything out.

Also, The Jungle Book should be way up on the list.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The Disney Alice actually followed the Alice story fairly closely if not losing lots of subtext and wordplay.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Anyone remember this one? I watched it religiously and always thought it was Disney.
    2a6le29.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    What the hell is that

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    NOT DISNEY:

Fern Gully
    An American Tail
    The Brave Little Toaster

I totally forgot Fern Gully. I loved that movie as a kid. I could probably recite all of Batty's lines to this day.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Elki wrote: »

Never read the book. I found a translation once, when I was a kid, but it was too expensive. :(

I think most of the stuff from the movie actually happens in Through the Looking-Glass. I could be wrong, though.

Also, I am obliged to point out that you all are heathens, because no one has mentioned The Sword in the Stone. God I watched that movie so many times as a kid.

Edit: Fern Gully always makes me mad at Disney that they pissed off Robin Williams and he didn't do voice acting for 10 years after Aladdin. Goddammit, he's too amazing at it to waste.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's interesting to note that while an American Tale, The Secret of NIMH and all those were NOT Disney movies, their creator, Don Bluth, is a former Disney employee who left Disney to form his own studio, so, in a roundabout way, they still owe their existence to Disney.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    lion king and aladdin would definitely be my favorites.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    He did All dogs Go To Heaven too

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, I love Disney movies! Older favorites have pretty much always been: Peter Pan, Robin Hood, and The Jungle Book. Later, I was able to add Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Rescuers Down Under, and The Lion King as well. Sadly, I agree that since The Lion King, their quality has waned, excepting diamonds like The Emperor's New Groove and Hercules.

And the two Fievel movies were some of my very favorite non-Disney films growing up.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I've been spending some time re-watching old Disney clips, and I have been shocked - shocked - by my discovery that Aladdin is, in fact, not very good at all. Oh sure, Disney pushed their visuals to the limit in there, and I can easily see how my nine-year old self would be thrilled by it, but the horrible celebrity work (when did I think Gilbert Gottfried as a comic-relief parrot was ever a good idea?) and milquetoast main characters were just awful.

It did teach me that all Grand Viziers are evil, though. I give it credit for that.

In contrast, The Hunchback of Notre Dame flew right over my head as a kid and now I think it was one of the best films Disney ever put out. The opening might be the best in Disney history, except for maaaybe The Lion King's, and that's only because I can't get that abominable African background chant out of my head.

Also, TLK sounds great in French. Give it a listen sometime.

Rust on