As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bow Street Runner: Georgian History based adventure game

subediisubedii Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/C/city-of-vice/game/bow-street-runner/game.html

Based off the (UK) Channel 4 series "City of Vice" (which I never watched), you play as one of the "Bow Street Runners" (think of them as sort of constables / detectives for the time period), solving cases that happen on the streets of Covent Garden circa 1750.

It's basically a browser based point-and-click adventure / detective game. Closest "professional" game I can think to compare it to would be Discworld Noir, with the necessity of evidence and tying things together.

I've played the first chapter so far, and it's actually pretty good. I wasn't expecting that for a game meant to advertise for a TV series, but it's fairly well acted and it's an interesting detective adventure game in its own right. Every now and again there'll be a mouse gesture mini-game to acquire more evidence or perform some in-game action.

Any important evidence is automatically recorded in your casebook for future review, and like any good adventure game, you have an inventory. When you've gathered all the evidence you can from a scene you typically receive a prompt to leave it and move on.

I thought you might like to have a look. From the first chapter it seems short and easy, but it's well done and has a good setting to it.

subedii on

• devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hrm. Will have to check this out.

devoir on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I started the second chapter, and I just performed an autopsy.

Cool.

subedii on