As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to disable Bitcomet via Linksys Router

Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I know I made this thread before, but the information given to me did not work. I was told that disabling UPnP would block out Bitcomet, but it does not.

Does anyone know how to block out Bitcomet before I whoop my roommate's ass?

pasigfa7.jpg
Kewop Decam on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    un-plugging his ethernet cable until he smartens up would be my recommended course of action.

I think you can block the port bittorrent uses, but that would block it totally for you too, if you do use it.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You can set it up so his IP and MAC Addy can only access certain port ranges

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll just reiterate the advice I gave last time you asked. The WRT54G firmware version I'm using has Quality of Service (QoS) options available in the web administration under Applications and Gaming. You can set a specific device (by MAC address) to lower priority, or set a specific port number on the router to lower priority. That way, if he's downloading tons of stuff, it will get low priority so it won't negatively impact your own web use, and when no one else is using the internet his speed will ramp back up.

Alternatively, if you just want his downloading to completely stop you either need to figure out what port ranges the program uses and block them (which will likely be a temporary solution since he can just change the port) or block his access completely until he agrees to stop downloading.

Or upgrade to a better firmware (DD-WRT as suggested in the other thread) to get some more effective means of controlling traffic, though this may be overkill depending on your computer savvy.

Daenris on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll try that later tonight Daenris. How do I get his MAC address?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well assuming you know his IP or computer name, in the Linksys web management, go to Status, Local Network, and DHCP clients table. It'll show the name, IP, and MAC address of every computer connected. Though like I said, the QoS section also allows for setting it based on the physical port on the router, so if he's connected by wire, you can just apply it to whichever port he's attached to.

Daenris on