As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me find a new laptop

PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello all, I was hoping you guys could help me find a new laptop computer.

The screen is starting to go (has some black lines and is really dark) on my old Compaq Evo, so I need a replacement.

I'm don't need it to be a gaming computer, I have a desktop for that, I just want it to do the usual stuff: internet, office, movies and be decently fast. I am also on a rather limited budget, $400 - 500 would be great, but if that's not possible maybe up to $700. I would rather sacrifice some speed or features for price.

I am a university student in the U.S., so any of those sort of discounts would work for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edit: My school gets a ~10% discount from Dell, if that helps...

Pemulis on

• Options
    honkymcgoohonkymcgoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    if you dont mind going used, Id say check out craigslist. There are even new in box things on there so you could get a deal on a new one. The other plus to craigslist is you can offer someone a trade. I just heard back from a dude who had the black macbook all pimped out,t hen upgraded to the macbook pro. Im trading him a spare ipod touch ive got lying around and giving him 200 cash and getting this:

# 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    # 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    # 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    # SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    # Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    # AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

and the remainder of his applecare plan. I realise you may not have an ipod touch lying around but my point is if youre willing to go even slightly used you can get some rockin deals on craigslist. Especially if you live in or near a big city. Also you can check the refurbs on most major manufacturer sites, they come with decent warranties usually and are a bit cheaper.

honkymcgoo on
    I didn't even know what the fuck and avitar was until about 5 minutes ago.
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hmm, that's a good idea. I am OK with used as long as it is in good condition.

I'm curious what sort of deals anyone knows about for new laptops as well. After checking hp and dell I'm a little lost.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    honkymcgoohonkymcgoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    as far as student discounts go, I know apple, dell, gateway and hp all have like a ten percent discount. Other than that Im not sure, I know my school(FSU) had a computer store on campus that had more of a discount(Usually around 20 percent) And yeah, as far as craigslist goes I just always make sure I meet them first adn check it out. Make sure itll power on, let it run a bit on battery power and make sure it holds a decent charge etc.

honkymcgoo on
    I didn't even know what the fuck and avitar was until about 5 minutes ago.