As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pander On]: Worst examples of advertisement (G&T Related)

Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
So about two days ago I was flipping through my latest issue of Wired whilst in the bathroom and I came across the following ad (by the way I am eliminating the product name and URL from the quote because they can go fuck themselves):
Meet W1zardF1ngers. Gamer. Hacker. Boy wonder of the underworld. He had it all. But his cyber joyride came to a sudden end. Pwned like a n00b in a first person shooter, it was game over. People everywhere began switching to {product here} because it protects them from online threats without slowing their PC's to a crawl. No longer the sorcerer of the cyber-citadel, W1zardF1ngers is just another bum on bus #3. Where can he turn? Visit {URL here} to help him get the magic back into his life.

Ok seriously, when I read this shit my fucking jaw hit the floor. What marketing genious came up with "Pwned like a n00b in a first person shooter, it was game over." and thought that it would appeal to someone. Even his name is stupid, I guess he is Fatal1ty's brother. I hope they both take bus #3 straight to fucking hell. On that note I think everytime some jackass spells their name with numbers I'll pronounce the numbers... nice to meet you Fatalonety and WonezardFonengers.

ugg...

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
m1LuFkU.jpg
Greg USN on

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I would reply but John Romero has made me his bitch and I've got to suck it down.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    John Romero is about to make you his bitch.

Suck it down.

EDIT: Damn, ha ha ha.

Ok, how about

This game stinks!

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hive mind hi5 Davoid!

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Hive mind hi5 Davoid!

Hi5

I had it as my MSN name once, and he got so pissed at me, ha ha ha ha.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Another fine example (Sony)

I really don't understand the thought process behind this kind of stuff...
    we started clowning with sum not-so-subtle hints to j's parents that a psp would be teh perfect gift. we created this site to spread the luv to those like j who want a psp! consider us your own personal psp hype machine, here to help you wage a holiday assault on ur parents, girl, granny, boss - whoever - so they know what you really want

Do these adds that exploit "gamer culture" (*vomit*) really work/appeal to people. Are the unwashed masses really swayed buy their products buy being insulted?

Here sony decided to make a borderline raicst add
    sony_screen001.jpg

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bah, this is why I've learned to completely ignore all ads in all forms. Adblock firefox addon works wonders too.

urahonky on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Another fine example (Sony)

I really don't understand the thought process behind this kind of stuff...
    we started clowning with sum not-so-subtle hints to j's parents that a psp would be teh perfect gift. we created this site to spread the luv to those like j who want a psp! consider us your own personal psp hype machine, here to help you wage a holiday assault on ur parents, girl, granny, boss - whoever - so they know what you really want

Do these adds that exploit "gamer culture" (*vomit*) really work/appeal to people. Are the unwashed masses really swayed buy their products buy being insulted?

sony_screen001.jpg

I dont know, that add makes me think of orgasms instead of racism.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hello members of Games and Technology I am conducting some 4wesum r3search and wonder what kind of funky fresh subject material might appeal to the l33t gamer5 of the world???

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Let's go ahead and get this out of the way.

EVERY U.S. PSP ad. From those borderline racist squirrels/dust bunnies/etc. to those "Dude, Get Your Own" which makes people who like PSPs look like total douchebags.

Those stupid PS3 launch ads where you're supposed to want to buy the system because it animates creepy baby dolls and makes Rubiks Cubes explode.

Anyone remember those European PS3 ads that consist entirely of weird artsy Circque de Soleil stuff?

Yeah. Thank god the main U.S. PS3 ads have gotten better.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

EVERY U.S. PSP ad. From those borderline racist squirrels/dust bunnies/etc. to those "Dude, Get Your Own" which makes people who like PSPs look like total douchebags.

Those stupid PS3 launch ads where you're supposed to want to buy the system because it animates creepy baby dolls and makes Rubiks Cubes explode.

Anyone remember those European PS3 ads that consist entirely of weird artsy Circque de Soleil stuff?

I don't remember any racist PSP ads. Maybe I'm too racist.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    PatboyX wrote: »

Well duh. Especially with a name like that.

*cough*

urahonky on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So about two days ago I was flipping through my latest issue of Wired whilst in the bathroom and I came across the following ad (by the way I am eliminating the product name and URL from the quote because they can go fuck themselves):
    Meet W1zardF1ngers. Gamer. Hacker. Boy wonder of the underworld. He had it all. But his cyber joyride came to a sudden end. Pwned like a n00b in a first person shooter, it was game over. People everywhere began switching to {product here} because it protects them from online threats without slowing their PC's to a crawl. No longer the sorcerer of the cyber-citadel, W1zardF1ngers is just another bum on bus #3. Where can he turn? Visit {URL here} to help him get the magic back into his life.

Ok seriously, when I read this shit my fucking jaw hit the floor. What marketing genious came up with "Pwned like a n00b in a first person shooter, it was game over." and thought that it would appeal to someone. Even his name is stupid, I guess he is Fatal1ty's brother. I hope they both take bus #3 straight to fucking hell. On that note I think everytime some jackass spells their name with numbers I'll pronounce the numbers... nice to meet you Fatalonety and WonezardFonengers.

ugg...

Haha, I read this in GI and immediately vomited. The picture of the guy on the bench was hilarious too.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

060410.jpg

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

060410.jpg

Well the corrisponding VG Cats strip is nice, but what was the actual adverts.. were they print or video?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    darkmayo wrote: »

Well the corrisponding VG Cats strip is nice, but what was the actual adverts.. were they print or video?

Video. They were two squirrel things that spoke to each other in incredibly racist mexican accents about how PSPs are like carpet that you can watch outside.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »

Video. They were two squirrel things that spoke to each other in incredibly racist mexican accents about how PSPs are like carpet that you can watch outside.

And they talked almost exactly like the dialog in the strip.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So that's where Nocren got his avatar.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    elevature on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I actually don't know that I've ever seen the ads in question.

The only one I've seen is the white chick up here showing off her belly.
    Which may be racist...but I really do enjoy bellies.

edit: oh, there they are. yeah. they seem pretty minstrel show.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    sony_screen001.jpg

I will never understand how that image made it into a marketing campaign. I'm sure it wasn't intended to be racists but, good lord, anyone could tell you that someone would take it as being racist. The white one even looks like she is examining the black ones teeth, a common practice for slave holders to determine how healthy the potential slave is.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So that's where Nocren got his avatar.

I thought I was the ONLY one to think that. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I fucking love portable nut!

Anyway, those old gameshark ads are pretty bad.

So is the ad for something Dungeon.

Shows some dominatrix woman whipping some guy.

JJ on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ha, I didn't get what was up with the psp white one at first either

THOSE BLACK DUDES ARE GOOD AT CAMOFLAUGE

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is the reason I think there's still some sort of 'gaming' stigma as you get older. I was playing Halo the other night on XBL with some guys from work while my girlfriend was doing a paper. She jokingly made some comment when I was yelling about the flag location about how I was a nerd. It was fine, cute, nothing bad.

But the second we hit the lobby and people start talking with thier 'noob' and 'pwned' it really just got embarassing for me. It's stupid, and the fact that ads like those promote that attitude as the MAJORITY of gamers is off putting.

Anytime we're at the store now she asks me if I need to "pick up some gamerfuel" because of those Moutain Dew commercials. Than I remind her she loves the Wii and maybe SHE should be the one getting Gamerfuel. Zing!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ed5AX_bX7r4

I actually have this on VHS at my house.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Hello members of Games and Technology I am conducting some 4wesum r3search and wonder what kind of funky fresh subject material might appeal to the l33t gamer5 of the world???

actually no. Not unless my command here needs market research.
    Pro-Tip: they don't

I was just trying to spark a discussion based on a shitty add that I saw in my Mag. Sorry if I offended you.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Since we're on Sony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. For shame, G&T!

King of Mars on
    Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

I was just trying to spark a discussion based on a shitty add that I saw in my Mag. Sorry if I offended you.

Ahh, sorry, was afraid it'd be taken that way. I didn't mean that as an attack on you, just figured I'd try some market research speak. Apologies!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Since we're on Sony:

Oh god.

OH GOD.

I thought I successfully repressed that from my brain. Now it's back. Damn you!

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Since we're on Sony:

Oh god.

OH GOD.

Is that the hellspawn baby one?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Anytime we're at the store now she asks me if I need to "pick up some gamerfuel" because of those Moutain Dew commercials. Than I remind her she loves the Wii and maybe SHE should be the one getting Gamerfuel. Zing!

That actually made me laugh out loud. I think anytime the words "Gamer" and "Fuel" are in the same word its comedy gold.

I am particularly disutrbed how 'pwned' is actually considered a real word by people. "Owned" itself is pretty stupid, but to accept a mispelling/typo as a real word... then place it in your ads... guhhh.

I was just thinking about this and demographic pandering is not only limited to video games. For instance, have you ever seen the McDonalds ads targeted at African Americans? Shit... If I was black I would seriously be pissed off to see my entire racial classification sumed up as:
    'oooooooo daaaamn! Keezey gotta job at mikkey-dees fooo!'
    'Tru-dat! lets roll outta da flippity floppity floo and eats sum burgers!'

Back to videogames though. I though the first round of X360 ads were shit. But then again I will never understand ads that don't show the product.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Since we're on Sony:

Oh god.

OH GOD.

If by that you mean the "all I want for Christmas" rap, then yes.

*shudder*

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Most Sony adverts are awful with the exception of that one they had with that Saliva song DO YOU WANT IT? UHN DO YOU NEED IT? etc etc... great commerical.

Not really an advertisment, but a marketing tool nontheless: I hate how Microsoft attaches the word "Gamer" to everything. I feel like I need to put on my offical GAMERSOCKS and GAMERHAT when I load up my GAMERTAG and oh look at my GAMERPICTURE and oh shit what about my GAMERUNDERWEAR while chugging some GAMERFUEL when playing the 360. Its fucking lame.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Since we're on Sony:

Oh god.

OH GOD.

All I want for X-mas is a PSP.

Also this is the best ad ever'

Other than the original SSB and that one other I always forget.

Khavall on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think if every game ad were made like this, game sales would go up tenfold.
    "It'll bust your crank, and leave skid marks on your soul."

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ok I’ll be honest. I find those squirrel PSP ads kind of funny. Yeah, yeah I know.

What the hell was Sony possibly thinking with that white is coming PSP add? How could that have been approved? It makes me cringe and D: every time I see it. It's incredibly offensive. Gah.

Also I have that Diddy Kong Racing video and about five other ones from the N64. They sent them out to Nintendo Power subscribers. I remember having Banjo Kazooie, Top Gear Rally, Perfect Dark and a few others. They are, in fact, awesome.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    While not precisely video game related, every single advertisement for any sort of instant messaging product makes me want to cry.

kgr8cyal8r

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Most Sony adverts are awful with the exception of that one they had with that Saliva song DO YOU WANT IT? UHN DO YOU NEED IT? etc etc... great commerical.

Not really an advertisment, but a marketing tool nontheless: I hate how Microsoft attaches the word "Gamer" to everything. I feel like I need to put on my offical GAMERSOCKS and GAMERHAT when I load up my GAMERTAG and oh look at my GAMERPICTURE and oh shit what about my GAMERUNDERWEAR while chugging some GAMERFUEL when playing the 360. Its fucking lame.

God that Saliva song is like the most obnoxious song. And no, I do not need it.

And actually... I love GameFuel. It's mainly because I'm a Mountain Dew whore though.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Ahh, sorry, was afraid it'd be taken that way. I didn't mean that as an attack on you, just figured I'd try some market research speak. Apologies!

No harm no foul. =)

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You know I think sony did it right with FFVII: Crisis Core. Show some sweet FMV with music. Although it could be misleading to the un-informed. At least they used Game Assets and no stupid gimicks.

Also the Army of Two advert was kind of cool as well as the assassian's creed ones.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg