As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dual-screening with a Cintiq? (help)

DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
Hi guys, I figured this place was more suited than H/A for my question since it's regarding technology:

Basically, I've got a monitor and a 20" Cintiq tablet, and I want to dual-screen. My other monitor is an old 17" 4/3 CRT monitor and my tablet is a 20" 16/10 screen. However, while I'm sufficiently knowledgeable about most things computer-related, I am a total noob in the dual-screening topic. I know I have to have the right video card to do it (I got a PCI express port), so here's what I want to know basically:

- What videocard is good enough to play games and dual-screen (right now I got an ATI Radeon X1600 pro, I'd like something at least equal or better than this (ideally better, I don't think that's gonna be hard to find))?
- Will the Cintiq still work the way it works now (pen hits screen, position is absolute) even when dual-screening (that's what I'd like it to do, obviously)?
- How do I choose what screen I want games that go Fullscreen (say, Guild Wars) on?
- I have a 12x9 Intuos, can I force it to only pick up the old monitor (since the Cintiq is its own tablet)?
- Can I put my tools (say, in Photoshop) on the smaller monitor and use my Cintiq as a pure drawing zone?
- What else should I know?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have another small question to people who own a Cintiq: Is it better to let a screensaver run on it as if it were a normal screen or to turn it off and on? I thought that always switching the power of something was more damageable on the a monitor, but I don't know how the tablet reacts.

Djiem on

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    - What videocard is good enough to play games and dual-screen (right now I got an ATI Radeon X1600 pro, I'd like something at least equal or better than this (ideally better, I don't think that's gonna be hard to find))?

Usually you won't be able to access the other screen while playing fullscreen games. The performance also depends on the games you play :P - I don't notice much loss in performance while having two screens connected. The Geforce 8500GT or the 9600GT is a good choice if you want gaming performance without having to sell your soul or limbs. :P
    - Will the Cintiq still work the way it works now (pen hits screen, position is absolute) even when dual-screening (that's what I'd like it to do, obviously)?

Wacom claims it is working in a multiple screen environment. Its a very professional (and I can imagine expensive) tool and Wacom has a very good reputation.
    - How do I choose what screen I want games that go Fullscreen (say, Guild Wars) on?

Depends, games or 3D apps chose to use the display which is set as primary display for full screen mode. Other apps (VLC) let you chose the screen, or use the screen for fullscreen mode where their primary window is located.
    I am sure there are 3rd party tools which give you more options or which can be used to "bend" these rules. Some games also support dualscreen - for example in an RTS you could have the map open in one Screen while the action is taking place on your second screen - although you need a pretty powerfull graphic card for something like this.
    - I have a 12x9 Intuos, can I force it to only pick up the old monitor (since the Cintiq is its own tablet)?

Wacom driver lets you pic the screen which is used for a tablet. - at least it does in OSX. But I can't say if it interferes with your Cintiq, or if this is supported iin Windows. I think it is, because thats pretty much a killing factor in "pro environments".
    - Can I put my tools (say, in Photoshop) on the smaller monitor and use my Cintiq as a pure drawing zone?

Usually you can position your toolbars where you want - if the application lets you. Some application let you move the toolbar only within their main Window in the Windows OS. Well, unless you stretch the app across the "border of the screen" you are screwed here. Also remember Tablets usually work only in the boundaries of the assigned screen.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for all these infos. I guess what I'm gonna do is find a good videocard, install it, and just mess around to test what you've told me. That'd be the best way.

Djiem on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    1. My 8800GT 512mb runs most new games at high or max with two monitors, but it costs quite a bit ($200+?).

2. All applications default to the primary monitor, but anything that can be set to windowed mode can be moved freely between the two. Games will also always run on the primary monitor, but you can run the game windowed and put it on the second. I'm not sure if you can run the game windowed, put it on the second, and then maximize the game and still have it on the second monitor.

3. You can set your tablet to only one monitor, just make sure you install the latest driver.

4. Yeah, you can.

5. Buy Ultramon. I can't live without it.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, I'll be looking into these cards. Thanks again.

EDIT: I just realised my actual card can do dual-screening (I'm still getting a better one though) and I gotta say: Ultramon is the best thing ever. :D

Djiem on