Options

iPod Classic? Sounds classy.

ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my little brother is USMC Infantry, and his 80 gig iPod Classic broke shortly before deployment so he left it with me because he couldn't get to an Apple Store for repairs and honestly doesn't really care about it anyway because he has a laptop now. I determined that the hard-disk was shot. I took it in, they fucked around with it for like ten minutes then gave me a new one. Spiffy! But what exactly can it do? It synced with my iTunes magically and with the quickness, so I've figured out the music bit, but it claims to also do video. Is it picky about formats? What else can it do? I'm hoping for majiks, but more than content with "play music".

Edit: Oh and as usual if all you're interested in contributing are the equivalent of "M$" jokes, you will face my fiery wrath.

ViolentChemistry on

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, my little brother is USMC Infantry, and his 80 gig iPod Classic broke shortly before deployment so he left it with me because he couldn't get to an Apple Store for repairs and honestly doesn't really care about it anyway because he has a laptop now. I determined that the hard-disk was shot. I took it in, they fucked around with it for like ten minutes then gave me a new one. Spiffy! But what exactly can it do? It synced with my iTunes magically and with the quickness, so I've figured out the music bit, but it claims to also do video. Is it picky about formats? What else can it do? I'm hoping for majiks, but more than content with "play music".

Edit: Oh and as usual if all you're interested in contributing are the equivalent of "M$" jokes, you will face my fiery wrath.

I think anything iTunes can do an iPod can do. So if you want to move a video over, try playing it in iTunes. If it works, woo!

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You can also get some games for it.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    jeevesjeeves Registered User new member
    edited April 2008
    Not necessarily so. It's REALLY picky about video formats and really only plays videos that are in the form that the itunes store has. I think there are some freeware converters you can find on google or download.com or something.

jeeves on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Buy Phase. It's essentially iPod Hero.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I find the best video format for importing into iTunes is .mp4. Grab a free converter (I use AnyVideo) and turn whatever stuff you've got into .mp4s of your preferred resolution and import them. Then you can use whatever music/video management scheme you use (sync or manual) to slap them on your iPod Classic. You will find imported video ends up in the Movies area.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It supports AAC, MP3, VBR, WAV and all Apple-related audio formats. As for video, it supports MPEG-4, M4V, MP4 and MOV files. More often than not, you'll need to convert the files to be able to watch them on your iPod as there are a few restrictions placed on video playback in terms of bitrate, framerate and resolution.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    EnkiEnki Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    not sure about the video portion, since I'd rather have more music on my iPod video than a couple videos, but my brother uses something called Videora iPod converter. Not sure where to get it, or it's quality, but it works for him.

Enki on
    ~vote yes for scrubdiddlies~