As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

electrical wiring (or how not to blow shit up)

chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have made two seperate attempts at replacing a broken exit sign, both of which ended up with the bulbs exploding when the breaker was turned back on. I can verify that I have not wired it backwards and that it is grounded (I think). What could make it explode? Could the voltage be different? The exit sign(s) I bought were 110, I just assumed that it was standard.

The lines coming out of the ceiling are orange and white, as opposed to black and white, if that makes a difference.

chamberlain on

• Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Exit signs have bulbs, or are they LEDs? Is it pretty simple or does it have a ballast?

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It has two bulbs, no ballast. The instructions have it hooking directly to a 110v line.

I read them, honest! Of course that doesn't mean I know what I am doing. Stupid broad job description...

chamberlain on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Illuminated exit signs often fall under fire code and should be installed or inspected by a licensed electrician.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'd love to.

Tell my boss that. Please.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There different, higher wattages you could buy?

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What was originally hooked up to the wires in the ceiling?

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Uh, yes, check the voltage. The hot wire shouldn't be orange (unless it's the high leg of a center-tapped three phase line, or someone didn't wire the place to code).

Edit: Don't start a fire and/or hurt yourself, please.

Fats on
  • Options
    MushiwulfMushiwulf Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is in a commercial building? There is some possibility of it being a different voltage for sure. It could be 250v or even 277v. What happened to the old sign? It would probably indicate what voltage was being used. Otherwise, you will need a voltage tester or a licensed electrician.

Mushiwulf on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sounds like youve hooked into the 220/240 main instead of the 110 lines. Mebbe use a voltmeter? Color codes are just a guide, the reality is in an older building it doesn't mean jack. Some guy could have made a patch with whatever he found nearby.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd love to.

Tell my boss that. Please.

um, tell him it's against the law to do it otherwise, and that you'll report him if he doesn't.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Looked at the old light again (which broke off of the ceiling to begin with). Found a flag on the leads that were hooked up, "Orange Lead, 277v."

Apparently, I am lucky that all it did was blow up the bulbs.

Not much else I can do. Call a pro it is.

Lock away, if need be.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    MushiwulfMushiwulf Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, at this point, you have all the info you need to do it yourself. But, you should still use an electrician.

Mushiwulf on