As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

420, Politics and Idiots

• Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MrMister wrote: »
    Speaker wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that cheek piercings were an obvious sign of someone's background. It's probably because I don't buy the blurring of the line you are trying to produce between someone with black skin or an accent and a middle class kid who chooses to appear a certain way.

The lines are blurry. What about the inner city kid who dresses like all his friends? Should we ignore him as well?

Really, I'm curious to know what about not appearing in a suit, or having a piercing, or having dyed hair, is so offensive that it warrants dismissal from public discourse.

Is it offensive, or does it simply communicate a rejection of mainstream society?

Wouldn't it be a tad ironic for someone to dress to communicate a disregard for social convention, and then demand all the advantages of social convention?

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I dunno. Piercings in random places that look painful and to me pretty ugly are generally signs of what someone is going to be like. I assume that she is an idiot because that looks like an idiotic place to get a piercing.

Next up: women in heels no longer to be listened to. Those things hurt, are impossible to be active in, and can do unfortunate things to your tendons. What taardvarks women can be.

Not even the olympic bobsled team could ride that slippery slope to victory.

Speaker on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Most of them probably are for legalizeation of it, but not for reasons other than "zomgosh legalize weed cuz I want to smoke it"
    And? That's the primary reason I want it legalized. It's got some nifty medical uses too but I would much rather just have a better alternative to alcohol.

Im just saying its not some high and mighty lets go protest this injustice thing. Its just I "want me some weed".
    Er, different people care about different things. And it's a ban that puts thousands in prison with convicted murderers for having the audacity to use/sell a safer drug than what the government allows so I'd say it's rather protest worthy.

I agree that it is protest worthy and there is nothing wrong with people just showing up because you want to not be arrested when you smoke weed. I just doubt many people are there for the protest. If it was "lets go have a march about legalizing weed" but they weren't smoking a bunch of it there, I doubt 10% of those people would have showed up.

I was rebutting someone who made it seem like it was them doing somthing altruistic.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I dunno. Piercings in random places that look painful and to me pretty ugly are generally signs of what someone is going to be like. I assume that she is an idiot because that looks like an idiotic place to get a piercing.
    Well now you're just being ridiculous and judgemental.

Tell me you don't assume things about people by the way they look.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Of course I do. But I make certain to let it affect my actual judgement of them as little as possible. To say nothing of the fact that I don't see a body decoration that was possibly painful to get as idiotic in any way. People care more about different things and exist and live within cultures with different values. That doesn't make them idiotic, it makes them different. I've yet to see a culture that ran on pure logic anyway.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Of course I do. But I make certain to let it affect my actual judgement of them as little as possible.

As do I. It would just be easier for them to get their point across if my preconception was a positive one.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Perhaps you should work on your preconceptions.

Quid on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Of course I do. But I make certain to let it affect my actual judgement of them as little as possible. To say nothing of the fact that I don't see a body decoration that was possibly painful to get as idiotic in any way. People care more about different things and exist and live within cultures with different values. That doesn't make them idiotic, it makes them different. I've yet to see a culture that ran on pure logic anyway.

So if the public-defender showed up looking like that for a criminal trial you don't think it would affect the outcome.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Perhaps. Since they are trying to change things they should adjust the presentation of their message, which they control, rather than expect my preconceptions to change.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Speaking like a white-collar professional is probably the more difficult part of the equation, and it's substantially more difficult if that's not your native dialect of English. I was raised using the received pronunciation and diction of academic and business English, which makes it much easier for me to present arguments in a way that seems learned and respectable. However, yes, even the clothes are a barrier of entry. To someone without much money, a suit can be quite expensive, and appearing in shabby or ill-fitting clothes makes the speaker seem less respectable. This is especially true if the person doesn't have a regular occasion to wear a suit, and would have to invest in the outfit specifically for the occasion.

This is, of course, more topical to the situation of the poor than it is to college students who want more weed. However, it is a counterpoint to the idea that we should only respect messages that come to us in the language and attire of the privileged.

In this case, I would ask why a person should be forced to take out their piercings to be heard. It's stupid to dismiss people based entirely on the fact that they have a certain manner of dress, just as it would be stupid to dismiss a person for speaking with a particular accent or for otherwise displaying an obvious marker of their background.
    Attempting to present a serious appearance shows respect for your audience. You don't have to take out your piercings for me to take you seriously; I, personally, don't really give a shit about piercings. However, society as a whole feels differently. There are people who won't take me seriously because I'm fat, or people who won't take you seriously because you're male. Is it fair? No. It's just how it is. And changing the things we have control over in order to show respect for your audience is just part of presenting your argument. Would I expect someone to take my arguments seriously when the first thing I do is walk up to them, shout "FUCK YOU!" as loudly as I can in their face, and then begin to engage in a rational discourse? I don't see why I should. And to a lot of people, piercings and a lack of serious attire are basically shouting that before you even open your mouth.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Perhaps. Since they are trying to change things they should adjust the presentation of their message, which they control, rather than expect my preconceptions to change.
    How dare they ask you not to immediately think they're idiots because they have the gall to get a facial piercing.

How dare they?

Quid on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    There are people who won't take me seriously because I'm fat, or people who won't take you seriously because you're male. Is it fair? No. It's just how it is.

And those people, much like the people in this thread, should be shamed.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

How dare they ask you not to immediately think they're idiots because they have the gall to get a facial piercing.

How dare they?

Abloo bloo bloo, those poor oppressed pot-heads. Won't somebody think of the pot-heads?! *sob*

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    There are people who won't take me seriously because I'm fat, or people who won't take you seriously because you're male. Is it fair? No. It's just how it is.

If that ideal is more important to you than the cause of legalizing marijuana it would be nice of you to go protest it separately because team-killers suck.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm rather against public shaming as a teaching tool.

It makes me cutting edge in a totally 1920's way.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

How dare they?

well, its not facial piercings in general, that one just looks dumb.

Also, what Thantos, speaker, and VC said.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I'm not asking for all of society to stop being judgemental pricks, I'm asking you to stop.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I'm not asking for all of society to stop being judgemental pricks, I'm asking you to stop.

But that piercing really, really, looks bad.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Please tell me no one actually believes these protests wouldn't have a more positive impact if they had all showed up per federal-employee dress-code.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Suck it up? Yeah, suck it up. It's fucking petty.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Suck it up? Yeah, suck it up. It's fucking petty.

Ill judge people if I want. :.P

How you dress does say somthing about you.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It does. But only so much. And is completely useless in finding out anything meaningful in the majority of situations.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It does. But only so much. And is completely useless in finding out anything meaningful in the majority of situations.

However in the context of showing up to what is supposed to be a persuasive public-assembly it tells me that you're not actually that keen on swaying anyone.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    Please tell me no one actually believes these protests wouldn't have a more positive impact if they had all showed up per federal-employee dress-code.

Hell, I think it would make for a bonus news story if the people at one of these hippie smoke-ins were actually not dressed like hippies and totally fucked up on pot.

"A bunch of stereotypical stoner hippies show up to get high"

vs

"A bunch of white-collar professionals who happen to smoke pot show up and soberly fight for legalization."

I'd dare say the latter has not ever happened in the history of the universe.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I smoke it because it's great and if you're smart about it you won't ever really get in trouble.
    Seriously, the only people who get caught deserved to get caught.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Hell, I think it would make for a bonus news story if the people at one of these hippie smoke-ins were actually not dressed like hippies and totally fucked up on pot.

vs

"A bunch of white-collar professionals who happen to smoke pot show up and soberly fight for legalization."

Not with pot, no. Other protests petitioning for rights from the government have had a fair bit of success with controlling their presentation of themselves to maximize influence.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I smoke it because it's great and if you're smart about it you won't ever really get in trouble.

So you oppose legalization. Why?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

vs

I was just about to come in and say something like this.

A bunch of stoners holding a smoke-in on their little druggie holiday doesn't mean anything to anyone.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Take that Black People.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I'm not opposed, but it's not like it's going to stop people from doing it regardless of legality. What I'm saying is if you're going to break the law, at least be smart about it.
    Insofar as legalization, I think that it's something that'd take years, probably decades to ever happen in the states. There'd have to be heavy tests on it, most likely done by the FDA, and it'd be heavily regulated (at the very least like alcohol). Probably will make it similar to Amsterdam with Hash Bars and in home being the only legal places to smoke it.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I dont think that is what he was saying.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I dont think that is what he was saying.

I don't think it's what he meant to say, but it's exactly what he's saying. As far as I'm concerned no one deserves to go to jail for smoking pot, that's fucking ridiculous.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I'm not opposed, but it's not like it's going to stop people from doing it regardless of legality. What I'm saying is if you're going to break the law, at least be smart about it.
    Insofar as legalization, I think that it's something that'd take years, probably decades to ever happen in the states. There'd have to be heavy tests on it, most likely done by the FDA, and it'd be heavily regulated (at the very least like alcohol). Probably will make it similar to Amsterdam with Hash Bars and in home being the only legal places to smoke it.

The FDA has already approved Marijuanna for medical use. I don't see why they'd have to go throughyears of testing again.

Seriously, the only reason that there should NEED to be, right now, is that by legalizingit, you include it officiallyin the national economy. Drugs are a thing that tend to sell more when times are worse, so it would even help to offset the recession some tiny bit.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I agree that pot is harmless, like alcohol is harmless. If regulated, it wouldn't be any worse than drinking a bottle of Jack.
    What I AM saying is that right now, if you get caught smoking, it's your own damn fault, because it's not hard to hide it at all. Don't drive high, don't do it in public, and make sure your dealer isn't a RETARD and you'll be fine. Yeah, it's a few hoops to jump through, but if we keep it up... well, look at the prohibition back in the 20's.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

But you can't shame them, it's part of who they are! How dare you judge them!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

How would that make a drum circle protest more effective at its stated goal, whatever that may be?

Potheads, hippies, &c. protesting for the legalisation fo marijuana are free to be ineffective homps. We are free to call them ineffective homps. Yay, freedom!

moniker on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    Not with pot, no. Other protests petitioning for rights from the government have had a fair bit of success with controlling their presentation of themselves to maximize influence.

I don't disagree.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    A whole lot of professionals and white-collar workers smoke pot on weekends. Where the fuck were they for this thing? Why didn't they throw their lot in with the rabble that showed up here?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A whole lot of professionals and white-collar workers smoke pot on weekends. Where the fuck were they for this thing? Why didn't they throw their lot in with the rabble that showed up here?
    I don't know about the rest of them (well, I don't actually smoke pot, I just support legalization), but I was registering Obama voters.

You know, doing something that might actually effect some change.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't know about the rest of them (well, I don't actually smoke pot, I just support legalization), but I was registering Obama voters.

You know, doing something that might actually effect some change.

That's basically what I was trying to suggest. These people strike me as shiftless layabouts because that's their idea of trying to change their lot in life, not because their dress is consistent with shiftless layabouts.

Wonder_Hippie on