As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recycled PC ideas...

prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I got a second PC up and running, it's an old Pentium 4, with 512mb RAM and a measly 30gb HDD.

I'm currently using it to play Diablo 2 and do general interweb browsing, but looking to do a little more with it.

I'm interested in having it as an XP/Linux machine. I read somewhere that there's an Ubuntu distro which you can install from Windows without having to fiddle with partitions etc too much...is that true?

Will the HDD be big enough?

Any other ideas would be good too.

Thanks.

Bana84.png
prawnstar69 on

• Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The latest Ubuntu distro (out on the 27th if memory serves, but RC images are available now) has the install-to-Windows function. It should fit on your 30GB disk, at least, so I think.

That said, I'd honestly just go for a full install on that machine. You already have your main desktop running (or so I assume from the way you worded your post), and web browsing / D2 should work fine under Ubuntu (the latter with a bit of tweaking, but nevertheless).

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    How well do games work from Linux? I'm assuming Ubuntu would "emulate" windows in some way in order to run games...

I might not need XP on here at all then...

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wine is the tool by which Windows compatibility is achieved under Linux. Diablo 2, being an older game, runs well under Wine (or so the Wine AppDB tells us). Newer games and hardware, naturally, are more hit-or-miss, but an older game on old hardware should be no problem.

Wine can be complicated stuff, but there's a multitude of guides and utilities to make the process of Windows-apps-under-Linux-via-Wine less painful.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    Eat_FireEat_Fire Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You will have to partition the hard drive for installing Ubuntu It will require a partition for its root directory and then a smaller swap file partition the swap file needs to be something like 500mb to 1gb if I remember. Ubuntu is fairly painless to setup, it can automaticly resize your main partition without formatting and create the new partitions.

Eat_Fire on
    -Updating life to SP1-
  • Options
    typhoontyphoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

typhoon on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Diablo 2 has a bit of a graphics issue in Wine, but its nothing terrible, just make sure your settings and driver and stuff are set right (all info is on the ubuntu boards) and you're good to go.

Hmm now I wanna play diablo 2 heh.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I found a distro called Wubu (or something like that) which is supposed to be Ubuntu but installable under Windows. However, the PC only has 256mb RAM (even less with shared memory on the GPU), not 512 so Wubu didn't play.

I'll try a proper installation of Ubuntu.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png