As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phishing just went meta

laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Social Entropy++
My E-Mail wrote:
Anti-Terrorist and Monitory Crimes Division.

Federal Bureau Of Investigation.

J. Edgar. Hoover Building Washington D.C

Attn: Beneficiary,

This is to Officially inform you that it has come to our notice and we have thoroughly Investigated by the help of our Intelligence Monitoring Network System that you are having an illegal Transaction with Imposters claiming to be Prof. Charles C. Soludo of the Central Bank Of Nigeria, Mr. Patrick Aziza, Mr Frank Nweke, none officials of Oceanic Bank, none officials of Zenith Bank and imposter claiming to be the Federal Bureau Of Investigation. During our Investigation, it came to our notice that the reason why you have not received your payment is because you have not fulfill your Financial Obligation giving to you in respect of your Contract/Inheritance Payment.

So therefore, we have contacted the Federal Ministry Of Finance on your behalf and they have brought a solution to your problem by arranging your payment in total of US$800,000.00 in an ATM CARD which you will use to withdraw money in anywhere of the world. You now have the lawful right to claim your fund in the ATM CARD.

Since the Federal Bureau of Investigation is involved in this transaction, all you did have to do is to be rest assured for this is 100% risk free because it is our right to make sure that you receive your ATM CARD. All I did want you to do is proceed and contact the ATM CARD CENTER via email for their requirements to proceed and procure your Approval Slip on your behalf which will cost you $150.00 only and note that your Approval Slip contains details of your PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (PIN) which you will use in activating your ATM CARD in any ATM MACHINE.

Do contact Mr. Paul Smith of the ATM CARD CENTRE with your full name, home address, mobile telephone number, home telephone number or work telephone number and bank name so your files would be updated after which he will send the payment informations to you which you will use in making payment of $150.00 via Western Union Money Transfer or Money Gram for the procurement of your Approval Slip after which the delivery of your ATM CARD will be effected to your designated home address without any further delay.

Name : MR PAUL SMITH

Email Address : paulsmith.01@live.com

We order you get back to this office after you open contact with the ATM SWIFT CARD CENTRE and we do await your response so we can move on with our Investigation and make sure your ATM SWIFT CARD gets to you.

Thanks and hope to read from you soon.

FBI Director

Mr.Paul Smith

Note: Do disregard any email you get from any imposter or office claiming to be in possesion of your ATM CARD, you are adviced only to be in contact with Mr. Paul Smith of the ATM CARD CENTRE who is the rightful person you are suppose to deal with in regards your ATM CARD PAYMENT and forward any email you get from imposters to this office so we could act upon and commence investigation

FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION ATM CARD PAYMENT
Federal Bureau Of Investigation

laughingfuzzball on

• Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    man you'd think someday they would figure out how to fix their grammar and spelling

it would take like 5 minutes

redhead on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You'd think, but you'd be wrong.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    everything's about technology and computers and junk around here

when was the last time we had a thread about fishing

you know i caught a few flatheads the other month and they were pretty small (technically i guess you'd call them 'babies') but oh boy if it wasn't a battle

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was looking at little rowboats the other day. I'd love to go out on the river here at some point.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    BogdanichBogdanich Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hey, yeah, looking forward to the weather warming up. two years ago I caught this prehistoric-looking fish, god that thing was a freak

last year my friend and I kept reeling in these vegetable pods from beyond the stars

Bogdanich on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bogdanich wrote: »
    hey, yeah, looking forward to the weather warming up. two years ago I caught this prehistoric-looking fish, god that thing was a freak

last year my friend and I kept reeling in these vegatable pods from beyond the stars

Why is the girl in your sig wearing camo paint?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well that's just retarded. Paul Smith isn't the director of the FBI, Robert Mueller is.

Some secretary at the FBI is going to get canned for this faux pas for sure.

Pretty cool you'll be getting all that money though, you lucky bastard.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dude, meta-fish are the worst.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
  • Options
    BogdanichBogdanich Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »

last year my friend and I kept reeling in these vegetable pods from beyond the stars

she is actually in the swedish army, as far as I know or can remember.

Bogdanich on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Someone get Veretas' mom to try this out.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »

she is actually in the swedish army, as far as I know or can remember.

We either need to join the swedish army or declare war on them and just use tranqs

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    It's hilarious that in trying to sound more official and authoritative to increase the response rate, they've just made it more obvious that it's a scam. I mean, at least before it was plausible that the english would be so poor because the person contacting you is Nigerian.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think you are placing too much faith in our government.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Your statement would make a modicum of sense if you had said I was placing too much faith in our citizens

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    redhead wrote: »
    man you'd think someday they would figure out how to fix their grammar and spelling

it would take like 5 minutes
    How many scam artists do you think have copy-editors?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    God damn, now Micro$oft is such a part of the bank systems that they don't even have their own email accounts just @live accounts. So much bullshit!
    If you can't tell thats sarcasm, please kill yourself

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    Your statement would make a modicum of sense if you had said I was placing too much faith in our citizens

That as well.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ministry?

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    Some_JerkSome_Jerk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Your faith in your friends is your weakness.

Some_Jerk on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe, and from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip-malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moments lost in time; gone like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die.
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jerk, you should alter your sig so that it more closely matches Roy's monologue.

edit: Oh, apparently it's from something. Nevermind. They should fix it so it more closely matches.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's from Harvey Birdman.

Some_Jerk on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe, and from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip-malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moments lost in time; gone like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die.
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    all you did have to do is to be rest assured

That would kill an English teacher.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Back what what when I were a senator.

Some_Jerk on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Some_Jerk wrote: »
    Your faith in your friends is your weakness.

Your overconfidence is yours.

Wait we did this backwards.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    i'm so goddamn tired.

so i went to bed thursday night and got up maybe 7:15am friday vancouver time. i was up all day saying goodbyes to the girlfriend's family and we didn't get on the plane until midnight. we had a direct, 15 hour flight to sydney during which time i had to do a bit of writing, which i did get done - but after that, i slept maybe an hour, at most, just drifting off a bit. we got into sydney at around 8am local time - 6 hours ago - and it's now 2 in the afternoon on sunday.

i'm trying to keep awake so that i can get straight back into a normal sleeping pattern but i don't know, this is harder than it's ever been. i haven't slept for soooo longgg

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So. It seems that we Americans are switching to British spellings of words. Centre not center. Colour not Color. Sweet baby Jesus, how can anyone buy this shit. Shit, I mean, they are doing it because people believe it. I want to know who these people are, and revoke their interweb license. And their driver license, because if they are that stupid to buy this bullshit, they are more than likely too stupid to understand that green means go and red means stop.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    are you alright there spacehog

seem a little flustered

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Spacehog85 wrote: »
    So. It seems that we Americans are switching to British spellings of words. Centre not center. Colour not Color. Sweet baby Jesus, how can anyone buy this shit. Shit, I mean, they are doing it because people believe it. I want to know who these people are, and revoke their interweb license. And their driver license, because if they are that stupid to buy this bullshit, they are more than likely too stupid to understand that green means go and red means stop.
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/25/Nigeria/index.html

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hehehe

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/25/Nigeria/index.html

Yes. Freeze it first so you can beat me to death with it.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    8-)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    harsh, family guy'd

I thought this was a friendlier place

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    oh no zero thinks I'm being a dick again

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wonder how much scammer money I could get if I offered my services as an American English proofreader to the good peoples of Africa and the middle east?

Then-again I could not trust them to pay me so I guess the point is moot.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

FIGHT THE POWOR

WE SPEEK AMERICAN

Brolo on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    oh no zero thinks I'm being a dick again

not really no

not in this case anyway

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

You have to realize that there are a lot of really gullible people out there who believe anything that they read, and sending these emails out to hundreds of thousands of people costs next to nothing, and the payoff of one successful scam is pretty huge.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I wonder how much scammer money I could get if I offered my services as an American English proofreader to the good peoples of Africa and the middle east?

Then-again I could not trust them to pay me so I guess the point is moot.

You realize that this is more or less the backstory of
    50-cent-blood-on-the-sand-20080326053804805.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

You have to realize that there are a lot of really gullible people out there who believe anything that they read, and sending these emails out to hundreds of thousands of people costs next to nothing, and the payoff of one successful scam is pretty huge.

Actually these schemes rarely if ever make money. The people who are actually making money from this shit are the guys who write the software, and sell if off to spammers.

Brolo on