As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New XBLA Board Game Clan gamertag (and XBLA Ticket to Ride discussion)

BrymBrym Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
UPDATE

Due to popular demand, I've created a clan tag for people interested in playing boardgames on Xbox Live. At this point the games we're talking about are Catan and Carcassonne, and Ticket to Ride upon release. If you want to be included, send a friend request to "PABoardGames". Then you can use the "view friends" function to see everyone else who has PABoardGames as a friend. By adding yourself to the list, you are consenting to random invite spam from fellow PA forumers looking for a game.

Back to Ticket to Ride:

On this week's 1up Yours podcast, one of the guests revealed that Ticket to Ride is already available on PartnerNet (the version of Xbox Live that's only accessible with devkits). Hopefully this means the game is coming soon, and we haven't had a thread about it yet. Here goes.

Ticket To Ride

tt_photo8.jpg

Ticket to Ride is a German-style (but American-designed) board game for up to 5 players from Days of Wonder. It won the prestigious Spiel des Jahres when released in 2004 (the same award that both Catan and Carcassonne won when they were released). It is consistently ranked in the top 50 on enthusiast site BoardGameGeek.

The game itself is fairly simple--easier to pick up and play than either Catan or Carcassonne, in my opinion. The object of the game is to score points by claiming rail routes between cities in America and southern Canada. Routes are claimed by playing the appropriate number of matching colored train cards. Longer routes score more points (a 4-length route is worth more than two 2-length routes). Players also get destination cards, which act as missions to connect two distant cities through a series of routes. These cards remain hidden until the end of the game, when they are worth many points if completed (but you lose points if they are not!). On a player's turn, he can choose to draw more colored train cards (either from the deck or from a set of 5 which are always face-up on the table), draw more destination cards, or claim a route by laying down train cards.

The strategy of the game comes in trying to claim your own routes as efficiently as possible while also denying your opponents the ability to complete their destination cards. I have the game and it's a lot of fun. If you liked Catan or Carcassonne, this will be a must-buy.

Brym on

• Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wow, with this and Catan, I am seriously considering getting a 360.

A 400 dollar machine

Which I want because it plays board games.

Hello twenty first century.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008

A 400 dollar machine

Dude, it's worth it. I've spent more time with XBLA games than retail at this point.

Brym on
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Interesting, I'll be sure to check out the demo when it's released. Am I the only one who thought of the Beatles song when I saw the thread title?
    Probably.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Interesting, I'll be sure to check out the demo when it's released. Am I the only one who thought of the Beatles song when I saw the thread title?
    Probably.

Nope I did too.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

A 400 dollar machine

well, The fact that the board games are well done and enjoyable. Uno still gets playtime from a lot of people. Some of the XBLA titles are horrid and others are fantastic. I love carcassone and catan myself. I can easily lose myself in puzzle fighter and puzzle quest. There are really some fantastic XBLA titles available.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wish I knew people to play board games with.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So you say it is better than Catan?

Day one.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Quick question for those that have played the board game. Is it playable with two controllers on the same machine? I know why Catan wasn't, but I think my dad would get a kick out of this and it would be nice to, you know, have local multiplayer like back in the Dark Ages.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The game does feature cards that you have to keep hidden, so they might not have local multiplayer. However, unlike Catan, you only need to be able to see your cards on your own turn. They could implement a button to show/hide cards so you could make people look away when you wanted to check your hand. I doubt that will happen though.

And Scarab, I didn't say better than Catan. The only thing better than Catan is Carcassonne with the Inns and Cathedrals expansion... too bad it doesn't look like that's ever coming to Live.

Brym on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Half of me wants this.

The other half doesn't want to let my frat brother roomie find out about it.

I need a way to hit a button when he comes in to make it look like I'm playing Halo.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I have Catan, Carcassonne, and Lost Cities.

And I can never, ever get an online game of any of them going.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    German board game?
    Interesting... these are always awesome.

Djiem on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

Do we have a XBLA Board Game dummyclantag?

If not, we should.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    So you say it is better than Catan?

Day one.

Nah, not better then Settlers of Catan. Although, it works better online I'd say, since Settlers of Catan works off negotiation, which still works better in person.

A good pick for XBLA though.

shryke on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PMAvers wrote: »

Do we have a XBLA Board Game dummyclantag?

If not, we should.

Add Me! Catan and Carcassossassasone. Should I get twin cities?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Add me to this board game clan as well... I would love to play C&C online.
    Wait, scratch that... my gold account expires in May... nevermind.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Catan usually has people playing online if you choose ranked games. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes for a game to fill up but I usually have no problems in the evening.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I don't have any problems getting ranked games in Catan either. Just played one today, in fact. Carcassonne has been more of a problem though.

Brym on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can never get a Carcassonne game going. I've gotten 2 so far, in several months of trying. I lost both :(.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I haven't played Catan or Carcassonne in ages but they were tons of fun. /goes to play them

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

My 360 just red ringed on me or I would set you up to come play. I like the first two but haven't bought lost cities yet.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    add me to a board game clan, i have both catan and carcasonne (will get ticket to ride day one) played tons of settlers (gamertag is octobot)

Octobot on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is a great game but I'm one of those folks that can't stand playing board games on a console or PC. Me and my buddies tried it with Cataan but we soon got bored of that. It just isn't the same when you can't bribe or physically motivate someone to do a move in your favor. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is a great game but I'm one of those folks that can't stand playing board games on a console or PC. Me and my buddies tried it with Cataan but we soon got bored of that. It just isn't the same when you can't bribe or physically motivate someone to do a move in your favor. :P
    Monopoly will suffer the most in regards to this.

Playing on the console against people you can't see eliminates so much of the mind games involved in board games.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    squirly wrote: »

Playing on the console against people you can't see eliminates so much of the mind games involved in board games.

hahahhahaha. So true. I had some brothers get so competitive with monopoly. It got intense. They actually gambled small stuff to make it worse.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    squirly wrote: »

hahahhahaha. So true. I had some brothers get so competitive with monopoly. It got intense. They actually gambled small stuff to make it worse.

Monopoly might be the most poorly constructed board game ever. It is a righteously good attrition simulator. Real test of someone's stubborness.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is there a PABoardGamers gamertag up? That's a really good idea. I recently had to sell my physical board game collection, so seeing more on XBLA always makes me very happy!

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I actually was talking to some people today about playing some carcassonne (sp?) because I love that board game. I have fun with catan too when I'm spamming their emotes for entertainment value. We really should get a group of us together for a board game night sometime.

Bleh, having a red ringed 360 is annoying though.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wonder which maps the game will run? The European based version is rated higher than the original and there's a Switzerland based expansion which is supposed to be better for two players.

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Monopoly might be the most poorly constructed board game ever. It is a righteously good attrition simulator. Real test of someone's stubborness.

As long as you don't add bullshit special rules then Monopoly is an OK-to-good game.

It's a pity that everyone adds bullshit special rules.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    No, even the baseline rules will end you up with one of two situations.

1. One player has all the good stuff and bankrupts everyone fairly quickly. This is ideal compared to.

2. All players have just a bit of the board. The game will go on and on and on and become the ultimate test of wills. A very boring test of wills.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This will probably make me play the demo, then buy the real board game.

Demo's for board games! Yeay!

I made a thread about Board Games a while back and people recommended Carcossone. I would like to thank those people.

A lot.

Lave II on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you want to check the game out before it hits live, there is already an online version available here.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/index/

You have to register but thats it.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am so all about this its not even funny.

Have we started the Board Game "clan" tag yet? I would love to get some Carcassone/Catan games going.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    BarneyL wrote: »
    I wonder which maps the game will run? The European based version is rated higher than the original and there's a Switzerland based expansion which is supposed to be better for two players.

I'd put my money on the American version being the XBLA version. I have the Europe version at home, and all the city names are in that country's original language. Even a gamer who can find Moscow on a map might not know that in the game it's called "Moskva". Or "Kobenhavn" for Copenhagen. The mass market on XBLA will be much happier connecting Chicago and Detroit.

Brym on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You know, I just realized, I hope this leads to some of the other Days of Wonder games coming out on XBLA too.

I mean, could you imagine the epic win that would be Memoir ‘44 or Battlelore on XBLA?

It would be massive. :D

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No, even the baseline rules will end you up with one of two situations.

1. One player has all the good stuff and bankrupts everyone fairly quickly. This is ideal compared to.

2. All players have just a bit of the board. The game will go on and on and on and become the ultimate test of wills. A very boring test of wills.

I learned a lesson about number 2. Never play with someone and their significant other, because they will ALWAYS team up, turning number 2 into number 1 quickly.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You know, I just realized, I hope this leads to some of the other Days of Wonder games coming out on XBLA too.

I mean, could you imagine the epic win that would be Memoir ‘44 or Battlelore on XBLA?

It would be massive. :D

Hell yes it would. Just having the computer doing the setup instead of doing it by hand would be worth the 800 MSP.

Brym on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Due to popular request, I've created a PA clan tag for boardgames. If you want to be included, just add "PABoardGames" to your friends list. Then, you can use the "view friends" function to see everyone else who is signed up. I'm probably not going to go through and add everyone who asked about it in this thread, so you'll have to do it yourself.

The tag should be reserved for people who want to play more games of Catan, Carcassonne, or both. I think those are the two games that most people are interested in.

EDIT: Did decide to go ahead and add the people in this thread who clearly asked to be added when one was created.

Brym on
  • Options
    BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Brym wrote: »
    BarneyL wrote: »

I'd put my money on the American version being the XBLA version. I have the Europe version at home, and all the city names are in that country's original language. Even a gamer who can find Moscow on a map might not know that in the game it's called "Moskva". Or "Kobenhavn" for Copenhagen. The mass market on XBLA will be much happier connecting Chicago and Detroit.

Let's hope there's a choice like the online java version. I've only played Europe but from what I've heard the US map largely tends to wards a more aggressive blocking style of play.

The Euro names are not only in their original language but backdated to the names from the early 20th century, Istambul is still Constantinople for example (cue They Might Be Giants)

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png