As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Prince of Persia due to be out in '08

DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
http://kotaku.com/384771/new-prince-of-persia-coming-this-year

SAN FRANCISCO -April 28, 2008 - Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest video game publishers, announced that a new Prince of Persia is scheduled to release Holiday 2008 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and PC. This new Prince of Persia marks the debut of the critically acclaimed franchise on next-generation consoles. Developed by Ubisoft's award winning Montreal studio that brought you Assassin's Creed(TM) and the same all-star team that created the previously acclaimed Prince of Persia® Sands of Time trilogy, Prince of Persia is opening a new chapter in the Prince of Persia universe, featuring a new breed of gameplay. The game is poised to rejuvenate the action-adventure genre in addition to introducing a brand-new illustrative art style.

Ubisoft will also release a Prince of Persia game specifically designed for the Nintendo DS(TM) system, featuring an entirely new storyline and new characters. More details to be unveiled in the future.

Looks like another promising third party game coming only to next gen systems, poor Wii owners, The Sands of Time was one of my personal favorite games of last generation. In any case, though, this is looking up to be quite the year in games!

So, will it be smoldering with generic rage? Have Assasin's Creed style platforming and open world-ness? What do you guys think of this "illustrative art style"? I'm reminded a bit of that upcoming Love game personally.

Darlan on

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I eagerly await the PS2 and Wii version of the game sourced out from the main company to a company that mainly does licensed bad games that no one has ever played

Bloods End on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Meh. I played the first one for maybe 10 minutes on the PC, even though I spent $50 on it. There I go, buying games for hype again.

Though I hope there will be a demo for this.

urahonky on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ah, excellent news.

I am hoping for a more linear game then Assassins Creed, however. I do not think the quality of level design/platforming I expect from a PoP game is possible in that open of an environment.

As long as there is no godsmack, it will be just fine.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sands of Time is one of my favorite platforming games. I don't think there was a single think I disliked about it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    From what I read, they toned down the generic rage in the 3rd game. Let's hope they swap out the sword battles with gunfights and a cover system.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Epic thread was locked, by the way...

And yes, Two Thrones was a balance between Sands of Time and Warrior Within. It worked very well.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bought'd

LewieP on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sands of Time is one of my all time favourite games. Just the thought of a new PoP game on the 360/PS3 makes me stupidly excited and I'm already ridiculously excited by GTA4, this can't be good for me.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Meh. I played the first one for maybe 10 minutes on the PC, even though I spent $50 on it. There I go, buying games for hype again.

Were you trying to play it with a Keyboard? If so, theres your problem. Then again I had a friend who was doing the same and managed to get through most of the game before getting stuck on a puzzle because hes stupid sometimes.

For me I would never consider buying an action game like this on PC unless I had a gamepad.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »

Were you trying to play it with a Keyboard? If so, theres your problem. Then again I had a friend who was doing the same and managed to get through most of the game before getting stuck on a puzzle because hes stupid sometimes.

For me I would never consider buying an action game like this on PC unless I had a gamepad.

Really? It's rather easy to play with a keyboard, and I've played both the PC version and the PS2 version. Because I love these games, even Warrior Within dammit.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    introducing a brand-new illustrative art style.

Moar liek Prince of Celsia

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Strifer wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »

Really? It's rather easy to play with a keyboard, and I've played both the PC version and the PS2 version. Because I love these games, even Warrior Within dammit.

Eh, I played Sands of Time on Xbox, but tried the Warrior Within demo on PC and just couldn't play the game at all with a Keyboard. Different people have different tastes, but I would've been mad if I had bought it for PC and tried to play it.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I finished both Sands of Time and Beyond Good&Evil with a mouse&keyboard. The camera in SoT is a far bigger obstacle than any control method, to be honest.

Glal on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I played it on the PC, but used one of my old school controllers. It's just no good with K/B imo.

Anyway, as long as it follows in the fine tradition of Sands of Time or Two Thrones, we'll be ok.

shryke on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I totally rock at these games with a keyboard and mouse, controllers are so much harder for me to use. Analog arf

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think my issue with the KBAM with POP is that the mouse movement moved the camera very awkwardly compared to most other games I've played.

urahonky on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Never finished SoT. Combat, urgh. It would've been so much better without any combat at all. And haven't played WW cause of starforce. F that. How did it end?

Fuga on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fuga wrote: »
    Never finished SoT. Combat, urgh. It would've been so much better without any combat at all. And haven't played WW cause of starforce. F that. How did it end?

If you get the good ending you get a blowjob while sailing away.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Eagerly awaiting this game, the last three were some of my favourites of the last gen (yes, including emo Warrior Within. I loved it despite the backtracking)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Fuga wrote: »

If you get the good ending you get a blowjob while sailing away.

Did I get the wrong ending? I got done with a strap-on and given a reach-around.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Since most people have said that they enjoyed these games, I've added all of them to my Goozex request. All for Xbox. God help you if they don't work!

(Oh... They are BC with the 360 right?!)

urahonky on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I hope they don't make a new prince. The current one is such a great character they should make him the Link of the PoP series.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Since most people have said that they enjoyed these games, I've added all of them to my Goozex request. All for Xbox. God help you if they don't work!

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Sadly, only Sands of Time is backwards compatible. :( It's still awesome though and you should play it.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    brynstar wrote: »

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Sadly, only Sands of Time is backwards compatible. :( It's still awesome though and you should play it.

Fuck dammit! Oh well, I'll get SoT on xbox and the other two on PS2 :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Might be cheaper to just get the "Prince of Persia Trilogy" that was released for the PS2.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Might be cheaper to just get the "Prince of Persia Trilogy" that was released for the PS2.

I just searched a few places and couldn't find it. Maybe that was a PAL only release?

e: sure enough, PAL only.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prince-Of-Persia-Trilogy-PS2/dp/B000JS3CO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1209430924&sr=8-1

urahonky on
  • Options
    VellyrVellyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ubisoft will also release a Prince of Persia game specifically designed for the Nintendo DS(TM) system, featuring an entirely new storyline and new characters. More details to be unveiled in the future.

Is it just me or is the DS basically nintendo's next-gen system? It seems like they release anything of any reasonable quality on it and leave the refuse for the wii. Luckily I own a PS3 as well, but it kind of chafes me that I could have bought a DS for $60 and gotten 3x the entertainment value from it instead of buying a Wii.

Vellyr on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

I just searched a few places and couldn't find it. Maybe that was a PAL only release?

Could be.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Vellyr wrote: »

Is it just me or is the DS basically nintendo's next-gen system? It seems like they release anything of any reasonable quality on it and leave the refuse for the wii.

Just you. Most often if they make a "special" game for the DS, they pitch it off to shitty developers that just shovel it out the door.

See: Assassin's Creed DS.

urahonky on