As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shopping for a Gamecube controller with some decent range to use with my Wii?

SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
With recent releases such as "Super Smash Brothers: Brawl" and "Mario Kart Wii" I seem to be finding myself with an increasing need for an actual game controller to play on instead instead of the Wii"s "Sticks", and was wondering if anyone out there would mind giving me their opinion or recommendation.

I originally looked at just picking up some cheap 3rd party controller, however I cant seem to find anything with a long enough cord to use comfortably (The recent white controller released by nintendo falls about one foot short), and a wavebird is out of the question because using a controller without rumble feels like an awkward step back.

So after a bit of searching I have come across two possible solutions (All links go to Amazon, ill shop around for better prices later).

1.) Buy a bonafide, Nintendo licensed, Gamecube controller and use one of these Link 1 Link 2
2.) Buy a third party wireless controller with "Stock Vibration"? Link

Problem is I've never heard of either of these, and I get the sinking suspicion I would just be buying a hunk of plastic junk.

Hopefully someone out there will have heard of either of these or have a half decent solution.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sparrow on

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If the classic controller and Wavebird are out of the equation due to lack of rumble, then I'd say a controller extension cable is your next best option. Always prioritize Nintendo licensed hardware.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Akito01Akito01 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I honestly think the Thrustmaster NW wireless control pad is a great solution. I have one myself, and haven't felt compelled to plug in the Wavebird since. It is basically a wireless GameCube pad (though sold as an alternative to the Classic Controller), with rumble included, selling for $19.99. The only downside, in my experience, is that the wireless signal doesn't seem too strong, since I have to have the dongle hang along the front of my Wii to keep a solid connection (putting it along the side, as suggested, seems to result in an intermittent signal caused by the body of the Wii itself).

Akito01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Akito01 wrote: »
    I honestly think the Thrustmaster NW wireless control pad is a great solution.

IGN has some nice things to say about this controller, so ill check into it. Thanks.

I do have to admit that a game controller wasnt the first thing to mind when I read your post. Did the founder of the company loose a bet or something? "Thrustmaster" Seriously?

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sparrow wrote: »
    Akito01 wrote: »
    I honestly think the Thrustmaster NW wireless control pad is a great solution.

IGN has some nice things to say about this controller, so ill check into it. Thanks.

I do have to admit that a game controller wasnt the first thing to mind when I read your post. Did the founder of the company loose a bet or something? "Thrustmaster" Seriously?

Flightsticks.

jothki on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wow, I didn't even realize that Thrustmaster was still around. They used to be headquartered right near where I live.

They always made excellent flightsticks. I've still got one somewhere...too bad I no longer have the port for it.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sparrow wrote: »
    "Thrustmaster" Seriously?

:winky:

gtrmp on