As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a good Wii Remote charger

MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
Since I've been playing unhealthy amount of hours in MKW lately, even with the release of GTA4, my battery collection has taken a beating.

Problem is, there are so many third-party chargers out there that I'm not sure what to choose. Any suggestions?

MarkyX on

• HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Nyko.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • DraysothDraysoth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Buy rechargable AA's and a good charger... batteries will be useful then for more than just the Wiimotes at a comparable price.

Draysoth on
    WiiU ID - Draysoth1
    Xbox Live - Draysoth1
    PSN - Draysoth
    Steam - Draysoth
    3DS - 2320-6133-3744
    Please let me know if you add me!
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Draysoth wrote: »
    Buy rechargable AA's and a good charger.

Look for AAs with a low self-discharge rate. Sanyo Eneloops are excellent but expensive. Rayovac Hybrids are almost as good and very cheap and can be found in any self-respecting Wal-Mart. Duracell is also making low self-discharge cells; I think they print "Pre-Charged" on the package.

Daedalus on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is there such a thing as rechargeable lithium AAs or AAAs?

I hate me some nickel batteries.

Evander on
    edited April 2008
    Evander wrote: »

Unfortunately no. (And don't lithium batteries output 3.2V per cell anyway?)

NiMH batteries aren't that bad now, though, if you get low self-discharge ones.

Daedalus on
  • stringstring Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Can't really give you a review of them yet but I ordered this recharger from monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3584&seq=1&format=2

Not sure if they're good or not but the price was right. It's still shipping to me.

string on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

IS there any reason for this?

All of the proprietary rechargable batteries I own are litium. Why can't they make AAs?

Evander on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited April 2008
    Draysoth wrote: »
    Buy rechargable AA's and a good charger.

Look for AAs with a low self-discharge rate. Sanyo Eneloops are excellent but expensive. Rayovac Hybrids are almost as good and very cheap and can be found in any self-respecting Wal-Mart. Duracell is also making low self-discharge cells; I think they print "Pre-Charged" on the package.

Agreed. Some regular rechargables and a slow charger (at least four hours) is the most inexpensive, effective, and versatile solution.

Inexpensive: Slow charger means your batteries last much longer (I've been using the same ones since the Wii launced). The batteries are generally cheaper as well.
    Effective: Last forever! Since Wii launch!
    Versatile: You don't have to just use them with the Wii. I use the same patch of double AAs for my 360 controllers as well.

Dareth Ram on
    edited April 2008

IS there any reason for this?

All of the proprietary rechargable batteries I own are litium. Why can't they make AAs?

Lithium cells output 3V instead of the 1.5 volts that alkaline cells output (or the 1.2 volts that nickel-based cells output). If I recall correctly, the disposable Lithium AAs that you can buy in stores have some voltage conversion hardware in them, and it's hard to do that and have a rechargable cell at the same time. But I could be wrong; I'm CS not EE.

Daedalus on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Htown wrote: »
    Nyko.

Seconded. The charger base ($32 last time I looked, I think at BBuy) handles two remotes at a time, and the cover that exposes the contacts on the battery is nicely rubberized to provide grip. They also sell individual battery/cover packs that come in different colors (I've seen black and blue, with the charger including two greys); I got one for $10 at EBStop on Sunday for my third remote, and now I just rotate them on the charger.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »

lol, only 1300mah though..

I got some radioshack junk AA rechargeables that I regret buying. Then I have some nice Energizer ones that last longer and hold their charge better. It's slightly annoying to have these instead of the Nyko charger (which is nice, if you have the space for it wherever you store your console) because you have to remove them to charge it, but the versatility is nice if you have a 360 and need batteries for that or other devices in the house.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd like to third the Nyko charger. I've had it for while now and I don't regret it a bit. It holds a charge and is a convenient place to store my Wii remotes when I'm not playing. Plus the added bonus of being able to but the battery packs by themselves is good for those with more than two controllers.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    string wrote: »
    Can't really give you a review of them yet but I ordered this recharger from monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3584&seq=1&format=2

Not sure if they're good or not but the price was right. It's still shipping to me.

I have that one too. I hear the Nyko is better (these don't hold a charge extremely long and depend on the Wii being powered, since it plugs into the Wii's USB port), but this one does what I want without any fuss.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf