As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chronic Sinuisitis

nuclearalchemistnuclearalchemist Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi all, so my fiance has been sick for the past 2 weeks with a sinus infection. She has been on antibiotics, but here is the deal; some days she seems fine, just tired, and some days she seems much worse again. She is still having her ear hurt, other problems, etc, and has seen the doctor several times. The doctor said to just stay home and rest. I also suffer from chronic sinusitis, but I have never had it this bad.

I am just looking for what people's home remedy cures might be, other suggestions for how to treat this, other than giving her tea, lots of rest, eating right, more rest, and taking it easy.

~Eigen-fleichen
nuclearalchemist on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, as far as clearing out sinuses goes, inhaling saltwater always clears me right up, as does eating a teaspoon of Tobasco sauce.

This is one of those cases where, unless it's bad, the cure is sometimes worse than the ailment.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Well, as far as clearing out sinuses goes, inhaling saltwater always clears me right up, as does eating a teaspoon of Tobasco sauce.

This is one of those cases where, unless it's bad, the cure is sometimes worse than the ailment.

Yeah, I forgot to mention what all she is taking for this. She is taking antibiotics, doing the saltwater rinses, nasal steroids, and guaifenesen. What concerns me is her getting better/getting worse on a day by day basis.

nuclearalchemist on
    ~Eigen-fleichen
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There really isn't anything else than rinsing with salt water, or using steam to relieve the pressure. If there is, I'd love to hear about it myself. I've never found anything else.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keep an eye out for airborne particles around the house?

I love incense. Apparently however, scented candles and Dragon's Blood beat the crap out of me.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    Keep an eye out for airborne particles around the house?

I agree, especially since you both have it. Could be something worse than just dust like mold.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sadly, this has been going on for years for me, not so long for her. Both of us have been diagnosed with it (her recently); I was diagnosed back in '91. And the place is new =/. One thing is that she just found out she is allergic to meats (yes, all of them), so we've cut that out of her diet, but she had the sinus infection before we did that.

nuclearalchemist on
    ~Eigen-fleichen
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My buddy gets these all the time. It seems like each time, they start him off with some kind of weak dose of Anti-biotics, then he goes back still sick, and they give him a better one and then it usually resolves.

Is your fiance taking the antibiotics properly? I figure probably yes; but just make sure. Its important to take the full prescription.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i want to say there are procedures that you can essentially bore out the sinus making you less prone to getting it bad, i want to say my grandmother gets that regularly, but it could be heresay

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The problem with sinusitis is that it doesn't always have the same cause. If you have a deviated septum then surgery might be effective, but if the sinusitis is caused by allergies than it would be somewhat of a waste of time (and money) since it doesn't fix the cause (and many sinus issues are caused by allergies, I believe).

Also, antibiotics don't always help, atleast, they haven't for me. And the time it takes to clear a normal sinus infection is about the same as the time you spend taking antibiotics.

Really, about the only thing is to rest, use steam, saline sprays, whatever helps relieve the symptoms. If it persists for too long and/or the pain gets unbearable go back to the doctor.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    BetelguesePDXBetelguesePDX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Use a humidifier, and tons of regular steam inhalation / hot baths.

Also neti pot = your friend.

BetelguesePDX on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My mom and I deal with chronic sinuisitis. Its a real pain in the ass. My mom actually ended up getting surgery for it.

Both of us swear by this shit

http://www.unimedprod.com/

The basic Sinus Rinse kit works wonders. Whenever i feel something sinus-y coming on, i just hit it with the sinus rinse twice a day and it nips it in the bud.

Seriously, it works.

EDIT: didnt really read the OP. Sometimes that shit just takes a long time. I'v deffinately gone 3 weeks or so with a good sinus ailment. Tell her to take like 3 or 4 days off, literally don't do anything but lay around in bed. That helps me usually.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Luckily, she seems to be doing better now, the 4 days of rest were good for her, and I plan on talking with her about not overdoing it here. Thanks everybody!

nuclearalchemist on
    ~Eigen-fleichen
  • Options
    BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    FYI it could be a fungal infection. If it recurs you should get a second opinion. I had sinus problems for years, but was cured after I found a good physician who diagnosed it right (and antibiotics and corticosteroids make fungal infections get stronger).

Just saying. If it comes back, you might want to consider the above.

Boredom on