As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Regenerating body parts and other medical wonders!!

Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Sawthisin the news today. This seems likea fantastic leap forward. I wonder whether this will ever public use, and if so the repercussions could be massive. I can imagine what life might be like if you could just pop alog to th doctors to grow another finger or whatever.

However this has got me thinking, there must be loads of projects of this kind and I was wondering if people might like to post and discuss the ideas and their possible repercussions (realistic ones only please!).

Have fun!

Anarchy Rules! on

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That article is fucking amazing.

Is that for real?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I remember hearing about new techniques that, unless I'm remembering it wrong, allowed Hockey players the ability to regrow missing teeth.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh snap, now I can really be like Piccolo?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Is that for real?

If it wasn't from the BBC I would have doubts myself too. That is indeed amazing and unbelievable.

mantidor on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I always said I'd worship whatever god could demonstratably heal an amputee.

Science-u ackbar.

Qingu on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    That is radical

Medopine on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Unless the BBC think it's April fools day... or some massive deception. The story was on the 6 o'clock news on the TV as well.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    nuclearalchemistnuclearalchemist Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ................wow.

nuclearalchemist on
    ~Eigen-fleichen
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's impressive, but I think you guys are a bit over-the-top with the praise. Fingertips are one of the few parts of the body that can be regenerated naturally, although normally this is only possible in childhood. It's not as if they regrew an entire finger.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    mantidor wrote: »

Is that for real?

If it wasn't from the BBC I would have doubts myself too. That is indeed amazing and unbelievable.

The fact that it was the BBC was what kept me from calling it bullshit without a second thought. This is still pretty amazing.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's impressive, but I think you guys are a bit over-the-top with the praise. Fingertips are one of the few parts of the body that can be regenerated naturally, although normally this is only possible in childhood. It's not as if they regrew an entire finger.

I have never heard of that. Do you have any links?

Even so, regenerating a finger from the last knuckle upward, in an adult, is pretty damn impressive.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LizardSpec.gif?

Seriously though, this looks awesome. In the future I won't have to care about losing limbs, meaning I can be even more careless. Huzzah!

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

A lot of things stop working as you age: think about if they could get the brain to heal like it does in childhood.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looks like the same guy from at 12:50. That talk is from 2006 so... the tech is a little old, wonder where it's at by now.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fingertips are some of the most important parts of the human body, especially today.

It's a damned good start.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There was a pig heart removed and de-cellularized so that just the extra-cellular matrix remained. So basically it was a scaffold that held the shape of the heart, but had no functional ability or cells.

They then seeded the scaffold with cells grown in the lab, and after a while it started beating. Not a regular heartbeat, but it was beating in sequence.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    There was a pig heart removed and de-cellularized so that just the extra-cellular matrix remained. So basically it was a scaffold that held the shape of the heart, but had no functional ability or cells.

They then seeded the scaffold with cells grown in the lab, and after a while it started beating. Not a regular heartbeat, but it was beating in sequence.

Yeah it was pretty crazy. Didn't they just pump soapwater through it to clear out the cells?

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What's awesome about this is that they're using pig parts so that they can bypass the whole ban on stem cell research.

To me, that's what makes it amazing. When you get this bullshit limitation put on you and still manage to work around it.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What's awesome about this is that they're using pig parts so that they can bypass the whole ban on stem cell research.

To me, that's what makes it amazing. When you get this bullshit limitation put on you and still manage to work around it.

Well also now the people who put on the limitation can be like see you didn't need 'em after all Praise God!

This stuff is pretty amazing.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

There's a biotech company that has bladders going through clinical trials. They take a core sample of your bladder, to prevent immunal rejection, and then grow all the cells on a biodegradable matrix shaped like a bladder. They then install it, and the matrix dissolves, leaving a new functional bladder. :D

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I guess the only thing that sucks is that now I can't have that badass robot arm with the gadgets installed, because it's become obsolete already.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If I cut my dick in half, can I get two, like with those flatworms?

GungHo on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

There's a biotech company that has bladders going through clinical trials. They take a core sample of your bladder, to prevent immunal rejection, and then grow all the cells on a biodegradable matrix shaped like a bladder. They then install it, and the matrix dissolves, leaving a new functional bladder. :D

I find the idea of "installing" a bladder to be absolutely hilarious.

I'm picturing something analogous to installing some more RAM.

Garthor on
  • Options
    CIPHERHILLCIPHERHILL __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    If I cut my dick in half, can I get two, like with those flatworms?

You could eat your own cock. Over and over again.

CIPHERHILL on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I dunno, a cyborg arm, a regrown arm thanks to a powder, or an arm grown on the back of a mouse.

I don't know which is cooler.

Kagera on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It seems so un-scientific. The guys brother sent him some super cool med dust.... then let him go for broke. No lab conditions or anything....

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    joshua1 wrote: »
    It seems so un-scientific. The guys brother sent him some super cool med dust.... then let him go for broke. No lab conditions or anything....

Yeah it sounds like he sent away for sea monkeys or x-ray glasses or something.

Or penis enlargement cream.

Wait, can this make your penis bigger????

Kagera on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

No, but if you chop off the glans you can probably grow a fingertip on the end. Take that, sodomy laws!

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »

No, but if you chop off the glans you can probably grow a fingertip on the end. Take that, sodomy laws!

That might hurt.

Kagera on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This probably isn't the superadvance it might seem like - as others have stated, the big advance is that they prevented scarring. Regrowing the tip of your finger isn't unheard of, and I guarantee you that regrowing anything more complicated is a lot harder.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This probably isn't the superadvance it might seem like - as others have stated, the big advance is that they prevented scarring. Regrowing the tip of your finger isn't unheard of, and I guarantee you that regrowing anything more complicated is a lot harder.

Well I would say that it is still pretty cool if you can just slap some powder on it and it heals like that. Certainly if you want to regenerate things like larger limbs and organs you are going to have to use something like those stemcell scaffolding things they are working on, but as far as the smaller stuff goes, this is pretty cool.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes to ELM and NATIK. Still pretty cool. I could see this used instead of dermal fillers on acne marks or maybe as a way of accelerating healing for burn victims or surgical patients.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This guy's voice...I don't understand why, but I could listen to him talk all day. I've seen the video like 15 times already.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Funny enough, my boss's 2 year old daughter had the tip of her finger sliced off at day care, and it grew back without magic pixie dust. I attribute it to all the crazy growth that kids go through.

But yeah, this is pretty cool.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Funny enough, my boss's 2 year old daughter had the tip of her finger sliced off at day care, and it grew back without magic pixie dust. I attribute it to all the crazy growth that kids go through.

But yeah, this is pretty cool.

Was mentioned earlier in this thread that children can indeed grow back these things, whereas in most cases an adult cannot, so you would indeed be correct.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    According to the youtube talk posted on the previous page, children lose that ability by the time they're five.

So yeah, I hereby judge this as Still Cool.

Their next clinical trial - aiding the regrowth of normal oesophagus tissue after cancer - sounds really interesting.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So why did my foreskin never grow back? :(

Kagera on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Did you rub a little pig bladder onto it?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Did you rub a little pig bladder onto it?

Fuck that's what I asked for on my third birthday but I just got He-Man and Star Wars toys.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I am also going to suggest that maybe foreskin and fingertips aren't the same thing. I don't know, but it is a feeling I have.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png