Options

(phoenix concepts) Olympus Suit, page 4

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    I've read the comic, prohass. I've been watching gibs for a long time, hes one of my favorite artist and a huge influence on me when it comes to what to take into consideration in world making. I never said he doesnt develop characters, he obviously does. To me it feels secondary, thats all.

Its really more of a suggestion than a critique, anyway. I may have told him this before, too.

Iruka on
  • Options
    CharcoalNinjaCharcoalNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Long time lurker, very little poster.

Personally I say keep the ears long and pointy. Mainly because the imagery they allowed you to create in Locust was completely awesome. The badass duro siloette in the mental fogy memory flashes in Gab's mind really wouldn't be nearly as alien and impressive if he didn't have the ears. Rounding out the ears make them a lot more human, which is bad considering you want to create a sort of other between the Phionix and the Duro. And it would reamove the really cool idea that was the pierce the ears and tuck them back idea you had.

As an aside. Considering that he's designing the world as a backdrop to a large series of stand alone short stories, the characters ARE going to be secondary because they aren't the main focus of the work. The work is on how the characters are shaped by the events of the setting, not how the setting is shaped by the actions of the characters as opposed to conventional sci-fi that's driven by a central cast. The character development will occur in each story, but the emphasis should not be on detailing everything about Gab possible, since he has to write about Anton, Rachel, timmy, bobbysue and 7 thousand others.

This difference for example is why it doesn't matter that we already know how the story 'ends'. The focus is on "whoa look at what's happening here!" and we get to see all the little ants scamper around in response to all these events.

Just my take on what I've seen. Great stuff here, I can't wait to see more of it.

CharcoalNinja on
  • Options
    angry_black_guyangry_black_guy Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I am completely surprised no one has mentioned that the tribal warriors look like the characters from Jak and Daxter. I support the short ears for that very reason but you should also vary the design based on the tribe in particular. Some tribes should crop their ears or wear different earrings to distinguish their appearance kind of like how you've got a variety of hair styles there.

I don't want to start beating on the "Templar is a specific word" horse but unless this takes place in an alternate earth or within real earth's timeline then the Templar name will appear really gimmicky to most knowledgable readers which can hurt with marketing. I also think the auxiliary's coats are pretty useless (why would conscripted expendable grunts get such a nice jacket?).

Other than those nitpicks, you have a real eye for good design overall. The characters themselves are interesting and distinct from each other and the style, while not exactly "cartoony", is detailed but doesn't have that stiff uninteresting look that most sci-fi/fantasy character designs have.

angry_black_guy on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I also think the auxiliary's coats are pretty useless (why would conscripted expendable grunts get such a nice jacket?).

I think Gibbs already said that the celestials are quite pompous and flashy, so I would imagine that's why they have the coats. Also I like the longer rounded ears as well gibbs. Still differentiates the Durus in my opinion and it's something you don't see in other sci-fi stuff. Can't wait to read the new stories!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    mars-suit.jpg
    Doodle for issue 1 character.
    "last man on earth" stuck inside a mars-exploration suit for ten years.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why would he be in a mars exploration suit if he was on EARTH?
    And how does he eat.........and more to the point, shit? Is that why the suit is so bulky? Oh dear god, it is isn't it!

Apart from that, the suit is exeptionally cool.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    "I been living in this damn soda-can for ten stinkin’ years. Never even taken it off to take a duke. It’s got some kind of hyper-efficient crap recycler or whatever. It’s been a while since I read the manual.
    Some space corporation made it for some Mars expedition that never happened. “Fully independent hazardous environment exploration suit”. Supposed to keep space-jockeys alive indefinitely as long as they have a hydrogen pump and a handful of protein tabs. I haven’t croaked yet, so I guess it works."

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well it seems you've got everything wrapped up in a neat little package.........I'll get you yet McGibs.....and your little dog too.

Mustang on
  • Options
    117Lei117Lei Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    God that would suck. Reminds me sort of about that guy who was stuck in an elevator for 41 hours.

As for the pic, its quite cool looking.

117Lei on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I have an idea for the ears: change the shape of the top into a isosceles near-triangle, but keep the area the same as in humans.
    The top of the human ear is either a semicircle or parabola. The height of a triangle with a base equal to the diameter of a semicircle is pi/2 times the radius. The height of a triangle with a base equal to the base of a parabola is 4/3 times the radius.
    As pi/2 is greater than 4/3, I recommend assuming the top of the ear is a semicircle.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    McGibs wrote: »
    mars-suit.jpg
    Doodle for issue 1 character.

botp'd

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    math shit

ARTIST NO LIKE MATH!
    *smashes stuff*

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Liking that space man, the texture makes it look almost charcoaly

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    That reminds me a lot of the scientist suit from STALKER. I like the direction you're taking with this single story type stuff.

bombardier on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sweetness. Is that a textured brush you're using for that dusty look?

Sublimus on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    looks like a grain filter

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    That reminds me a lot of the scientist suit from STALKER. I like the direction you're taking with this single story type stuff.

I got more of a Bioshock vibe from it......but I can see where you're coming from.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I know I've asked you this before, but I think you missed it. How do you get that texture on your digital work? If it's just the sharpen filter, could you be more specific? When I sharpen mine, it looks terrible.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Its just sharpen and noise.

I paint with a squareish brush through.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I always liked that look- can you only get it with the filter? I wouldn't think there's some digipainting style that automatically produces it.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It looks pretty painty even without the filters on. Stuff in photoshop is always inheritly a bit blurry, so its always a good idea to sharpen it a bit for some crispness.

Heres the poor bugger himself.
    survivor-face.jpg

JESUS IN SPPPPAAAAAAACCCEE!!

and his economy sedan turned into a snow mobile... thing. (yes, that is a bicycle on the back)
    snow-car.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    117Lei117Lei Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    IMO, his hair should be much much longer, and his beard more thick and curly. I have a friend who hasn't shaved or gotten a hair cut in about 7 years. I know about these things. :P

Otherwise, fantastic as usual. I really love the snowmobile.

117Lei on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    117Lei wrote: »
    IMO, his hair should be much much longer, and his beard more thick and curly. I have a friend who hasn't shaved or gotten a hair cut in about 7 years. I know about these things. :P

That was my initial reaction as well for having been stuck in a suit for 10 years, and then I remember that one of the first things your body does when it's in starvation mode is greatly reduce the energy diverted toward hair and fingernail growth, among other non-vital systems. I imagine subsisting on distilled water and supplement pills for that long would leave you pretty malnourished.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Indeed and living in such a confined and stale environment ones hair would tend to break off.

Mustang on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Good stuff.

My only real complaints are on the designs of S.I.K.A. Stage I and Stage II.

They just seem a little...boring? Maybe it's just because they are standing around with nothing in their hands.

Maybe with a belt with grenades attached and a pistol, with a rifle in hand and a backpack on or something they won't look quite so bland.

I can't help but feel that Stage IIs armor could use some color though, maybe give the mask and pauldrons some sort of color as a form of unit or rank designation or something? Also, as someone else said, having the power supply as a collar around their neck seems like a bad idea. Keep the armor around the neck for protection, it looks nice, but maybe add some kind of power supply backpack or something?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    for clerification, the SIKA images are just to show off the armor. They arnt images of actual soldiers.

Auxiliaries wear stage I, and templars(rename pending) wear stage II.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    personally I feel you should go back and add some fine detailing like scrapes, chinks, or dents in the armor; and perhaps some texture as well. Right now everything sort of has a very bland look as though they are thumbnails prepped for something far greater that you are capable of. Aesthetic purposes aside, there needs to be something that would allow me to look at your sika and judge what material its constructed from and determine a sense of weight amongts other things. Right now I may assume that sika white armor is just a cheap plastic overcoat when you intended it to be thickened steel, or I may assume the robes of a templar are thick leather drooping down when in fact you wanted to portray a more finely woven silk that would flow almost freely in the wind.

I'm not saying you should go nuts with a million texture brushes like I usually do, but you do need to add some indicators that would tell me what it is I'm exactly looking at.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    for clerification, the SIKA images are just to show off the armor. They arnt images of actual soldiers.

Auxiliaries wear stage I, and templars(rename pending) wear stage II.

Oh, I see, thumbs up then, good stuff.

I don't see the need to rename your templars by the way.

Yes, templar means a specific thing in OUR world. Therefore you have no obligation to have templar mean the same thing in the world you are creating, unless the world you are creating is ours in the future or something.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mykonos wrote: »
    personally I feel you should go back and add some fine detailing like scrapes, chinks, or dents in the armor; and perhaps some texture as well. Right now everything sort of has a very bland look as though they are thumbnails prepped for something far greater that you are capable of. Aesthetic purposes aside, there needs to be something that would allow me to look at your sika and judge what material its constructed from and determine a sense of weight amongts other things. Right now I may assume that sika white armor is just a cheap plastic overcoat when you intended it to be thickened steel, or I may assume the robes of a templar are thick leather drooping down when in fact you wanted to portray a more finely woven silk that would flow almost freely in the wind.

I'm not saying you should go nuts with a million texture brushes like I usually do, but you do need to add some indicators that would tell me what it is I'm exactly looking at.

uh, if it is showing off the armor itself, there really isn't a need for damage, especially how he describes the dudes that own them

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    gunny.jpg
    bored gunner and her gun. I like these new rounded ears better.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love that drawing to death, but that hairline is just a little too low for me.
    Also the white paint on the ear really pulls it out from the rest, kinda emphasizing them in a way im not quite ready for, having been a fan of the old ears. Maybe if the top of the ear were the darker color, the ear wouldn't pop out so much.
    I'm also thinking that given the sharpness of her features, we would not be able to see the eyelid on the other side of her head.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ^ tweaked hairline, ear, mouth, and added word bubble.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    McGibs however did you get this good?

Keep it up maeng.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It all looks awesome to me. Just read through Locust and I really like it, the artwork and script are spot on! Nice work!

Snare on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It read a little boyish to me before I read the post. Contextually, it reads a little tomboyish, which is reasonable considering she's a gunner. But totally grand.

Also, that gloved hand is amazing. You have a gift for registering the texture and pushing its form. <3.

piL on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    gunny.jpg

Durus ladies arn't exactly shineing examples of femininity. :p

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    devicesdevices Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    snip.jpg

Durus ladies arn't exactly shineing examples of femininity. :p

tehcnical question:

is that a SAW-type weapon she's got? don't Durus use flechette rounds in the locust storyline?

lord, that's gotta be messy

p.s. love the ears, make her look unique without them being too overstated

devices on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The new ears def gives the characters a unique look. Keep it coming.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    McGibs, isn't her head a little short from back to front? I dunno, it seems like her skull should be a little longer.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dev: yeah, its an LMG. Durus use pretty much anything. The flecchetes I was reffereing to in the last Locust issue are used in storm-guns (assualt shotguns) and are basicly just big armour peircing shotgun shells. They shoot out a bunch of ballistic spikes, rather then pellets.

Tam: probobly. A: shes got a long face, B: shes leaning on her hand, pulling her jaw forward, and C: the whole thing is pretty stylized. so whatever. artistic licence.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg