As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time Capsule and a Wii...

Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have a Time Capsule and a Japanese Wii and I'm currently running a wireless 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible) network with WPA/WPA2 encryption...

Now, I was originally running a plain 802.11n 5Ghz network because up until a week ago or so the only client connecting to it was my MBP (which is, of course, 802.11n compatible).

Then I bought a Wii.

(I'll preface this question as follows: I can read enough Japanese to do a lot of things, but reading about the ins and outs of the Wii's wifi in Japanese in a small console manual is sort of a PITA.)

I want my Wii to be able to download what, weather updates and stuff, but I'm worried that if I turn on WiiConnect24 my Wii will try and constantly maintain a connection with the Time Capsule such that the network is ALWAYS running on B or G speeds, slowing down browsing and Time Machine back-ups on my MBP. Am I wrong in making this assumption? Does the Wii only check for updates at certain intervals when its not on?

Right now, I've enabled 'net access on my Wii but it tells me that without WiiConnect24, I can't access weather or anything really. I'm not even sure what my Wii can do right now with WiiConnect24 off... Is there a way to tell my Wii to just download updates when its on and to otherwise leave my network alone? I mean, why can't it just get the weather when I turn it on?

Xbox Live: No Reply
Steam: Jacobontap
LoL: FutureBlues
Future Blues on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    You should be fine with network speeds under G. N is still experimental and hasn't even been solidified yet. Apple may or may not be able to even patch the Time Capsule to work with the final version of N.

I'd just let the Wii run and see how you feel about the connection. Otherwise, your option is to power down the Wii (by holding Power for a few seconds) and turn it on in Standby during the night so it can do it's thing, or turn off WiiConnect24 completely. Or buy the USB ethernet adapter and hook it up wired.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The weather/news/other channels should still work. The difference is the display in the channel menu. With WiiConnect24 off you'll have to actually go to the channel (and thus connect to the internet) rather than just seeing the updates on the main menu screen.

You can also just make sure to turn it off completely (red power indicator as opposed to yellow) when you don't want it using WiiConnect24 that way when you power it up later on it can connect to those services.

With WiiConnect24 on and in standby mode the Wii will maintain a connection, it doesn't check for updates constantly, but it will cost you that N.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    N and G can coexist together, so you wont loose the speed of N and you can keep the G connected to the network...

I got my one of my desktops at home on an N network, hits an average of about 215mbps, and my wii is connected too... I'm happy, it's not like the days of B and G where if a B device connects you go B all the way.... N and G can coexist....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295