As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zeroing Out Mac Drives

MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
Can someone suggest me a good (and free) tool for Mac OS X that will zero out some hard drives? Going to be selling two Macs soon and would like all my personal data off the drives.

Thanks.

Misanthropic on

• Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Disk Utility?

Maybe connect the Macs up as Firewire drives then blitz them.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hmmm yeah, I was hoping there'd be a utility you burn to a disc and it zeroes the hard drives out for you. I know there's something like that on Windows, but not sure on Mac. There must be, though.

Misanthropic on
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Boot onto an OSX install disk. Once in the installer there's a menu item labeled "Utilities", from that list select disk utility. Ta-da!

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Disk Utility man

It has 3 options

Zero Out Data - erases, writes over everything once with zero's

7-Pass - writes over everything 7 times

35-pass - 35 write overs

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Alright, cool thank you all.

Misanthropic on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, FYI for the next time you have a Mac question, we have a Mac thread right here.

Satan. on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ronzo wrote: »
    Disk Utility man

It has 3 options

35-pass - 35 write overs

I've always wondered why they have these options. I mean, if you write over everything with a zero, all the data is gone, right? That shit is blank! So uh... why spend the time doing it 7 or 35 more times? Is that for the ultra-paranoid? o_O Or maybe I just don't know enough about hard drives?

Kris on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    Disk Utility man

It has 3 options

35-pass - 35 write overs

I've always wondered why they have these options. I mean, if you write over everything with a zero, all the data is gone, right? That shit is blank! So uh... why spend the time doing it 7 or 35 more times? Is that for the ultra-paranoid? o_O Or maybe I just don't know enough about hard drives?

Drive platters can retain a residual charge, even after being overwritten several times. Thirty five seems a bit excessive, but maybe some government buyers require such measures.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Janin wrote: »
    Disk Utility man

It has 3 options

35-pass - 35 write overs

Drive platters can retain a residual charge, even after being overwritten several times. Thirty five seems a bit excessive, but maybe some government buyers require such measures.

in the 7-pass description says thats what the government uses.

35-pass is kinda nuts though

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    7-pass is the basic erasure used by governmental agencies for drives that did not contain confidential, secret etc. data on them. 35-pass is used for drives that did contain that sort of data. Just let it run overnight and do the 35-pass drive.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Chances are virtually nil that someone is going to send that drive to a data recovery center. I think the 7-pass is more than sufficient.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    typhoontyphoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

typhoon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You're selling the drive anyway (or at least repurposing it). In the highly unlikely event that you're going to blow the drive, I guess I don't see why "better safe than sorry" is a bad idea.

Satan. on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah. If it's on the way out of the house, might as well do the 35 pass since 7-pass is going to be pretty lengthy.

But at minimum I'd do the 7-pass. 1-pass is too easy to recover data from.

And then remember afterwards to reinstall OSX onto the drive, unless you bought it seperately as an upgrade.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    Just overwriting with zeroes still leaves restorable data. Do a random write. At least one pass.

Echo on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Also, FYI for the next time you have a Mac question, we have a Mac thread right here.

People are allowed to create threads about topics similar to your pet thread's topic, asshole.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    typhoon wrote: »
    Drive platters can retain a residual charge, even after being overwritten several times.
    Yeah, and you'd need to take the drive apart and have someone who really knows what he's doing analyze the disk to turn that residual charge into anything remotely resembling data again.

You really don't need anything more than a single pass. I doubt whoever gets your disks is going to take them down to a computer forensics expert and pay a bunch of money to get your data off them (making the drives unusable in the process). More than one pass is just wasting your time and putting unnecessary wear on the drives for no good reason.

Most data recovery places are just looking for files that have been deleted or the remnants of a drive after a head crash. They don't actually have the tools or skills to look for residual data after a wipe. The sort of labs capable of that sort of work are decidedly rare in the consumer industry and yet even more expensive than the normal professional data recovery labs. Unless you've been up to some seriously bad shit and the FBI is going to kick your door down tomorrow, it doesn't really matter beyond the first re-write pass.

Don't get me wrong, absolutely do a full re-write, and using random data is better than 0s and takes no extra time. Don't just format the drive and assume that this means the data can't be recovered because a format is trivial to recover data from, there's relatively cheap software that'll do the task. But anything beyond a single pass is a waste of time if you don't have state secrets on your hard drive.

EDIT: The reason I'm saying this is that your identity, your bank accounts, your credit history, the whole works? It's worth less than it would cost in time and money to recover a drive that's been completely wiped that way. And the contents of your drive probably don't even have enough information to give a thief that sort of access to your identity anyhow. It would be completely insane to go to that effort and spend that kind of money on speculation that some hard drive that was purchased second hand might possibly contain enough info to steal your identity.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »

People are allowed to create threads about topics similar to your pet thread's topic, asshole.

Uhm... ok? It's not exactly my pet thread, and for once I wasn't even aggressive with the request. I thought it also might help get his question answered more quickly, since it was Mac specific. Sorry for trying to keep the forum clean.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Uhm... ok? It's not exactly my pet thread, and for once I wasn't even aggressive with the request. I thought it also might help get his question answered more quickly, since it was Mac specific. Sorry for trying to keep the forum clean.

When Tube starts huffing glue and decides to make you a mod you can go ahead and try to keep the forum clean.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

When Tube starts huffing glue and decides to make you a mod you can go ahead and try to keep the forum clean.

Wow. Whatever dude.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Lol. Jesus Pheezer, settle down. Like Satan said, he was nice with his suggestion, so don't overreact.

Alright, SO, after writing over a disc with zero's once, the platter can retain a residual charge. That makes multiple wipes less silly. But, what I don't get is, what exactly is this residual charge? Like, if you were to select one bit at random, it would be a zero, but you could possibly tell that it used to be a one? That blows my mind. Am I understanding this correctly?

Kris on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Lol. Jesus Pheezer, settle down. Like Satan said, he was nice with his suggestion, so don't overreact.

Alright, SO, after writing over a disc with zero's once, the platter can retain a residual charge. That makes multiple wipes less silly. But, what I don't get is, what exactly is this residual charge? Like, if you were to select one bit at random, it would be a zero, but you could possibly tell that it used to be a one? That blows my mind. Am I understanding this correctly?

Although computers read discs as zero and one, the actual physical platters can contain a range of charges. Maybe it starts at 0, you write a one and now it's 0.95, you write a zero and it's now 0.10. Depending on the pattern of data written and the technology available, it's theoretically capable to recover data from a drive.

Remember that drive security isn't related to just what technology is available right now. Some information, like financial or medical records, have an inherent value that might persist for decades (eg, the life of a patient). That's why stuff like 35-time writes exists -- although it is gross overkill today, maybe tomorrow it will be barely enough. Same philosophy as encryption -- protection is measured in half-lives.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wow, that's really interesting stuff. Thanks for the clear explanation Janin. :D

themoreyouknowmy7.jpg

Kris on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pft. You should be keeping sensitive things like taxes or whatever at least in an encrypted Truecrypt image/partition/thumbdrive. You never know when a ninja is going to infiltrate your defenses.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008

Although computers read discs as zero and one, the actual physical platters can contain a range of charges. Maybe it starts at 0, you write a one and now it's 0.95, you write a zero and it's now 0.10. Depending on the pattern of data written and the technology available, it's theoretically capable to recover data from a drive.

Remember that drive security isn't related to just what technology is available right now. Some information, like financial or medical records, have an inherent value that might persist for decades (eg, the life of a patient). That's why stuff like 35-time writes exists -- although it is gross overkill today, maybe tomorrow it will be barely enough. Same philosophy as encryption -- protection is measured in half-lives.

As an aside, in the US that isn't enough. if a HDD has medical records on it, it's usually smelted or stays in a building locksafe and never leaves the premises. HDD companies will handle RMAs from hospitals by only requesting the faceplate.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    As an aside, in the US that isn't enough. if a HDD has medical records on it, it's usually smelted or stays in a building locksafe and never leaves the premises. HDD companies will handle RMAs from hospitals by only requesting the faceplate.

270px-Moarknow.png

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I work at a dental office, if the drive has had confidential stuff on it we just toss it into what is effectively a woodchipper.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    hard_disk_crusher.jpg

Oh, I just remembered that pic my dad sent me of a wanged drive he sent away for data recovery.

The recovery guys sent a picture back. The drive head had scratched away all the metal from the drive platters leaving just glass disks. :P

edit: here it is. That's one drive you won't recover any data from.

Echo on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Wow, you guys deal well with confidential stuff.

In the UK it's customary to leave it all on CDs in a public place. Unencrypted. Ideally with "Top Secret" written on it. If you're a government official in any case.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Oh, I just remembered that pic my dad sent me of a wanged drive he sent away for data recovery.

The recovery guys sent a picture back. The drive head had scratched away all the metal from the drive platters leaving just glass disks. :P

edit: here it is. That's one drive you won't recover any data from.

Nice, looks like a next gen vinyl replacement :P

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wouldn't DBAN work just fine?

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Muriden wrote: »

Not on a Mac.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Not on a Mac.

That'll work fine on a mac, actually, both PPC and Intel.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pft. You should be keeping sensitive things like taxes or whatever at least in an encrypted Truecrypt image/partition/thumbdrive. You never know when a ninja is going to infiltrate your defenses.

Thats what I do (and I don't leave bank data on a computer anyways). An encrypted image file which also contains misc data of several GB (movies, game installation) etc., so that nobody could "snag" the file easily and have their way with it.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Not on a Mac.

So why does this exist?

Better safe than sorry, just use the OS X install disc. You already have this anyway if you have a Mac.

Satan. on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you thought putting your HD on a space shuttle and crashing it into Texas would safely destroy your data, well... you thought wrong.

This is pretty amazing.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It's nice to see the Colombia's trip wasn't all for naught. :)

Kris on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    But at minimum I'd do the 7-pass. 1-pass is too easy to recover data from.

There is not a person on these boards capable of restoring from a 1-pass erase. Its not even slightly easy.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Not on a Mac.

So why does this exist?

Better safe than sorry, just use the OS X install disc. You already have this anyway if you have a Mac.

That link is to a page stating that DBAN supports macs, which proves my point.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]