As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pimp My Ride: iPod Classic

HilleanHillean Registered User regular
I recently picked up my first iPod (80gig Classic), and I was wondering what kind of accessories and/or programs work well with it?

I know iTunes is the basic, but I'm fairly new to the product, curious on what everyone's opinions are.

greenguy1980.jpg
Hillean on

• Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    iTunes is, in my opinion, the best application to use to manage your music/your iPod. If you're on a Mac, it's really the only choice. I know Winamp can talk to iPods, but I don't like the interface. Not sure about WMP.

The only real accessory you need for your iPod is a screen protector (something like this). Get a case if you care about the back getting scratched, but otherwise, I find that accessories are a waste of money.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As far as scratch protection goes, I've always had good luck with www.bestskinsever.com. They have custom-cut skins to fit pretty much every device that aren't very expensive. I've had one on my 5G ipod, phone, and DS and haven't had a problem yet.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For my 5.5gen, I really like the Contour Showcase. I know some people just use screen protectors or rubber sleeves, but those aren't really going to help at all if you drop the thing. I like the hard case/rubberized edges. Sure, it won't perform miracles, but I'd rather have it there than nothing at all.

And lo, they make one for the classic as well: link

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I use this case for my 80GB classic. clicky.

It's a really nice case, matches the black finish, screen is protected behind a plastic piece, and it doesn't bulk it up too bad. I had a similar case for my 4th gen iPod, and liked it so much I bought the same case for the classic when I bought it.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For my 5.5gen, I really like the Contour Showcase. I know some people just use screen protectors or rubber sleeves, but those aren't really going to help at all if you drop the thing. I like the hard case/rubberized edges. Sure, it won't perform miracles, but I'd rather have it there than nothing at all.

And lo, they make one for the classic as well: link

I have one of these, it's pretty nice.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think this case is awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Reflect-Chrome-Mirrored-Case/dp/B000MVJ1MU

My friend has one, and there is also a non mirrored version.

For my 6th gen 80gb, im actually using a 5th gen 60gb Agent18 hard shell case. Since the 6th gen is slimmer than the old ipod there is some empty space between the back to the ipod and the back of the case. So i solved this by cutting up a bandana and folding it accordingly to where it fills up the gap. I get compliments on it all the time.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    I think this case is awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Reflect-Chrome-Mirrored-Case/dp/B000MVJ1MU

My friend has one, and there is also a non mirrored version.

For my 6th gen 80gb, im actually using a 5th gen 60gb Agent18 hard shell case. Since the 6th gen is slimmer than the old ipod there is some empty space between the back to the ipod and the back of the case. So i solved this by cutting up a bandana and folding it accordingly to where it fills up the gap. I get compliments on it all the time.

That sir is a fucking awesome case.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    does it obfuscate the screen at all? that mirrored one.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    does it obfuscate the screen at all? that mirrored one.

It darkens it up a little bit, but unless you are in bright sunlight it doesn't really affect it. Just have to set the brightness all the way up.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I ordered a Griffin Reflect case, it looks pretty badass... thanks :D

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hillean wrote: »
    I ordered a Griffin Reflect case, it looks pretty badass... thanks :D

You've just been pimped

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, if you're like me, you'll want some way to play it through your car stereo. If you have a tape deck in your car, I'd say go with a tape adapter- the radio transmitters often have static issues, in my experience.

The only other accessory I've used, aside from a case, is the Altec Lansing inMotion IM9. It's the best portable player I've seen, it's rugged, it's loud, doesn't drain its batteries too quickly, etc. I probably sound like a shill, but I really do recommend it, if it looks like the sort of thing you'd use.

Tarantio on