Options

Apartment Hunting

MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've just graduated college (yay me!), got a job, and I am now apartment hunting. I've got some standard questions to ask (utilities included, lease length, kitchen appliances included, parking, laundry, proximity to stores), but I figured I'd ask PA for its advice. What other information should I be asking for? What about viewings? Anything I should be thinking about in particular, any 'gotchas'?

Malyonsus on

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Be aware of your deadline for notification to move out, it'll be 60 or 30 days. Ask about the parking situation, and if you're using a locater of some kind, ask about average utility prices at each complex.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    noise restrictions is a big one. Also ask about what it will cost you if you need to break the lease.

CooterTKE on
  • Options
    -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Malyonsus wrote: »
    So I've just graduated college (yay me!), got a job, and I am now apartment hunting. I've got some standard questions to ask (utilities included, lease length, kitchen appliances included, parking, laundry, proximity to stores), but I figured I'd ask PA for its advice. What other information should I be asking for? What about viewings? Anything I should be thinking about in particular, any 'gotchas'?

Maybe if there is a train that runs every morning at 3:00 AM.... just in case.

How much they want for security deposit/first month.

How is crime in the immediate area, are the parking lots prone to break ins? (You might be able to call the local police department and ask them about this.

What are rules regarding changing the interior (example - if you want to paint a wall, will you need to paint it back before you move out?)

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    -Pet policy and any applicable pet rent.
    -Make sure you document and have your landlord sign documentation listing everything that's wrong/broken/missing when you move in, if you don't want to pay for it when you leave.
    -Check included utilities, and note the presence of appliances. Not everywhere will have a dishwasher. Ask about laundry facilities.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Double_FacesDouble_Faces Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Always ask when the last break-in was, if any. Also, if it's in an older area, be alert to lead paint.

In other words, don't gnaw on the walls.

Where ya moving?

Double_Faces on
    SSBB Code: 0258 9993 5495
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, if it's a complex with multiple floors, the top is usually the safest and the most quiet.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    SpecularitySpecularity Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As a follow-up to witch_ie's idea, I've found that the middle floor preserves heat/cold best (keeps costs down). Also, if it gets very hot in the summer where you are, you might want to see about getting a place that faces away from the sun in the hottest part of the day. I don't really have to air condition in the summer, even though it gets really hot, because I only get sun from about 8-11:30am, and there's a big leafy tree just outside my porch.

Maybe ask, just for future reference (and I suppose this would be something to ask once you're more sure about a place), what they can do about packages/deliveries. My apartment building has security doors, so anything big (or live, like flowers) that are tough to leave in the mailbox can be left with the landlady IF I let her know that I was expecting something.

I can't think of much that you haven't already covered, otherwise! Looks to me like you're pretty prepared.

Specularity on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2008
    check the windows when looking at the apartment, you can usually tell if they are going to be drafty, or are pretty solid at keeping the cold out. shitty windows will increase heating costs in the winter, and likewise in the summer if you use AC.

It's not a big thing, but its something I've always been told to check.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks guys. I've got a viewing tomorrow, hopefully I can get this worked out and start worrying about moving the way too much stuff I've accumulated at college.

Oh, for the person who asked, I'm working in in the Concord/Lexington area (Boston).

Malyonsus on