As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

buying card desks at PAX?

airdishairdish Registered User new member
edited May 2008 in PAX Archive
This will be my first time to go to PAX. I would like to play Magic or WOW or whatever card games are out there, but I don’t have any desks. Will there be a booth at PAX where I can buy a starter deck, or should I bring my own?

airdish on

• Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't know if you'll be able to fit a desk in your backpack...

Sorry, had to. I don't recall seeing anyone selling starter decks at the convention centre, but I'm sure you'd be able to find a game store nearby otherwise.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You can get a starter deck for WOW from the UDE booth. It won't be competitive, but it will give you everything you need to learn how to play the game. They also run beginner sessions all day.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    there is a table top area where you can play cards man with lots of people that are always willing to play. I'm sure if you go to the UDE booth you'll be able to find people to play with there too they had a few tables setup.

I think there were three rooms with long tables and another room with circular tables just sitting there for tabletop gaming.

Grath on
  • Options
    jonrosingjonrosing Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't know about Magic or WOW, but last year at the Spoils booth they had sit-down beginner sessions, where they walk you through the game. At the end they let you keep the cards (Themed starter decks in my case).

jonrosing on
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    To be safe, I'd try and look around your area for card/comic shops or other nerdy type stores to find Magic before you go. I also remember that the Wizards booth had boxes of Tenth Edition for sale, not sure if they had single booster packs or starters available though.

If you bring a card game, chances are you'll find someone to play it with in the Tabletop area.

b0wser on
  • Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There were a few booths in the expo hall last year selling merchandise (dunno if they were selling cards, but saw some table games I think).

Last year at PAX was my first time playing WoWTCG. I played in like 4 or 5 "starter deck tournaments" which had a $15 entry fee & gave you a starter deck box (worth the $15 alone) plus prizes for playing. Then used the cards to play my buddies during breaks... good times.

Hoping they bring the most recent WoWTCG this time though... last year they had Azeroth (1st set) even though Fires (3rd set) was launching that very same weekend.

But yea... you'll find no shortage of people, games & table surfaces to play at PAX...

nearlysober on
  • Options
    munkyboy0930munkyboy0930 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got like a booster box worth of 10th edition from the swag bags. at the end they were just giving them out. I sold all the spoils packs I got for like 25 dollars it was awesome.

munkyboy0930 on
    trainer.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whoa, they were GIVING away 10th edition packs? Holy crap, that's awesome! I'm down for some Magic action for sure. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Heh yeah, there was a 10th booster in each swag bag, and lots and lots of leftover swag bag.
    I got 43, myself ^^*

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Holy crap, that's like a box and a half... you'd have to pay probably a hundred bucks or more retail for that. That's really awesome! Did you get them when Wizards gave them away at the end, or did you get them from people who didn't want them?

OOhhh... that brings up an interesting idea. We should start an "anticipatory swag trade" thread... like an "IF they give X swag this year and Y Swag, I'll trade my X for your Y" kind of thing. =) MMmmm swag goodness. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There was also a booster of The Spoils in each swag bag last year, which I managed to get 10 of out of the box of leftover Bags on the last day. I also got 3 starter decks of it from doing the demo at their booth, and bought one Tournament Deck for $13.

They have since sat here collecting dust along with all my old Magic cards I never use.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
This discussion has been closed.