As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Saving Gas Money

HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academysumma cum laudeRegistered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Usually when the tank is near empty I get about $20 of regular and go on my merry way. Of course, since the gas prices are skyrocketing nowadays, I get less gas for my money and must return more often with another $20 in hand to get even less gas than I got the last time, which is getting to be quite infuriating.

I'm in the suburb so there's a lot of stop-and-go driving involved. I'm not sure how many miles are driven a day since I drive either my mom or dad's car when they're not using them, and really I'm not sure about the gas mileage but one car is a Honda Odyssey and the other is an old, old Volvo sedan (don't know the model.)

My question is this; would it be cheaper in the long run to fill the tank every time we're out, or keep filling it with set $20 increments?

We're really tight on money here but we also really need our cars. Filling the tanks of the cars takes ~$60-$70 each, and the price just keeps on rising. Advice much appreciated :D.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
NNID: Hakkekage
Hakkekage on

• Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ignoring prices, filling up at intervals is better than having a full tank. The extra weight from the full tank reduces gas mileage, as well as evaporates? from what I've heard.

Driving local is not going to be fun on your wallet with all the traffic lights. I try to look further ahead at the light to judge whether I should speed up or down. If the light's already yellow, take your foot off the pedal and just cruise to the light, if you're lucky, the light will turn green just as you approach.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would imagine that the effect of the weight of gas on fuel efficiency is proportional to the weight of gas/weight of the car.

Which shouldn't be a lot, unless your "car" is an SR-71.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Filling up when you see gas cheap helps. I fill up frequently, whenever I see prices drop. I live in a college town, so I drive about an average of 2 miles a day.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well the Odyssey is a minivan and eats up gas like a motherfucker, so I'm not sure if the weight of the tank really adds much to its performance.

lordswing: yeah, I already try to keep my foot off the pedal/brake as much as possible.

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't forget to take care of your car. I changed my air filter and got some fuel injector cleaner and almost doubled my gas mileage (though it's a used POS, the guy before me probably never touched it).
    Both of these are insanely easy to do as well, a bottle of injector cleaner is probably 5 bucks at Wal-Mart and you just squeeze it in your gas tank. The filter should be about the same price there to and you just pop the old out and the new in, I do mine in the parking lot I got it at even.

A simple tune up can do wonders.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    DavaDava Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fill up early in the morning, when the temperatures are cooler. Gas is sold by volume, not weight. So when the temperatures are lower, you get a lot more gas per gallon than when it's warmer.

Dava on
    petition_banner.JPG
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Grr, I hate not being able to edit my posts.

Almost forgot, I swear I heard somewhere once that up to 33% of your gas mileage is dependent on the way you drive. You mentioned taking your foot off the gas? Try more so to watch your revs. That's really what can eat up your gas. If it's an automatic, usually when you take your foot off the gas a little bit you should get an up shift. When I deliver pizzas I give myself a "driving like an ass hole line" at 3,000 RPMs.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I forgot, how do you pay? I have a Chase BP card that gives me 5% rebates on gas at BP stations. My friend has another Chase card that gets him 5% rebates from any gas station, which I must ask him what it's called.

5% might not sound like much, but with gas prices these days, that's at least 15 cents off a gallon. With BP, I just go online and once I get $25 in rebates, they'll send me a $25 check.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dava wrote: »
    Fill up early in the morning, when the temperatures are cooler. Gas is sold by volume, not weight. So when the temperatures are lower, you get a lot more gas per gallon than when it's warmer.

The holding tanks at gas stations are underground and are pretty thick. While the temperature of the gas does change a bit, I wouldn't really revolve my purchasing schedule around it.

Lail on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I pay with cash since I'm only 17 and have no cards, but my mother uses her business card and gets a 5% rebate on gas as well.

Cocks: Ooh, good idea. I'll confront my dad about tuning up the cars.

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    lordswing wrote: »
    as well as evaporates? from what I've heard.

I'm pretty sure I read that this was a myth; the evaporation was barely measurable and didn't affect the mileage at all.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Pretty much everything being suggested here can be disregarded. Filling up earlier isn't going to make a big enough difference. The gas will not evaporate enough to make noticeable difference.

Driving smarter:
    Stop driving aggressively.
    Stop accelerating towards red lights. Time it so you can roll through red lights after they change, reducing the amount of acceleration you need to do.
    Stop using your AC, or at least reduce your usage. Crack your windows instead. There is no conclusive evidence that windows being down effects fuel efficiency by much more than 1%. Take what you hear about this with a grain of salt. Some people say it reduce efficiency by as much as 33%, but I find it hard to believe.

Maintaining Your Car:
    Wow, what a fucking shock! Keeping your car in tip top shape improves fuel economy?
    Keep your tires inflated to their specification (ususally 28-42 psi depending on the tire, weight of your vehicle and vehicle make).
    Keep your spark plugs, filters, oxygen sensors, and belts in good shape. This will make a huge difference.

This will help you save more money than filling up earlier in the morning, or keeping the gas from 'evaporating'.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    In reply to not using your AC, wasn't there a Mythbusters about that where it turned up as pretty much nothing?

It feels like it's holing you back, but that's just less torque/HP, your not necessarily using all that more gas.
    Because, well, it's energy from one place to the other. Now if having your AC on didn't slow your car down, then yes you'd be using more. :P

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Stop using your AC, or at least reduce your usage. Crack your windows instead. There is no conclusive evidence that windows being down effects fuel efficiency by much more than 1%. Take what you hear about this with a grain of salt. Some people say it reduce efficiency by as much as 33%, but I find it hard to believe.

Actually mythbusters did a show on it. Its based on the aerodynamics of the vehicle, the speed you're going, and how much windows are being opened vs the amount of ac being used.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yes, I understand everyone has a boner for Mythbusters, but don't base all your decisions on what they do.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well they created scientific evidence showing the difference between gas usage with an AC on full blast and all the windows being rolled down. Please show me evidence showing contrary proof, and not your "beliefs" for how much it can affect fuel efficiency.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My 'beliefs' are based upon a year or so of reading scientific articles based upon fuel efficiency. I started reading them since the gas prices skyrocketed. What I am getting at, though, is that mythbusters is hardly a singularly conclusive source to base opinions on, without having checked them against other scientific sources. Being the logical person you are, you must have realized this though.

But if you want to argue about this more, feel free to PM me, instead of using this thread.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If you don't think drag on a vehicle would lower gas efficiency then I don't know what to think. That being said I'm still waiting for you to show me evidence supporting your claims.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

This is incorrect; while gas is sold by volume, when gas is sold, it is sold at 21 degrees celsius. Even when gas stations buy it, it's automatically corrected to 21 degrees celsius. Infact, some gas stations even post on their pumps "Corrected to 21 degrees celsius". Time of day will not affect the volume of gas you get per dollar.

The best thing to do to save gas is coast to stops instead of speeding to stops. If you have a standard, drive in the highest gear (when applicable). If you're driving in town, use windows; if you're on the highway, use AC(I don't know if this is correct, don't quote me on it, but it's my personal belief). And take good care of your car. This includes (I know it's been said) air filter, and fuel injector. Another big one is exhaust, but that's much more expencive to get looked at or fixed.

Someone also said to not fill the tank, this all depends on the vechicle. My car has a 50 liter tank, I don't think for a second that will have anything to do with my fuel economy. However my trucks are a different story. One of them has a 150 liter tank with another secondary tank. His other argument was evaporation; although I don't know this for sure, but I thought the gas system was a closed system(again, I don't know for sure), so I don't know how evaporation would come into play.

Orestes on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, if you're in an automatic, be careful not to under-rev it, either. Accelerating when you're in too high a gear can kill your mileage, too. Basically, just keep in your mind how far down you're pressing the gas pedal, because that's the only thing that always directly correlates with how much gas you're using.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    If you don't think drag on a vehicle would lower gas efficiency then I don't know what to think. That being said I'm still waiting for you to show me evidence supporting your claims.
    Why not? Drag creates essentially more weight at higher speeds.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Exactly, which lowers fuel efficiency.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Exactly, which lowers fuel efficiency.
    Ah, wait, sorry, I'm tired, I read that as "I don't think drag" sorry chap.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ;) Wonder if we have an race car drivers in here. Or even better car designers. They'd be a good response for this thread.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ;) Wonder if we have an race car drivers in here. Or even better car designers. They'd be a good response for this thread.

Yes, racecar drivers would be great for a thread about fuel efficiency in city/suburb stop and go driving.

In relation to the driver's situation, in stop and go traffic, it is more fuel efficient to drive without the AC. Drag will not be nearly as strong at slower speeds as seen in the Mythbusters highway tests. I never said drag isn't going to effect a car. Perhaps I worded it poorly.
    "When you're driving across town, in stop-and-go traffic, it's more fuel efficient to drive with the air conditioning off, windows down."

So I concede, you're right about drag and fuel efficiency, but the mythbusters' experiment is moot in this situation, especially at such a low speed.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My roommate actually races cars, and there isn't much more here he says.

Check what your cars mileage, should be online, and then check yours.
    Make sure it's tuned up and don't have anything modded on your car (IE lift kits, bigger tires, rims etc.) as those would throw those numbers off. New exhaust, new intakes will improve your mileage a bit and give you more power. But your still pretty limited to whatever car you have.

I love my little 1.9 litter 5 speed Saturn. :P

Oh, and keep your car clean on the inside. Sure the weight is probably negligible but who doesn't mind a clean car anyway?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yes, racing cars doesn't have much to do with it, but they know about getting more power out of their car.
    Especially when they're pretty much building and racing the car themselves. And getting more power out of your car typically comes with getting better MPG.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wow, thanks for all the advice. A little more than I bargained for, really, but, uh...fill it in increments of $20, then?

Honestly I'm not a car buff, a lot of this is going over my head. You can make a thread in D&D about fuel efficiency though if you need to talk about it, but I can't keep up here. :oops:

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Evaporation doesn't really happen inside the tank, it's condensation that ends up messing up cars. The more air present in the gas tank, the more water can condense inside the tank from the gas heating and cooling. It's best to fill up your car more often than to let the vehicle get to empty and then only fill it up halfway.

Aurin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Orestes wrote: »

This is incorrect; while gas is sold by volume, when gas is sold, it is sold at 21 degrees celsius. Even when gas stations buy it, it's automatically corrected to 21 degrees celsius. Infact, some gas stations even post on their pumps "Corrected to 21 degrees celsius". Time of day will not affect the volume of gas you get per dollar.

Huh! That's interesting. I've never noticed that on pumps before. Is that common everywhere? I've read about filling up during cooler temperatures in several articles, including some consumer ratings mags. I wonder where that info came from originally.

Dava on
    petition_banner.JPG
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Actually mythbusters did a show on it. Its based on the aerodynamics of the vehicle, the speed you're going, and how much windows are being opened vs the amount of ac being used.

AAA says the cut-off speed is 40mph. Below that speed, it's more efficient to drive with the windows open and the AC off. Above that, at highway speeds, the AC is better because open windows create drag.
    http://energyhawk.com/gasoline/gas3.php

Dava on
    petition_banner.JPG
  • Options
    edited May 2008

So I concede, you're right about drag and fuel efficiency, but the mythbusters' experiment is moot in this situation, especially at such a low speed.

Their tests actually show, although theres was around 50mph, that windows down were better the slower you go and ac on the faster. So it really isn't a moot point.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/12/autos/ways_to_not_save_gas/?postversion=2008051315

Relevant article. Mentions most myths already exposed here. Says A/C not that big a factor.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Buy a motorcycle. 50+ MPG.
    Plus your organs can help other people if you get splatted.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tire pressure is huge. Also, using a manual and keeping it in neutral whenever you aren't applying gas (hills, stops, etc.) AC uses about 1-3 horsepower, which could affect your mileage depending on what you're driving, but it's usually not an issue. Windows are really another massively variable non-issue; technically you would increase the car's drag thereby reducing your mileage, but only at certain speeds and you would have to factor in the vehicles drag coeffecient. I drive a g35 coupe, a full tank of gas (60 fucking fuck fuck fucking dollars) will take me 300 miles if I zoom around everywhere and launch from stops and consistently take it up to 5600RPM, 400 miles if I shift around 3k, and 450 if I coast as much as possible. If you're in an automatic van or some shit then it's really going to be tire pressure, your air filter, and slow launches.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, using a manual and keeping it in neutral whenever you aren't applying gas (hills, stops, etc.)

Well this part, as far as hills go, is actually generally illegal, coasting in neutral that is.

I still do it, to an extent, like when I don't have a bunch of cars around me and I'm getting to be within 200 feet of a stop.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Also, using a manual and keeping it in neutral whenever you aren't applying gas (hills, stops, etc.)

Well this part, as far as hills go, is actually generally illegal, coasting in neutral that is.

I still do it, to an extent, like when I don't have a bunch of cars around me and I'm getting to be within 200 feet of a stop.

Yeah if Inspector Gadget was on the prowl and he stuck his extendo-neck into the cabin and figured out what gear I was in I suppose I would be screwed. Does the law says it's illegal to go down a hill(forward) in neutral? That's actually pretty interesting to know, but aside from the aforementioned cybernetic agent of law enforcement I'm not sure how they could possibly detect that.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, it's illegal, and I find it a bit strange, and I can't imagine how it'd be enforced, but it's a safety issue. It'd take you just that much longer to accelerate out of the way of something if that was called for, if you're starting in neutral.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Forbe! has the right idea. For a shorter version:

1) Keep your car tuned up - replace the spark plugs and air filter regularly at the very least (anyone can change these in a few minutes)
    2) Drive smoothly - slow acceleration and slow braking will drastically increase your mileage. Add in smooth steering just to be a better driver.

Those two steps will do far more for fuel economy than all the other random tips combined.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Septus wrote: »

This varies from state to state. Also, remember that fully depressing the clutch pedal is essentially the same as neutral.

Make sure the clutch is all the way to the floor, though, or else it'll be partially engaged and you'll wear it out faster.

And for a four-cylinder engine, the efficiency you lose by rolling down the windows is, while certainly present, still way better than the massive drop you'll get from turning on the AC.

Daedalus on
This discussion has been closed.