As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aspect ratios always screw with me

ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
For example, I'm watching a widescreen version of Harry Potter tonight. My TV is a stadard 4:3 (for now, give me a few months, eh?). My DVD player shows the movie in widescreen inside my 4:3. However, I can use 16:9 mode on my TV. When I do so, the picture clearly looks different. I think, better, but I was never very good and assuming what it's supposed to look like.

So, some help?

Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
Improvolone on

• Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I believe that the 16:9 mode on your television simply redirects the picture tube to only strike where a normal letterbox image would be displayed. Theoretically, this gives you more lines of resolution for the wide screen presentation and thus a sharper picture

It should look a little bit more crisp

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It seems to mostly affect the smooshed-ness of the image

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    if your 4:3 tv has a 16:9 mode, that's a good feature

you'll want to set the dvd player to 16:9 output first, (and leave it there forever), and then for anamorphic ("enhanced for widescreen tv") dvds, switch tv into 16:9 mode

for non anamorphic dvds, switch it to regular 4:3 mode

the difference is whether or dvd player or your tv is putting in the black bars. (you want your tv to do it if necessary). that'll result in higher resolution

Deusfaux on