As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't mess with [chat]

• Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I used to always hold chopsticks wrong despite my parents teaching me how to hold them properly at the age of like 6. Until I met my boyfriend and we went out for dim sum, and I saw him holding them correctly, which made me feel like I should hold them properly too, so I've been doing that since that day. So peer pressure (from a white guy) was the only thing that was capable of making me hold my chopsticks like an adult.

I dunno if I use chopsticks right, but I always raz people who use a fork and knife at a Chinese restaurant.

Nuts to you :P . I know how to use chopsticks, but I don't like them as an eating implement. I always get knives and forks at Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese/Japanese restaurants.

People can try to extol the virtues of chopsticks as some kind of superior eating instrument, and I think that's nonsense. They're a product of the cultures that also brought us this wonderful food. Well, you know what? I'm there for the food, not to pretend I'm part of a culture I ain't.

One of the funniest things that's ever happened to me was the other time when I went to dim sum with my boyfriend and another friend who was white. The waiter came and put down two forks on our table, one in front of each whitey. That's really the hallmark of service at "authentic" Chinese restaurants. Besides the super-secret double-elite menu that's only printed in Chinese.

And we've had a chopsticks discussion in [chat] before, but basically, now that I'm using chopsticks like an adult, I use them for pretty much everything. Part of it also that I could get disposable chopsticks so I can chuck them out and that doesn't feel as wasteful as plastic knives and forks, and I don't have to wash utensils. >.>

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jesus Christ you people seriously get upset over someone using a fork to eat noodles?

My Italian grandmother would beat you all with rolling pins.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jesus Christ you people seriously get upset over someone using a fork to eat noodles?

Asian noodles /= Italian pasta.

Doi.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They're both fucking noodles.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have science to do.

I need to make a neat protein.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Would she then use the pin to make food? I'd be willing to take some lumps for some good cookins.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Fuck it, I use a fork whenever I eat chinese food. Chopsticks are great and all, but I want the food in my fucking mouth. Not to play a little game to get it there first.

I can totally understand this for people who aren't used to using chopsticks, and I don't hold it against them, but the fact that some people do find chopsticks more convenient doesn't make them pretentious or anything. It's just what you're used to.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have science to do.

So do I.

I'm doing that protein folding puzzle game.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Italians have no say over anything to do with noodles, because they stole it from the Chinese in the first place.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I had some Japanese guy so surprised that I was eating with chopsticks perfectly fine.

Like, he was totally and utterly amazed.

So I saw him using a fork for some steak and I did the same thing. He was not amused.

@Irene: We may have stole it, but we made it so much better.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fuck it, I use a fork whenever I eat chinese food. Chopsticks are great and all, but I want the food in my fucking mouth. Not to play a little game to get it there first.

I can totally understand this for people who aren't used to using chopsticks, and I don't hold it against them, but the fact that some people do find chopsticks more convenient doesn't make them pretentious or anything. It's just what you're used to.

chopsticks are handy for lots of stuff. Even non-sticky rice is easy once you get used to it. or pick the plate/bowl up and hold it close.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Exactly. I don't like watching my mother eat her tom yum noodle with a fork because she struggles with it. It's a thin soup with lots of huge chunky bits and rice noodles that fall apart if you try to twirl them with a fork. It takes her like three times as long to eat hers because of it. I'm not one of those American fucks who eats his curry with chopsticks, I use a damn spoon like I'm supposed to.

Seriously. Should I eat my cereal with a fork too?

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmmm...this talk of noodles and dim sum makes me wish there was anything close to a "real" chinese restaurant in my town. What I wouldn't give for a good 7 organ soup right about now.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Italians have no say over anything to do with noodles, because they stole it from the Chinese in the first place.

I've had friends throw down over this argument.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I eat curry with naan bread.

Like you're supposed too.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You know, the chopsticks issue is one of the few times I have ever made a public scene in a restaurant with a perfect stranger.

I'm at an all-you-can-eat Sushi place. By default, they bring you chopsticks. You have to ask for forks. No big, I understand how it is, so I politely ask.

Some fucksock at the next table is like "Hahaha, using a fork. Why even bother going to get Sushi, why not just go to McDonalds?"

I look at this guy. White as the driven snow, his blond hair pulled back in a ponytail, his pleather trenchcoat draped over the back of his chair, his ratty Gundam Wing t-shirt straining to hold back his gut.

I just stood up, walked over, sat at his table, and asked for a reason why he felt the need to say that. Why he felt it was necessary when you are eating a meal in a restaurant to eat that meal exactly the way the people who created that food eat it, and why it was so important to loudly belittle someone because they aren't doing things the way you are.

I sat there and waited for an explanation while he awkwardly stammered an apology. I just got up and walked back to my table.
    Fuckin' weeaboos.

Pony on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I really fail to see how two pieces of wood are in any situation more effective then a multipronged instrument which is designed to easily skewer or pick up food? Like can one of you descibe a situation in which chopsticks are superior, and more importantly why?

Leitner on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The best implement to eat Chinese with is clearly a shovel

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I had some Japanese guy so surprised that I was eating with chopsticks perfectly fine.

So I saw him using a fork for some steak and I did the same thing. He was not amused.

Oh cmon, you really can't deny that the learning curve for chopsticks is a lot steeper than the learning curve for knives and forks :P

Also, ramen >> pasta. And I'm using ramen in the traditional sense of noodle soup, not the instant lunch dealies.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Yes. freeze it first.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    OK, question for you girls out there:

An old smelly T-shirt of your lover: good gift y/n?

(see H/A for details)

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Oh cmon, you really can't deny that the learning curve for chopsticks is a lot steeper than the learning curve for knives and forks :P

Also, ramen >> pasta. And I'm using ramen in the traditional sense of noodle soup, not the instant lunch dealies.

You are so wrong.

So utterly wrong it hurts my head.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Satan. wrote: »
    Nerissa's gettin' me all hot.

I'll be back later.

God damnit

---

Usually I'd say stay the course, etc. etc. but yeah you might want to give it a bit of a rest. Maybe one more day, this could be the rough part. I don't have a kid yet so I really shouldn't be dispensing advice.

Is the stuff under the dashes to Nerissa or Zen, because everything through "give it a rest," and especially that phrase, could apply to Zen as well.

'rissa. I'd never rip Zen on his schtick.

I think someone might rip OFF Zen's "shtick" if he, uh, keeps it up (puns intended).

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    duallainduallain Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm back home and bored as hell. I'm going to try and go for a bike ride, get a hair cut and otherwise be productive.

Damn, having to do shit never really stops does it?

duallain on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    texting is more expensive than getting data from space

£374.49 per MB cost of transmitting one MB of text = D:

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    I look at this guy. White as the driven snow, his blond hair pulled back in a ponytail, his pleather trenchcoat draped over the back of his chair, his ratty Gundam Wing t-shirt straining to hold back his gut.

VC?

*ducks*

Satan. on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    OK, question for you girls out there:

An old smelly T-shirt of your lover: good gift y/n?

(see H/A for details)
    Not as good as underwear

Elendil on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Yes. freeze it first.

No. use a spork.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    Hmmm...this talk of noodles and dim sum makes me wish there was anything close to a "real" chinese restaurant in my town. What I wouldn't give for a good 7 organ soup right about now.

You'll eat at Bo Ling's and you'll like it, damnit!

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jeez, Irene, using chopsticks is easy. Learning how to use chopsticks is easier than learning how to finger yourself, I bet.

If you want, I can teach you.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    I really fail to see how two pieces of wood are in any situation more effective then a multipronged instrument which is designed to easily skewer or pick up food? Like can one of you descibe a situation in which chopsticks are superior, and more importantly why?

Chopsticks are much better for eating Asian noodle soup because it is usually prepared with large chunks of meat and vegetables instead of smaller bite-sized pieces. This requires you to take several bites to finish a piece, or jam the whole thing in your mouth. Using a spoon is not really an option because the pieces are so large, and it is extremely difficult to brace a piece of food down in a bowl of soup to cut it into bite size pieces or pierce it with a fork.

Similarly, the noodles in the soup are much, much longer than Italian pasta, and are not really intended to be consumed in one bite. Chopsticks allow you to pinch a bunch, bring them to your mouth, and slurp until you reach the desired amount. You use the chopsticks to "guide" the noodles to your mouth as you slurp. It's difficult to describe until you see it done, but trust me, it's soooooo much easier than using a fork or a spoon or what have you.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The interesting part of that story is that I didn't deal with it by witty come-backs, or being loud angry, or physically assaulting the guy.

I just appeared weirdly concerned and sincere, and that was very unsettling to the guy who made the remark.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I want to see fast food that's organic and "health fit."

So I can firebomb it before it spreads.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »

You'll eat at Bo Ling's and you'll like it, damnit!

Bo Ling's is good, I do enjoy the dim sum brunch every now and then. But it still doesn't compare to some of the hole in the wall fare I've had in San Fran and New York.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have science to do.

So do I.

I'm doing that protein folding puzzle game.

I very much approve of that protein folding puzzle game.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You realize in other cultures slurping is offensive, right?

Hence, eating with other utensils?

Like, why they might not be using chopsticks in a traditional manner for traditional food and instead forgo the sticks for a fork or something?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Woah, I feel so much better after forcing myself to get off my fat ass and do the treadmill despite my headache and a twinge in my knee after football today.

Tav on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Who gets upset? I just give people a hard time. If it's wrong to make fun of your friends for the little things, then I don't wanna be right.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »

Who gets upset? I just give people a hard time. If it's wrong to make fun of your friends for the little things, then I don't wanna be right.

I've had situations like Pony happen at restaurants to friends of mine.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What does the noun in today's comic mean? I do German in school :P

Tav on
This discussion has been closed.